• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gold Carry State

FPV02

No more time wasting for me

Your first letter that you posted by proxy was an insult to motorcycle riders, open carriers, as well family. It was stereotyping of individuals and made it very clear that open carry was not only not your cup of tea, but offensive. You can play and claim tactics, but it is clear from that posting that you were involved with saddling us with these restrictions in the first place. I was perfectly happy with open carry as it was before YOU stuck you nose in it.

Clue we already have constitutional open carry, stop fudging with it for YOUR agenda!

Thanks BUT no thanks!

BTW this is open carry site, something you are not interested in. I will ask you to keep your condescending tone to your own.

Are you really that incapable of differentiating between reality and public perception? First, I have nothing against bikers who, by the way, include most of my friends and GRNC's Legal Director. I actually DO spend time at biker bars. No condescension here, just ackowledgement of reality.

And what "restrictions" did I "saddle" you with? GS 14-269.3, the restriction on firearms in restaurants with on-premises alcohol consumption permits, dates from 1977, when I was a freshman in college. Nothing in the concealed handgun law changed any aspect of open carry in North Carolina, which has always been and remains today legal. (Nor would constitutional carry which, if you don't know it, involves concealed carry without a permit.)

I know your type too well: You divide and you waste time with infighting. Together with Walt Dannel and Hugh Adams, I started GRNC in 1994 rather than getting involved with NCRPA exactly to avoid that sort of infighting -- the type where you spend more time and effort fighting each other than the actual enemy.

So go ahead: Shoot the messanger, and beat your chest about all the things GRNC should be doing. Meanwhile, the VOLUNTEERS of GRNC (which has never included you, to the best of my knowledge) have laws to pass (or repeal) and anti-gun politicians to defeat.

To anyone reading this thread who has an open mind, rest assured that GRNC will be working for legislation to support ALL gun owners -- just as we recently defeated in court and then repealed from statutes NC's "State of Emergency" gun ban -- an action that just recently helped CHP and OC advocates alike.

Come on out and work a gun show. Get involved with the Legislative Action Team. Help make a difference.

Paul

WalkingWolf

Are you really that incapable of differentiating between reality and public perception? First, I have nothing against bikers who, by the way, include most of my friends and GRNC's Legal Director. I actually DO spend time at biker bars. No condescension here, just ackowledgement of reality.

And what "restrictions" did I "saddle" you with? GS 14-269.3, the restriction on firearms in restaurants with on-premises alcohol consumption permits, dates from 1977, when I was a freshman in college. Nothing in the concealed handgun law changed any aspect of open carry in North Carolina, which has always been and remains today legal. (Nor would constitutional carry which, if you don't know it, involves concealed carry without a permit.)

I know your type too well: You divide and you waste time with infighting. Together with Walt Dannel and Hugh Adams, I started GRNC in 1994 rather than getting involved with NCRPA exactly to avoid that sort of infighting -- the type where you spend more time and effort fighting each other than the actual enemy.

So go ahead: Shoot the messanger, and beat your chest about all the things GRNC should be doing. Meanwhile, the VOLUNTEERS of GRNC (which has never included you, to the best of my knowledge) have laws to pass (or repeal) and anti-gun politicians to defeat.

To anyone reading this thread who has an open mind, rest assured that GRNC will be working for legislation to support ALL gun owners -- just as we recently defeated in court and then repealed from statutes NC's "State of Emergency" gun ban -- an action that just recently helped CHP and OC advocates alike.

Come on out and work a gun show. Get involved with the Legislative Action Team. Help make a difference.

Paul

Awww now you know MY type~~bugger off, you have not done yourself any favors today. Just another politician looking out for your own agenda, and not even a good one at that. You made yourself clear with your predisposed notions of others. And for the record I don't care about the emotions of others, I care about my rights. The more you post the more anti you sound.

ncwabbit

Welcome to the forum Paul...
Quote: VOLUNTEERS of GRNC have laws to pass (or repeal) and anti-gun politicians to defeat;
quote ‘... as we recently defeated in court and then repealed the from statutes NC's "State of Emergency" gun ban.’ unquote;
From your organizational website quote: GRNC passed a clean concealed handgun reciprocity law
GRNC passed legislation enabling concealed handgun permit-holders to avoid redundant
GRNC recently passed omnibus gun bill HB 650, which includes:
Anti gun legislation GRNC has defeated:
Quote 2. Drafted and passed by Grass Roots North Carolina in 2005, House Bill 1311, the “Domestic Violence Victims Empowerment Act,” unquote (http://www.grnc.org/pauls-blog/327-grncs-media-warning-shot-found-its-mark)

and your other statements where your organization has passed laws...strange to think why do the citizens of NC have a General Assembly if GRNC passes our laws for NC citizens?

Oh by the way, your comment regarding your organization defeated the NC emergency ban statute: I find it quite interesting to note the lawsuit was brought to the courts by the Second amendment foundation representing several NC citizens and as your own press release stated GRNC joined late in the game yet your organization seems to be taking full credit!!

GRNC alerts are nothing more than ‘the sky is falling’ or the ‘wolf is coming’ rhetoric designed to only raise funds for your organization. Tho of late it is more about folding and handing out GRNC propaganda.
Also Paul, i bet you are quite thankful NC does not require non-profits or political action type organizations (you control three at the moment) to provide public disclosure of how their donations are distributed. I know Paul, putting all your funding into the campaign chests of the political leaders exhausts your funding. Interesting fact Paul, did you know in NC those political leaders have to publically tell the state where their money comes from and it is an interesting adventure to delve into those documents and see how much money is actually provided by any of your POCs!!

Quote: ‘What I sell the public on, and what I am actually after...’ unquote but are you Paul (quote) ‘...really that incapable of differentiating between reality and public perception? (unquote) from what i can read Paul i am not so sure!! question...the olde adage...there is no I in team comes to mind

Paul regarding what you sell and what you are actually after: discuss the Dan Besse’s article where you posted a reporter’s nearly complete home address w/a link to photos of his wife and small children? And your response was you had to set an example to the media to let them know...they can no longer attack gun owners with impunity (http://www.grnc.org/pauls-blog/327-grncs-media-warning-shot-found-its-mark & http://bluenc.com/despicable-behavior-gun-fanatic ). Good heavens Paul this humble gun owner is embarrassed for you as it is my personal opinion that is abuse of your position and tremendous power as the chief officer of GRNC. So i must ask, if I or others challenge your perspective of your world as you believe it to be, will publish their identities and location also? To disregard the safety of the wife and children noncombatants is horrific.

For other condescending BS you spout your attitude quote 'I know your type too well...’ and 'To anyone reading this thread who has an open mind..' so Paul if we are not a member of your elite group passing laws what are we? oh wait here is what paul said about that and Paul, I can’t believe you truly feel this way? Quote “When I say I can sell the state on concealed handgun permit-holders who are certified as sane, sober and law-abiding...’ unquote...and the OC membership as well as all the NC citizens who open carry it appears you do not consider us certified as sane, sober and law-abiding? I am aghast you did such a disservice to those who open carry as it appears we are mindless creatures w/a gun!

Wabbit

Ps: by the way how did the palmer case ever work out Paul?

PPS: i also find it quite interesting after being a member for over 2 years you have lowered your standards and joined in our conversations...let's see 30 times and in this thread you have posted twice...

Last edited:

FPV02

The Wascally Wabbit is Wong

Dear "Wabbit":

Now, I am afraid you are perpetuating a dangerous myth – namely, that GRNC-PVF throws money at politicians. This is a time-waster, but with the election behind us I’ve got a few minutes, so what the hell. Your quotes and my responses are below.

“and your other statements where your organization has passed laws...strange to think why do the citizens of NC have a General Assembly if GRNC passes our laws for NC citizens?”

Sounds like you’ve been talking to Roulette. Which NCRPA sycophant are you? Russ Parker? Did GRNC volunteers vote on the bills in question? Don’t be ridiculous. But did they write the bills? You bet. Did they elect the politicians who sponsored the legislation and voted for it? You bet. Did they drop thousands of phone calls and emails to the pols who eventually voted for it? You bet. Did they show up at the offices of key committee voters to ensure that, even with schedule conflicts, all the necessary votes showed up to get the bills through committee? You bet. Did they provide the talking points and legal analyses to make sure the bills moved? You bet. Did we make the deal with Perdue’s legislative advisor, former House rep (and GRNC sponsor) Pryor Gibson, to get her to sign HB 650? You bet. Maybe you should worry less about syntax and more about substance.

“Oh by the way, your comment regarding your organization defeated the NC emergency ban statute: I find it quite interesting to note the lawsuit was brought to the courts by the Second amendment foundation representing several NC citizens and as your own press release stated GRNC joined late in the game yet your organization seems to be taking full credit!!”

Wrong again. Alan Gura and I go way back. He has, in fact, represented GRNC in the past. GRNC was involved in Bateman from the beginning. Gura called me up about 6 months before the McDonald v. Chicago decision was announced, asking me to help him round up plaintiffs for the suit, which we did. We filed on the same day McDonald was announced. Up until the filing, it was all done very quietly to avoid giving the NRA an early heads up.

Later, Gottlieb, Gura and I rather carefully deflected the NRA’s attempt to have the lawsuit dismissed as moot by trying to repeal the SOE law. Although Gura did not initially want to make public the argument that litigation was preferably to legislation (he felt a judge might not like it), it became necessary when the NRA, failing to get action on SB 594, started having members pressure Republicans. Their final maneuver was to have Doug Berger try to amend HB 650 on the Senate floor after objecting to having 3rd reading on the same day as 2nd reading (which requires unanimous consent). After the Senate adjourned, with 3rd reading on HB 650 not complete, I spent the night wondering what Berger was up to. Only as the Senate convened the next day did it dawn on me he would try to hang the SOE repeal onto HB 650. I called the Senator who hated Berger most, Deb Clary. Although she was in session, her legislative assistant relayed Berger’s intention to her on the floor. The message I got back was: “Deb says don’t worry. They have it handled.” Shortly thereafter, just as HB 650 hit the floor, the chamber adjourned for about 10 minutes, after which it reconvened and passed HB 650without amendment, the Republicans having explained the realities of the situation to Doug.

The next day, Roullette was not a happy camper. In fact, according to staffers in the Senate President Pro Tem's office, he became persona non grata in the Senate.

The GRNC press releases you describe all listed the Second Amendment Foundation, which bankrolled the lawsuit, and were in fact carefully coordinated with Gura and Gottlieb. Essentially, Gura provided the legal expertise, Gottlieb bankrolled the op, and GRNC recruited plaintiffs and ran legislative interference to ensure the NRA didn’t once again interfere with Gura’s efforts, as they did in both Heller and McDonald. Don't take my word for it. Ask Gottlieb.

“GRNC alerts are nothing more than ‘the sky is falling’ or the ‘wolf is coming’ rhetoric designed to only raise funds for your organization. Tho of late it is more about folding and handing out GRNC propaganda.”

Good God. You actually believe that, don’t you? GRNC pays nobody, operates on a shoestring, and has invested nearly all the funds raised in the "Remember in November" project by which we distributed nearly 150,000 voter guides – with highly satisfactory results in North Carolina, I should note.

We do occasionally send fundraisers (as all political non-profits should), but GRNC alerts don’t make more than a peripheral attempt to raise money. They are primarily oriented toward directing thousands of emails and calls to targeted legislators. Using just those alerts, directing literally thousands of emails to the Senate, GRNC was able to get Sen. Pete Brunstetter to ditch leadership’s plan to replace the unconstitutional SOE ban with yet another unconstitutional SOE ban. (Here, by the way, thanks are due to someone outside the organization for an early heads up on Brunstetter’s committee action on HB 489.) And by the way, I field heartfelt “thankyou’s” every day from GRNC members for what you mischaracterize as “cry wolf” alerts.

“Also Paul, i bet you are quite thankful NC does not require non-profits or political action type organizations (you control three at the moment) to provide public disclosure of how their donations are distributed. I know Paul, putting all your funding into the campaign chests of the political leaders exhausts your funding. Interesting fact Paul, did you know in NC those political leaders have to publically tell the state where their money comes from and it is an interesting adventure to delve into those documents and see how much money is actually provided by any of your POCs!!”

Boy, now you sound just like Barack Obama. Been taking talking points from the lefties? First, your ignorance is showing. You can find disclosures for the GRNC Political Victory Fund at the NC State Board of Elections website. You can lso see where politicians get their money. It is a violation of election law for candidates to take money from ANY corporation, including non-profits. As for GRNC-PVF, what you will find is that we DON’T GIVE MONEY TO POLITICIANS, having long ago learned that throwing money at pols is generally a bad investment.

What we do are “independent expenditures,” including mailings for or against candidates (we now reach roughly 2500 gun voters in a typical NC House district, and 5000+ in a typical NC Senate district, and as many as 25,000 in a typical congressional district), robocalls, and radio spots. As such, we are prohibited by law from coordinating with candidates.

And yes, I am quite aware that we operate 3 separate political entities. They are Grass Roots North Carolina (our 501c4), the GRNC Political Victory Fund (our federal PAC) and Rights Watch International (our 501c3) – exactly as the NRA and GOA do. It is, in fact the standard model for political non-profits.

On your accusation about giving money to politicians, I would suggest you be very careful with what you say. As I just noted, GRNC does not give money to politicians. If you have any evidence that “putting all [our] funding into the campaign chests of the political leaders exhausts [our] funding” you had better present it, because what you just did is called “libel” and is legally actionable. I just did a screen shot and will be consulting our legal director.

“Paul regarding what you sell and what you are actually after: discuss the Dan Besse’s article where you posted a reporter’s nearly complete home address w/a link to photos of his wife and small children? And your response was you had to set an example to the media to let them know...they can no longer attack gun owners with impunity (http://www.grnc.org/pauls-blog/327-g...found-its-mark & http://bluenc.com/despicable-behavior-gun-fanatic ). Good heavens Paul this humble gun owner is embarrassed for you as it is my personal opinion that is abuse of your position and tremendous power as the chief officer of GRNC. So i must ask, if I or others challenge your perspective of your world as you believe it to be, will publish their identities and location also? To disregard the safety of the wife and children noncombatants is horrific.”

Really? So I guess the dozens of GRNC members who have thanked us for discouraging the media from “outing” concealed handgun permit-holders were a fluke? We released partial information on Binker just as he and WRAL released partial information on CHP-holders. And judging by the media squealing, our shot was right on the mark. And by the way, you’re getting your info from bluenc.com? Consorting with the left wing radicals are we? You should keep better company.

Since arguing with you is undoubtedly like marching in quicksand, I’ll leave it there. But I would advise you against making accusations which state, as fact, falsehoods about GRNC or about me, lest you end up on the receiving end of litigation.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

"Which NCRPA sycophant are you?"

Just what do you think you are accomplishing? Personal insults are against the rules here, have you read them? This is why nothing you say can be taken seriously, or with expectation of honesty. I certainly hope the moderators take action to your insults to Open Carry members.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

Walking wolf, et al., don't you find it interesting the president of GRNC has such distain for ppl of all facets of NC society that he resorts to name calling and threats of litigation..quite disappointing actually.

Really Paul, you admit in front of this forum's membership you intimidated a reporter using your GRNC organization to almost release of the reporter's complete address and post links of their family and children to God and Country internet and then regale in congratulatory excitement for the stunning enterprise! Yet with me, you publically menace me in front of the forum membership through litigation bullying …Nice touch!! but you asked for evidence...here you go mate:

But let’s talk syntax or semantics first shall we…

You stated several times your organization quote GRNC does not give money to politicians unquote syntax or semantics not withstanding I presume it is your perception your organization does not directly give money to politicians but how about indirectly contribute to their campaigns? For instance…

Your last post just stated your ‘volunteers manned the phones yet why do your FEC Form 3X schedule B itemized disbursements forms show YOUR PAC has spend thousands of dollars for Robo Calls Supporting: Tarte, Meadows, keadle, pittenger? (FEC 10/08/2012 http://images.nictusa.com/pdf/363/12954296363/12954296363.pdf

And I know your volunteers were busy doing mailings yet your FEC Form 3X’s show again thousands of dollars spent in mailings to an outside service for the above listed candidates, interestingly even a check paid to you Paul (6/30/12 FEC http://images.nictusa.com/pdf/078/12971390078/12971390078.pdf)

Paul, now the directly/indirectly semantic controversy get confusing for me with the following information:
A coincidence I am sure but something I found on direct from campaignmoney.com about GRASS ROOTS NORTH CAROLINA/FORUM FOR FIREARMS EDUC POL VICTORY FUND
Political Candidates Receiving Contributions/Support in the '10 Election Cycle from GRASS ROOTS NORTH CAROLINA/FORUM FOR FIREARMS EDUC POL VICTORY FUND
Candidate Name Office Party State District Primary/ General $ Dollar Amount Date
D'ANNUNZIO, TIMOTHY BRUCE House of Reps Republican NC 08 R $236 06/30/2010
D'ANNUNZIO, TIMOTHY BRUCE House of Reps Republican NC 08 R $1,175 06/02/2010

Wow… semantics notwithstanding that sure does seem on the surface to show a direct contribution to Mister D’Annunziol…

Paul was there another semantic slip of the tongue when followthemoney.com shows YOUR PAC donated to Mr. Hilton’s campaign to the tune of $1.5K http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/contributor.phtml?d=1007140879

Oh wait, there is more where your PAC contributed directly to the Moor NC Senate campaign $200; Citizens for David Miner $500; Webster for NC senate $100; and finally Pryor Gibson Good Government Comm. $100. taken from page 3 of your political committee disclosure report dated 12/31/99 http://www.app.sboe.state.nc.us/cf_pdf/1999/STAC3548NC001200020000128YESA00.pdf

You know Paul, internet public records are so comprehensive these days as the NC Bd of Elections as well as follow the money files are interesting reading of your registered committee independent expenditures reports show huge indirect contributions for a myriad of candidates to include radio spots.

So yes there is syntax and semantics...
Paul, please remember to a screen shot of this posting to show your ‘legal director’ that you do not contribute to political candidates.

I will continue to research internet sites to include the Fed Bd of Elections to see if any of the candidates have your entities listed as contributor.

Wabbit

PS Paul did i miss your apology to this membership For the other condescending BS you spouted her about your attitude quote 'I know your type too well...’ and 'To anyone reading this thread who has an open mind..' so Paul if we are not a member of your elite group passing laws what are we? oh wait here is what paul said about that and Paul, I can’t believe you truly feel this way? Quote “When I say I can sell the state on concealed handgun permit-holders who are certified as sane, sober and law-abiding...’ unquote...and the OC membership as well as all the NC citizens who open carry it appears you do not consider us certified as sane, sober and law-abiding? I am aghast you did such a disservice to those who open carry as it appears we are mindless creatures w/a gun!

pps: i guess i should wait for that apology like palmer did...eh? you never mentioned how that lawsuit came out for you paul?

Last edited:

FPV02

"Which NCRPA sycophant are you?"

Just what do you think you are accomplishing? Personal insults are against the rules here, have you read them? This is why nothing you say can be taken seriously, or with expectation of honesty. I certainly hope the moderators take action to your insults to Open Carry members.

Got it. Ignore the substance of the argument and keep repeating how insulted you are. Are your feelings hurt too?

ncwabbit

WOW...Paul are you feeling alright? do you need to lay down? do your psychotropics need adjusting?

i would say lowering oneself to shameless name calling and attempting to exhibit of one-up-manship as well as threatening litigation on a public forum would be totally out of character for a president of such an august organization.

wabbit

ps: i know, you keep posting to get your numbers up a bit eh mate?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Got it. Ignore the substance of the argument and keep repeating how insulted you are. Are your feelings hurt too?

Do you not care about rules and acting as a civilized person. The fact that you contradict yourself is nothing compared to the insults you sling while trying to pass yourself off as OUR diplomat. Bugger off, you are offensive, and hopefully everyone here sees how childish and foolish you have shown yourself. Not to mention, by your posting clearly YOU are the one I would not trust with a firearm anywhere.

Get a grip on yourself if you want to represent anybody that is sane. You clearly are in question!

Doble Troble

Geeze!

In an campaign season that resulted in BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA being re-elected President after clearly supporting re-implementation of the Clinton gun ban AND at the same time resulted in election of CLEARLY PRO-2A candidates and conservative control of NC at the state level, you alleged NC gun-owners are belly-aching about what GRNC is doing for you?

Did you notice the offer to show you how things work in the NC General Assembly? Until you take GRNC up on that offer and report back yea or nay you have not done due diligence required to comment further.

If you still insist on further comment, perhaps you should consider the likelihood that there is a place for you somewhere in the pro-2A movement that is currently effective in NY or NJ?

ncwabbit

sorry Doble Troble, that meeting on the legislative steps occurred in civics class in highschool... and why the negativity Double and the hackles being raised when someone objectively raises questions about an organization's practices?

the fact that you and the entire OC membership of this forum as well as within the entire state has been insulted and publically told quote: GRNC is promoting the image of North Carolina concealed handgun permit-holders -- certified sane, sober and law abiding... unquote.

The fact that you and the entire OC forum membership had to endure the President of GRNC's name calling and threats to a forum member to anyone who chose to challenge HIS and HIS and HIS and only HIS perception of what is best for the gun statuates should be for NC citizens is unacceptable in concept and practice!

so Double as you continue to support and continually and negatively respond against those that bring up critical points of contention should remember this is the same man who put a reporter and his family in harms way and apparently revels in his reckless inspiration to his membership.

wabbit

PS: Paul still awaiting an apology from your to the OC forum's membership for your slight!!

pss: Yes i voted for the American Candidate, as they both hold american citizenship it was a tough choice.

Last edited:

trooper46

The responses to this thread exemplify why restaurant carry or movie theaters.........probably the main places one might actually need to carry a gun....hasn't been passed yet.

Carriers here appear to be divided, bickering over pride....and docile at best when it comes to broken promises from local...supposedly.. Republican politicians.

Oh goodie!!! You got machine guns legalized in NC!!! Bravo Bravo!!! because that's really going to keep us from being mugged outside a restaurant in NC.

CCrs..OCrs. We are people that advocate carrying firearms to protect ourselves. We should be united in demanding our politicians recognize our human right to defend ourselves in public places...such as theaters and restaurants.

What a joke.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The responses to this thread exemplify why restaurant carry or movie theaters.........probably the main places one might actually need to carry a gun....hasn't been passed yet.

Carriers here appear to be divided, bickering over pride....and docile at best when it comes to broken promises from local...supposedly.. Republican politicians.

Oh goodie!!! You got machine guns legalized in NC!!! Bravo Bravo!!! because that's really going to keep us from being mugged outside a restaurant in NC.

CCrs..OCrs. We are people that advocate carrying firearms to protect ourselves. We should be united in demanding our politicians recognize our human right to defend ourselves in public places...such as theaters and restaurants.

What a joke.

Ummm~~GRNC is not advocating anything for Open Carry. They are advocating for concealed carry only with a privilege card, that is not a right, that is a privilege. Open Carry is already constitutional in NC, we do not need some hater screwing it up. I will not support anything less than constitutional rights. Either the law supports and confirms that it is a right or nothing, got it?

ncwabbit

Trooper, you opened this thread about NC couldn't or shouldn't be considered a GOLD state because of the issues you mentioned as well as others not overtly stated.

The NC forum members presented their view(s) and several of them pointed to their preception of a way to overcome those issues is through GRNC activities!

however, without any instigation from other forum members, myself included, GRNC posted their unequivocal position as working w/the NC General Assembly ONLY focusing on a small firearm carrying population of NC who Conceal Carry. This is because as the president states: this group is specifically quote certified as sane, sober and law-abiding unquote. GRNC's misguided agenda is the same group that brought you class 3 firearms to the forefront instead of the pressing issues of restrurant carry.

I am truly sorry you feel this is infighting detracting from the issues faced by NC citizens who either open or conceal, but i find the organizational statements and other comments made by the GRNC's president quite enlighting as well as quite distrubing as i was under the impression this group was working for all of NC citizens who wish to carry.

I ABSOLUTELY agree Trooper, remedy should be a OC/CC common push through the General Assembly and i truly felt organizationally, GRNC was that commonality to represent this constituency. I am apparently incorrect as GRNC has shown through this forum to be yet another self agenda based lobbist and the agenda is strictly dictated by its self serving president. Darn...organizationally it is worse than the NRA...

as for carry in movies, malls, etc., remember trooper as private property they are well within their rights to put up GFZ around their property. Only when you get the Corp boards based in NY, IL, CA, etc educated to shed their 'oh my goodness a gun--it must be dangerous--so i'll ban it from my property' will any real progress be made.

BTW...thanks for bringing up the subject...PM and lets you, walkingwolf, and I discuss this over coffee/chai in the near future.

wabbit

ps: go well

Last edited:

moonie

Congratulations, you have now turned me against your organization, I was in favor and quite happy to support it.

I do however thank you for making your agenda well known and to be in conflict with what lots of us feel it should be. I do have a rights permission card (CHP) but I open carry 90% of the time as it is my right to do.

FPV02

"Conspiring to elect pro-gun candidates"? I plead guilty

So let me see, from what you’ve said below, the charge against me seems to be “conspiring to elect pro-gun candidates.” To that, I plead guilty, albeit using far different techniques than you erroneously (and disingenuously) claim. Would you rather we NOT promote pro-gun candidates?

Let me be very clear on this: GRNC is prohibited from giving money to candidates by law, and GRNC-PVF – although it would be within its rights to do so, and fully within the common practices of the NRA and other political organizations – chooses not to do so. What you cite are not candidate contributions, but (as I said previously) independent expenditures which are not, and cannot, be coordinated with campaigns. It is the standard model for organizations such as ours, except perhaps that we do it far better than most.

“You stated several times your organization quote GRNC does not give money to politicians unquote syntax or semantics not withstanding I presume it is your perception your organization does not directly give money to politicians but how about indirectly contribute to their campaigns? For instance…”

Would you rather NRA-PVF not give ratings to candidates? Would you rather GOA-PVF not do the same? Beyond the fact that independent expenditures are not “indirect contributions” (whatever those are), they are made by GRNC-PVF, which raises funds separately from GRNC, telling people who donate EXACTLY how their donations will be applied. Are you really this dishonest, or just completely ignorant of the political process?

“Your last post just stated your ‘volunteers manned the phones yet why do your FEC Form 3X schedule B itemized disbursements forms show YOUR PAC has spend thousands of dollars for Robo Calls Supporting: Tarte, Meadows, keadle, pittenger? (FEC 10/08/2012 http://images.nictusa.com/pdf/363/12...2954296363.pdf”

Another lie. (I like it when you talk: You continue to dig yourself deeper.) What I said in the post (which was not the last) was: “Did they drop thousands of phone calls and emails to the pols who eventually voted for it?”

What that refers to, of course, is not election action but legislative action in which GRNC volunteers built a an alert list of roughly 60,000 gun voters, who when asked to, dropped thousands of emails and phone calls into responsible legislators in order to do really bad things like, say, repeal the State of Emergency gun ban. Oooooh. Pretty awful, eh?

And by the way, you bet GRNC-PVF did robocalls for Tarte, Meadows, Keadle and Pittenger. That was just in the primaries and runoffs. In the General, we did them for Meadows, Hudson, Holding and Wade. We also did postcard mailings into a bunch of districts. And you know what? In each of those districts, we reach roughly twice as many gun voters as the NRA.

“And I know your volunteers were busy doing mailings yet your FEC Form 3X’s show again thousands of dollars spent in mailings to an outside service for the above listed candidates, interestingly even a check paid to you Paul (6/30/12 FEC http://images.nictusa.com/pdf/078/12...2971390078.pdf)”

Gee, let me think about it: I need to reach 25,000 gun voters in US House 11, in order to tell them to vote for truly pro-gun candidate Mark Meadows instead of the Shuler protégé the NRA falsely rated “A”. How should I do it? Gather 10 of my best friends to start dialing? Sure. Isn’t that how all the successful candidates do it? No, you hire a company (a conservative company who only works with our type of people) to do it at dirt cheap rates. GRNCPVF doesn’t hide the robocalls we do, we proudly display them on the website. Once again, this is standard political practice. Either you are profoundly ignorant, or profoundly dishonest. Which is it?

And by the way the check to me you so ominously mention was for a reimbursement for expenses incurred while doing a postcard mailing into one of our targeted districts. You fail to mention that similar checks reimburse about two dozen volunteers in every election.

“Paul, now the directly/indirectly semantic controversy get confusing for me with the following information:
A coincidence I am sure but something I found on direct from campaignmoney.com about GRASS ROOTS NORTH CAROLINA/FORUM FOR FIREARMS EDUC POL VICTORY FUND
Political Candidates Receiving Contributions/Support in the '10 Election Cycle from GRASS ROOTS NORTH CAROLINA/FORUM FOR FIREARMS EDUC POL VICTORY FUND
Candidate Name Office Party State District Primary/ General $ Dollar Amount Date
D'ANNUNZIO, TIMOTHY BRUCE House of Reps Republican NC 08 R $236 06/30/2010
D'ANNUNZIO, TIMOTHY BRUCE House of Reps Republican NC 08 R $1,175 06/02/2010

Wow… semantics notwithstanding that sure does seem on the surface to show a direct contribution to Mister D’Annunziol…”

More lies. GRNC-PVF did lots of independent expenditures for D’Annunzio, but he never got a dime – although once again, had the PVF done so, it would have been both legal and within the guidelines of how contributors their money would be used.

“Paul was there another semantic slip of the tongue when followthemoney.com shows YOUR PAC donated to Mr. Hilton’s campaign to the tune of $1.5K http://www.followthemoney.org/databa...l?d=1007140879”

Well, now that one is kind of interesting: It’s links keep saying “see the record,” but they never do show a real, original record. You know why? Because GRNC-PVF never gave money to Mark Hilton. What is particularly insidious about this one is that it couldn’t even be the incorrect depiction of an independent expenditure, because Hilton was secure in his district and we never had to mail for him.

Beyond the falseness of the record however, (and this is something you could easily verify from Hilton’s campaign reports, if you weren’t so interested in spinning lies), consider what you are accusing us of: HELPING THE MOST PRO-GUN LEGISLATOR IN THE NORTH CAROLINA GENERAL ASSEMBLY.

This is the guy who sponsored dozens of pro-gun bills; who first sponsored and then ensured passage of concealed handgun reciprocity, even when the Dems would only move one of their own people’s bills; who had not only a 100% pro-gun voting record, but also stuck his neck out with leadership to move our bills and advance the interests of NC gun owners. He is, in fact, the legislator that someone here lamented was not running again.

Let me be very clear: Mark Hilton is someone we should respect and honor. If you have a problem with him, gun owners should have a problem with you.

“Oh wait, there is more where your PAC contributed directly to the Moor NC Senate campaign $200; Citizens for David Miner $500; Webster for NC senate $100; and finally Pryor Gibson Good Government Comm. $100. taken from page 3 of your political committee disclosure report dated 12/31/99 http://www.app.sboe.state.nc.us/cf_p...0128YESA00.pdf”

There you go. Spent hours on this, didn’t you? You must really want to discredit the most pro-gun org in the state. You found the once and (I believe) only time GRNC-PVF directly gave trivial amounts of money to candidates: IN **1999.**

Listen to what I said earlier: “As for GRNC-PVF, what you will find is that we DON’T GIVE MONEY TO POLITICIANS, having long ago learned that throwing money at pols is generally a bad investment.”

That was exactly the lesson: We gave money to David Miner, only to have the committee he chaired facilitate the bill which now requires “domestic violence offenders” to turn in guns to the police. I’m happy to say that in the next election, we primaried him, causing him to describe GRNC as “a bunch of thugs,” after which he lost the General Election.

“You know Paul, internet public records are so comprehensive these days as the NC Bd of Elections as well as follow the money files are interesting reading of your registered committee independent expenditures reports show huge indirect contributions for a myriad of candidates to include radio spots.”

And damned good spots too, like the one that took out House Majority Leader Hugh Holliman. It and the others are on the PVF section of our website. You should check them out. They are hilarious. Again, you say that as though it is wrong. Would you rather GRNC-PVF NOT help elect pro-gun candidates? Who do you figure will help you then? In fact, one of the biggest failings of grass roots organizations is failing to do so. You should take me legislative tactics seminar: Politicians’ goal is to convince you that the legislative season and the election season are not related. Your goal is to ensure they are inexorably intertwined.” Oh, and those “huge amounts” are generally on the order of $2,000 for a radio campaign. Radio is a cheap and effective weapon. In fact, it’s what we used to get McHenry elected to Congress by a grand 85 votes.

“So yes there is syntax and semantics...
Paul, please remember to a screen shot of this posting to show your ‘legal director’ that you do not contribute to political candidates. “

Again, we do not. You have managed to spin lies to create the impression that GRNC-PVF does so, but that is a false assertion.

“I will continue to research internet sites to include the Fed Bd of Elections to see if any of the candidates have your entities listed as contributor.”

Please. Feel free. We have had a political action committee for something like 16 years. We have endeavored to maintain a squeaky clean record precisely to avoid these types of attacks (although we really didn’t expect it to be from the ostensibly “pro-gun” side).

But it’s time that list members take a look at the totality of these communications: On one side, we have an anonymous individual attacking GRNC and its political action committee for supporting pro-gun candidates (Shudder! Heaven forbid!) On one hand, the person seems to depict ignorance of campaign laws and standard practices of political non-profits. But on the other hand, he or she knows all about federal disclosure forms and is capable of tracking political committee reports back to 1999. Why would anyone want to spend so much time in a forum argument…unless, of course, they have an agenda.

On the other side, we have someone who has clearly identified themselves as the leader of the state’s primary gun rights organization (and yes, in this state, we have supplanted the NRA), who has pretty much laid it all out in the open – who we supported, what we did, and why.

What I think list members should ask themselves, is “Who is ‘Wabbit.’” Unwilling to identify themselves (always a bad sign), they seem to simultaneously have (willful?) ignorance of election laws, yet the ability to research obscure (and frequently wrong) secondary sources on campaign financing. They have spent the time to research GRNC press releases, and have knowledge dating back at least 10 years – things not on our new website.

Have any of you met this person? If so, please let me know. I would love to be proven wrong, but I suspect this person is either Edie Fleeman, NRA board member, Anthony Roulette, NRA representative for North Carolina, or maybe even Chuck Cunningham himself, the freshly demoted NRA Director of State and Local Affairs.

Should that be the case, you have a serious agent provocateur aboard. Don’t you love how these forums enable people to attack others, to rip them down while contributing nothing themselves, while refusing to identify themselves?

Armatissimi e liberissimi,
F. Paul Valone
President, Grass Roots North Carolina
www.GRNC.org

FPV02

Trooper, you opened this thread about NC couldn't or shouldn't be considered a GOLD state because of the issues you mentioned as well as others not overtly stated.

The NC forum members presented their view(s) and several of them pointed to their preception of a way to overcome those issues is through GRNC activities!

however, without any instigation from other forum members, myself included, GRNC posted their unequivocal position as working w/the NC General Assembly ONLY focusing on a small firearm carrying population of NC who Conceal Carry. This is because as the president states: this group is specifically quote certified as sane, sober and law-abiding unquote. GRNC's misguided agenda is the same group that brought you class 3 firearms to the forefront instead of the pressing issues of restrurant carry.

I am truly sorry you feel this is infighting detracting from the issues faced by NC citizens who either open or conceal, but i find the organizational statements and other comments made by the GRNC's president quite enlighting as well as quite distrubing as i was under the impression this group was working for all of NC citizens who wish to carry.

I ABSOLUTELY agree Trooper, remedy should be a OC/CC common push through the General Assembly and i truly felt organizationally, GRNC was that commonality to represent this constituency. I am apparently incorrect as GRNC has shown through this forum to be yet another self agenda based lobbist and the agenda is strictly dictated by its self serving president. Darn...organizationally it is worse than the NRA...

as for carry in movies, malls, etc., remember trooper as private property they are well within their rights to put up GFZ around their property. Only when you get the Corp boards based in NY, IL, CA, etc educated to shed their 'oh my goodness a gun--it must be dangerous--so i'll ban it from my property' will any real progress be made.

BTW...thanks for bringing up the subject...PM and lets you, walkingwolf, and I discuss this over coffee/chai in the near future.

wabbit

ps: go well

Suffice to say that when the General Assembly next convenes, those who opine that GRNC advocates only a "privilege card" will have to find a new tune to sing.

WalkingWolf

Suffice to say that when the General Assembly next convenes, those who opine that GRNC advocates only a "privilege card" will have to find a new tune to sing.

Bugger off with your threats! They are getting old, and they do not support the spirit of this site towards open carry. The good part is you have shown your colors to every single member on this site cutting down your donations. You still have your CC instructors though.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
<snip>
But it’s time that list members take a look at the totality of these communications: On one side, we have an anonymous individual attacking GRNC and its political action committee for supporting pro-gun candidates (Shudder! Heaven forbid!) On one hand, the person seems to depict ignorance of campaign laws and standard practices of political non-profits. But on the other hand, he or she knows all about federal disclosure forms and is capable of tracking political committee reports back to 1999. Why would anyone want to spend so much time in a forum argument…unless, of course, they have an agenda.

On the other side, we have someone who has clearly identified themselves as the leader of the state’s primary gun rights organization (and yes, in this state, we have supplanted the NRA), who has pretty much laid it all out in the open – who we supported, what we did, and why.

What I think list members should ask themselves, is “Who is ‘Wabbit.’” Unwilling to identify themselves (always a bad sign), they seem to simultaneously have (willful?) ignorance of election laws, yet the ability to research obscure (and frequently wrong) secondary sources on campaign financing. They have spent the time to research GRNC press releases, and have knowledge dating back at least 10 years – things not on our new website.

Have any of you met this person? If so, please let me know. I would love to be proven wrong, but I suspect this person is either Edie Fleeman, NRA board member, Anthony Roulette, NRA representative for North Carolina, or maybe even Chuck Cunningham himself, the freshly demoted NRA Director of State and Local Affairs.

Should that be the case, you have a serious agent provocateur aboard. Don’t you love how these forums enable people to attack others, to rip them down while contributing nothing themselves, while refusing to identify themselves?

Armatissimi e liberissimi,
F. Paul Valone
President, Grass Roots North Carolina
www.GRNC.org

Well, as a matter of fact, yes, I know ncwabbit, and have known him for decades. He is none of the people you malign by attempting to disclose his identity.

While ncwabbit can be a royal PITA, he also can ask questions that people who resort to arguments from authority don't want to answer.

Paul, you and GRNC may be doing great things; it's hard to say. I've been following your e-mail alerts for a few years, as I travel to and carry in (openly) NC regularly. But the condescension you show in your posts here, and in e-mails I've sent and to which you've responded, do no favors for your organization.

When someone questions your organization, its methods and expenditures, the right thing to do is to quietly, authoritatively, and unequivocally answer the question. Nothing is better at stopping a provocateur. If you can't do so, you call yourself into question.

And ncwabbit is a provocateur -- one who chooses a certain method to get questions answered. Has he done that for GRNC? I honestly don't know, but I wonder. YOU have a role to fulfill - a public role that you chose and which you claim to do well. I have no evidence to refute that claim, except what I see here.

Last edited:

FPV02

Well, as a matter of fact, yes, I know ncwabbit, and have known him for decades. He is none of the people you malign by attempting to disclose his identity.

While ncwabbit can be a royal PITA, he also can ask questions that people who resort to arguments from authority don't want to answer.

Paul, you and GRNC may be doing great things; it's hard to say. I've been following your e-mail alerts for a few years, as I travel to and carry in (openly) NC regularly. But the condescension you show in your posts here, and in e-mails I've sent and to which you've responded, do no favors for your organization.

When someone questions your organization, its methods and expenditures, the right thing to do is to quietly, authoritatively, and unequivocally answer the question. Nothing is better at stopping a provocateur. If you can't do so, you call yourself into question.

And ncwabbit is a provocateur -- one who chooses a certain method to get questions answered. Has he done that for GRNC? I honestly don't know, but I wonder. YOU have a role to fulfill - a public role that you chose and which you claim to do well. I have no evidence to refute that claim, except what I see here.

Thanks, Tess, for an objective response. I find it amazing that when I say we have something up our sleeve that OC advocates will like -- now that we have produced a legislative environment where I believe it is achievable -- it is called a "threat." Yep, it's a threat all right. A threat to fight for the rights of gun owners.

With respect to your suggestion, I have done nothing BUT "answer the question," ad infinitim. I have said that neither GRNC nor GRNC-PVF gives money to candidates and, using "cooked" evidence, been called a liar. I have explained why we adopted the legislative agenda we have, accomplishing what could be accomplished without needlessly sacrificing friendly legislators, for which I was called indifferent (or worse) to the cause of open carry. I have been heckled, yet when I return in kind with factual arguments, they are branded "condescending." And in the end, I am the single and only person in this disussion who has the guts and honesty to identify myself.

You seem very nice, but I do have a question: You know wabbit. Fantastic. Known him for decades. OK. Maybe he's a great guy (or she's a great gal). But your address shows Fairfax, VA. Do you know him/her there? Because, as I'm sure we can all agree, Fairfax is lovely country, but it isn't in North Carolina. In fact, Fairfax is the home of the headquarters of the NRA.

So here is my question: Do either you or wabbit work, on either paid or volunteer basis, for the NRA? If not, who are you, and who is wabbit?

As the saying goes, "Just askin'..."

Paul