• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the subject of a .50 caliber pistol...

The Truth

Does anyone here own one or carry one? If so, which model? More specifically, has anyone ever owned or shot a Guncrafter Industries Model 3 .50 cal.? Opinions of all types are welcome!

1245A Defender

Well,,,

No I dont have a guncrafter,,, basically a GI 45 modified to hold and fire the .50 GI,, not much difference from 45 ACP..

I do however have a Desert Eagle in .50 AE,, its a magnum!
I also have an 8 3/8 Smith and Wesson 500 magnum,, its Really a Magnum!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No I dont have a guncrafter,,, basically a GI 45 modified to hold and fire the .50 GI,, not much difference from 45 ACP..

I do however have a Desert Eagle in .50 AE,, its a magnum!
I also have an 8 3/8 Smith and Wesson 500 magnum,, its Really a Magnum!!!
I'll bet that .50 cal ammunition is harder to find and more expensive.

For those wanting a 1911 style gun with superior ballistics, look into 10mm. Several here own and carry them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'll bet that .50 cal ammunition is harder to find and more expensive.

For those wanting a 1911 style gun with superior ballistics, look into 10mm. Several here own and carry them.

Well, I'm pretty sure it ain't cheaper !

50 v 45 .... 45 just for practical reasons

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Isn't the 10mm the gun the FBI tried and dumped?

The FBI "eventually concluded that its recoil was excessive in terms of training for average agent and police officer competency of use and qualification,[SUP][10][/SUP] and that the pistols chambered for the caliber were too large for some small-handed individuals. These issues led to the creation and following replacement to a shorter version of the 10mm that exists today as the .40 Smith & Wesson."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

We have one member in the Charlottesville, Va area who owns two Coonan 10 mm 911s - he loves them.

STI offers several models also. The 5" Nitro 10 and the 6" Perfect 10.
http://www.stiguns.com/nitro-10/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anyone here own one or carry one? If so, which model? More specifically, has anyone ever owned or shot a Guncrafter Industries Model 3 .50 cal.? Opinions of all types are welcome!

Sooo were all off topic now...

I do want the 6" Perfect 10,, http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-perfect-10/ ,,, 2621$!!!!

We're still waiting for someone with an opinion on the .50 cal - I have never shot one, don't like the ballistics.

Meanwhile, we are discussing similar guns of "all types." :)

WalkingWolf

Personally I have no desire for a 50 caliber handgun. 45/70 is as large as I have in a rifle, as far as power the Mosin Nagant serves me just fine.

But keep in mind I only speak for myself, I will support anybodies choice in caliber, or type of gun.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

We're still waiting for someone with an opinion on the .50 cal - I have never shot one, don't like the ballistics.

Meanwhile, we are discussing similar guns of "all types." :)

Well,,, OK... I answered his topical questions,, except to say,, Yes I did Carry my Desert Eagle Openly to a
Get together,, but not the S&W 500..
The 10mm really is not a similar caliber, but it does have the punch!
The 50 GI is bigger than 45, but not much more powerful,
the 46 rowland is just another variation on the same theme,, think 45 gap..
The real 50 cals are real magnums with higher preasures,,, they are Different!!
The 10mm is a super cartridge, not a big 40,,
anymore than my 9x23 winchester is just a big 9 nato...
These are different animals!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've shot somebody else's S&W .500. It's loud. I'm recoil-tolerant so don't go by my saying it was no worse than X, and a lot softer than my .45acp Downsizer WSP http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2011/07/15/downsizer-wsp-worlds-smallest-pistol/ I had folks who flat out refused to take a second shot with that itty-bitty belly gun. Lots of folks. (Ask some of the Virginia folks - their hands probably still hurt.)

It's not your everyday carry gun, but I would not be upset carrying it in a quick-access rig on my pack in bear country.

stay safe.

tletourneau

I have a Desert Eagle .50AE that I shoot regularly. As mentioned earlier it's a beast compared to the .50GI but a bit tame compared the the .500 S&W. I don't use it for carry very often, it's just a bit on the heavy side. :)

Sent from a mobile device.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've shot somebody else's S&W .500. It's loud. I'm recoil-tolerant so don't go by my saying it was no worse than X, and a lot softer than my .45acp Downsizer WSP http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2011/07/15/downsizer-wsp-worlds-smallest-pistol/ I had folks who flat out refused to take a second shot with that itty-bitty belly gun. Lots of folks. (Ask some of the Virginia folks - their hands probably still hurt.)

It's not your everyday carry gun, but I would not be upset carrying it in a quick-access rig on my pack in bear country.

stay safe.
The thing is a true palm buster - takes a very special hand grip......which Skid conveniently forgets to tell you. Don't bother asking me how I know :(

The Truth

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I've ruled out a .50 GI for now as a possible choice for a larger caliber pistol. I think I've decided I would rather have a .500 S&W Mag if I'm going to go that big, but that big is really unnecessary for me at this time.

I'm really torn between .357 Mag, 10mm, or .41 Mag. Currently searching hard for suitable .41 Mags. 10mm seems like it's just better than the .40 in every way, ballistics wise.

Wish I had infinite $$$ for this custom 10mm P220 conversion:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/324107199

on this gun:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-stainless-reverse-two-tone.aspx

Might have to sell the .40 ;)

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I've got a Desert Eagle .50 also.

I rarely carry it other than to the range. It is a large gun, hard for me to take off the safety quickly due to my small hands, and does a number on my hands trying to shoot it.