• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Box of Ammo

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ABSOLUTELY.

Decide for yourself what you do in relation to the PAC.

VCDL is not a Board of Directors who generates policy, or a PAC that sets the legislative agenda. Your paid membership, though, does give that BOD and PAC chairman and others who register as lobbyists added clout. "I represent 40,000 gun owners in Virginia" carries much more weight in a politician's mind than "I represent 2000 gun owners".

More importantly, VCDL is each and every citizen writing, calling, visiting, and educating legislators - you know, those guys who propose, discuss, and vote on laws - and letting them know what is important to you. We can each do that without VCDL, but not as effectively. Those lobbyists DO ensure we - the ones with the power - know what legislation is coming, when it's coming, and how to write a cogent note in support or opposition. (NB: I always customize/rewrite the pre-written e-mail because I know legislators read the first sentence and if it's identical to hundreds of others, simply put it ina pro/con file, but the major points are there. Revising is always easier than writing.) Those lobbyists track this stuff for us day after day.

The organization is very far from perfect, but there isn't much better anywhere in the world, IMNSHO.

Well said Tess - appreciate your thinking.
icon14.png

Thundar

Should I join VCDL at my next opportunity or not?

Only you can decide what organizations you wish to support and be associated with.

Might I suggest that before deciding you obtain a broader view than what is presented on a couple of threads at OCDO.

There are many great people trying to preserve and enhance our rights (and Perks for Permittees - P4P) that are members of VCDL. If it ended there I would definitely be a member.

My concerns are with the less than acceptable treatment by VCDL leadership of the biggest gun rights policy issue facing Virginia, Constitutional Carry. VCDL PAC and the VCDL President evidently believe that the issue is of so little importance that they can prioritize Constitutional Carry as less important than many P4P issues in their legislative activism. It is of so little importance to them that they are comfortable endorsing and working hard to elect an anti Constitutional Carry candidate.

Do your research and ask many questions. If my posts are a particular concern you could email Philip and ask him why he sent out a hit piece against the most pro 2A candidate on election day. If you get the "ends justify the means" or "we want to win" answers, then you must decide if your character and core beliefs are coherent with this philosophy.

Again, it is up to you. I recommend you peel back the onion and decide whether you are comfortable with what is inside.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Table

Thanks for the info.

When I get back in the states (23 Nov), I'll join up, and one for my kid.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Go hunting for a few days and the same squabbling is still going on.

I have issues with bills and endorsements VCDL/PAC has supported in the past too.

That was then, this is now. Constitutional carry is one place where VCDL and I don't disagree, but the subject is deep and who they supported in the election is meaningless. It's over.

Bottom line, if there's a better lobby organization, go with it. I haven't seen one on the state level but I might have overlooked someone at those committee meetings.

Let's see, there was the NRA, asleep as usual, Mad Mike, PO'ing everyone including gun owners but he does have about 5 members I hear....then there is PVC, Grapeshot, Dennis and Bob at every Committee hearing and usually a pack of other members to back them up.

I'm just telling the facts and you can support who you want but the next 4 years are going to be a fight despite what the As&...er Donkey says. Support a loser and you lose. Unfortunately, the rest of us do also.

If we don't stop this damn bickering we're going to have to make some hard decisions and not all of you have a patch of woods to live out the rest of your days in.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One last word from me on the subject.
I see my timeout thread was closed.

Board rules aside....this is a private board, not a Democracy. I don't want to argu about that either.

John Pierce who is King of the Board and makes the rules as he sees fit, has said in the past....VCDL Bashing in any form will NOT BE TOLERATED!

Yes, I've done it and been called on the carpet over it.

Table

You could submit your application(s) now - it takes about 6 weeks to process and get you on board as we are in the middle of our renewal period.

Next week is soon enough, I've had my computer hijacked before while in Europe, so I'll wait. Thanks!

Thundar

Check the VCDL Legislative Tracking Tool. VCDL did not strongly support Constitutional Carry. The VCDL PAC did not endorse the candidate that answered yes to every question on their survey, they chose the candidate that refused to answer many of the questions and checked no to Constitutional Carry. Philip did send out an e-mail attacking the pro constitutional carry candidate on Election Day.

Tell me where I got the facts wrong.