• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scott County Courthouse

langzaiguy

The Scott County Fiscal Court would apparently prefer citizens to openly carry their firearms are there are ordinances against CC. A friend and I were OCing at our county's Republican convention. He got there first and apparently had a run in with a couple deputies. They asked him to leave and he stood his ground. The deputies called the sheriff who confirmed us in the right. A magistrate was there as well and also supported us. The two deputies remained throughout the event but no more was said. Guess some education did them right.

langzaiguy

No, this is a different sheriff. In the primary two years ago, there were two Republicans running to challenge the Democratic incumbent who had violated our 2nd Amendment rights. One candidate was for OC and the other against. I supported the lone Republican who recognized the Constitution and walked door to door for him in order to get him elected. Thankfully, he has kept true to his word.

The same friend was looking to OC at our UK Ag Extension office. He inquired to the sheriff about the legality (probably a poor idea) to which the sheriff told him to CC to make things easier. Obviously, it isn't against the law to OC at this site, but I wonder--it being a quasi-governmental agency, if they could insist on his leaving.

UnfetteredMight

I am unaware of any KRS pertaining to "Failure to follow a lawful order". Though you may be referring to a local ordinance.

The only KRS that are similar are 525.160 and 525.050 and neither one applies to an OCer going about their daily business.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have one of these buildings at my county fair grounds. I'm fairly certain the building is owned by the county, but it has a UK logo on the front of the building and says agricultural center underneath. I remember the local paper complaining about the price the county paid for the construction of the building, and it only being used several times a year. Our building is nothing more than a big warehouse with restrooms in it, so I have no idea why UK would place their name on it.

UnfetteredMight

I didn't say that I thought that was a valid charge, I just said it kept coming up. I agree that neither of these charges apply to a person legally carrying a firearm. I only meant that it couldn't apply because that would not be a "lawful order" even if there was such a law. Thank you for clarifying this. I don't know how one person can "disperse" and 525.050 needs a riot to be valid.

Sorry gutshot, i didnt mean to imply you were giving any validity to their statement.

I was only pointing out something that could be what someone may have misconstrued as a charge for not following a lawful order, albeit a false charge.

It pays to know the particulars of charges a LEO may try to intimidate you with.

boomer92266

They can do that as long as they have passed the ordinance required by KRS 237.115. Do you know if they have done so? You should look into it. They cannot use that to restrict OC and if people were to start OC'ing in there they might like CC better and take down the signs.

edit: Are you talking about the county courthouse or the new Monroe County Jucdicial Center?

i'll ask next time i'm up there, and its on the county court house doors. thanks