• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - Announcement - Weston Gun Ban – Time to Start Writing

Rich B

From: http://ctcarry.com/Announcement/Details/51627c0d-a9bd-4a74-aa1c-d128803314bc

Weston’s gun ban needs to be fought by the power of the pen

Connecticut, January 10, 2013:

After attending the police commissioner’s meeting, it is clear what we need to do going forward.

• Write the selectmen. First Selectwoman Gayle Weinstein and Dennis H. Tracey III are the ones pushing this ordinance. Dennis Tracey wrote the bill. Let them know that their bill will fail to protect anyone and that they are in way over their heads and need to back out now.

• Write the police commissioners. Thank them for their sober thinking on not rushing forward to discuss such a ridiculous bill. Express your concern for their police officers and public safety should this bill pass. Include plenty of statistics and thoughts about the costs and ramifications that will result from going forward with this bill.

• Write the Police Chief. Police Chief John Troxell showed calm and rational thinking during the commission meeting and should be commended for not jumping on the gun ban bandwagon. Insist that he do his best to squash this bill, and tell him he has our support going forward to fight this bill or refuse to enforce it should it pass.

Please remember to be calm, rational, polite and professional. But also remember how serious this issue is. The police commissioners and police department should be considered friendly right now. They did stand up to Gayle Weinstein and put this ordinance off, and the feeling in the room was that there was very little support for such a bill in Weston.

Contact information here: http://ctcarry.com/WestonBan/Contacts

If you have additional contact information that could be useful, please send it to me so I can share it with everyone.

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: rich@ctcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/91b26830-eff8-4b6c-8a4e-3619f890c7f9

Link to talking points (previous link no good?)

This is what the opposition will say regarding talking points:

1) mag ban ... it will limit the mag to a maximum capacity of 10 rds ... so your 10rd larger caliber mag that can actually hold 20-30 .223 rds would be classified as a 20-30 rd mag, not 10. If a mag can hold 10+ rounds of ammo that the MAG is designed for or is able to accommodate, then its banned.

2) A NY court has already ruled that the ARs are not protected under the 2nd amendment (the dissenting opinion says otherwise)

3) storage requirement can be mandatory as our ordinance will allow for immediate use of a gun in the possession of the gun owner

4) the town can regulate firearms, it is us who knows best

I don't see reasonable arguments winning the day, although I agree with most of the talking points myself and have already discussed many of the points with my local legislators.

I do see the argument that people from the region will band together to not allow the 2nd amendment to be tossed in the garbage by one town. And that the people of the region, not just Weston residents, will defend our natural rights. And that people in the region believe that the ordinances proposed are basically implies a gun grab is the goal of the Weston politicians. And that the ordinance proposed is an attack on the American people.

A harder line needs to be taken IMO. The talking points need to be revised to address what officials will counter, some of which are stated above. Some of the talking points are easily shot down.

An I would suggest that when people attend meetings that they bring their gun cases.

Last edited:

Thomasdonofriok9

Here's one little argument...

I guess Selectman Weinstein feels she is special and doesn't have to follow the constitution or case law

In McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025 (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.

hermannr

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The US Supreme Court in "Heller" states otherwise/. It specifically states that weapons in "common usage" are protected. At about 15M or 16 million AR's in the US, I would suggest they are in "common usage"

I would agree BUT there is a NY federal district court ruling that says otherwise ... so this is what they will hang their hat upon ... and in Heller, they did not say that ARs are covered SPECIFICALLY..

So, this is not a winning argument from the viewpoint of CT politicians...