• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Applaud Monroe PD

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Last night the Monroe PD held a community event at Lake Tye park in Monroe, this public park is within 1000 feet of a public K-12 school. The event had around 36 local business booths, entertainment, kid entertainment toys, food, fire department, ambulance service and Monroe PD.

Among the events were:
  • SRT (special response team) scenarios where they displayed how SRT responds to bank robberies (they used percussion grenades and armored police vehicle)
  • K9 demonstrations
  • Search and Rescue (including water rescues on lake tye, ran by the fire department)
  • Dunk-a-cop :)
  • Many more

It seemed that the whole police force of Monroe was at the event, if I were to guess approximately 50 officers were at the event. I open carried the entire event, I won’t go as far to say they didn’t notice me and stare at times but In the end not one of the LEO’s confronted me about carrying, including the SRT team while trying to take a picture in front of the armored police vehicle and SRT team (which unfortunately did not turn out). Going to the event, I expected to get confronted by at least one officer, so as always I had the recorder running and informational printouts at the ready. I was extremely pleased with the outcome, I want to applaud Monroe PD for letting me enjoy the evening with my family without harassment.

A few of the more notable moments in the evening:
  • The wife asking, ‘why does that cop have a gun on his chest and on his side’ response ‘honey, that’s a taser’
  • The school mascot taking a tumble
  • Watching the citizens dunk the cops in the dunk tank
  • The look on the faces of the church group that had setup a booth as I strolled by and offered a pamphlet
  • Meeting a firefighter/paramedic from close to my home town in Montana
  • The percussion grenade that they did not warn us about before hand
  • Leaving and heading home after a nice evening with the family without harassment

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
How effective was the percussion grenade though? Where was it shot (or thrown) at?

They threw it approx 5-10 feet in front of the pursuant car after it came to a stop, while the perps where attempting to flee on foot. It knocked the perp closest to the grenade to the ground (not sure if it was acted or not). Personally, I would say it was effective, it distracted me. I would not want to be any closer to it than I was, which was about 30-40 feet away.

OrangeIsTrouble

Oh that makes sense, for some reason I was thinking of it being thrown at the car and wondering how powerful/dangerous it has to be to stop that car....
facepalm2.gif

Bucks Gun Shop

That is an event that they host every summer, which I have been to on a number of occassions... While I have never open carried at the event I have seen one or two others in the past that have... To my knowledge, I am not aware of any instance where the Monroe PD made an issue of it... Now - Drive 26 mph down 162nd Street SE which turns into Main and they will stop, cuff, wrestle to the ground and hit you with the book!!!! :eek:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Now - Drive 26 mph down 162nd Street SE which turns into Main and they will stop, cuff, wrestle to the ground and hit you with the book!!!! :eek:

Only if your not carrying... :) lol.

I hear you, they do seem to be strick on traffic laws. It's better than infringing my rights though!

amlevin

Only if your not carrying... :) lol.

I hear you, they do seem to be strick on traffic laws. It's better than infringing my rights though!

Budget Crises=Enhanced Enforcement

Anything to get more money into the City Treasury. As it is, they only cite a small percentage of the traffic offenders. Look for more vigorous action everywhere. After all, those Officers have Union Dues that have to be kept up. Can't afford to loose their jobs due to a Budget Crunch.