• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Midway USA not OC friendly?

Vegassteve

From todays FB post.

MidwayUSA
51 mins ·
Ok, so this is my first post for ‪#‎ThrowbackThursday‬. During the gun shop days of 1977-84, we had lots of folks bringing guns in the front door - for sale, trade or minor gunsmithing. Standing behind the counter, we'd first move left or right (if necessary) so the gun wasn't pointed directly at us. At the same time we would make eye contact with the Customer and ask for the gun.
Then, with the gun pointed in a safe direction (#1 rule of firearms safety) and our fingers away from the trigger (#2 rule), we would check to make sure it was unloaded (#3 rule).
Despite the assurances of the Customer that it was unloaded, with some regularity we would find ammunition in the magazine or in the chamber, or both.
We had this sign made up and posted at the front door, but it didn't help. It seems that people who don't pay attention as to whether their gun is loaded or not, probably don't read signs.
Today we don't have any walk-in business, except to pick up a previously placed order, so we no longer need the sign.
Interestingly, Missouri now issues Concealed Carry permits. We allow concealed carry in our facilities, but do ask that Customers and Employees keep their concealed carry guns concealed.
Anyway, we stopped using this sign over 30 years ago (December 1984), and I keep it in my office as a souvenir of days gone by but not forgotten.
So, who out there has interesting memories from 30 years ago and who's had to give serious thought to Firearms Safety?
Aim Straight,
Larry Potterfield

BigStack

Interestingly, Missouri now issues Concealed Carry permits. We allow concealed carry in our facilities, but do ask that Customers and Employees keep their concealed carry guns concealed.

I wouldn't read into that too much.
The jist/vibe I get is that they don't want someone coming in and pulling out their canceled weapon to show it to the employee or other patron.

Yes I have seen this before.... Guy looking at gun and another guy says oh I love that gun I use it as my concealed gun and they whip it out not thinking. No harm was meant but now you have a loaded weapon out of holster... being handled.... Which isn't good. (especially when you don't know the gun smarts of those involved... Like if they were looking for their first gun etc)

Brian D.

Vegassteve, work behind the counter at a gun shop (especially one with a range) and before long you'll pick up the gist of Mr. Potterfield was trying to get across. Better yet spend time at a gun show, handling practices seen there can be atrocious.

Vegassteve

Vegassteve, work behind the counter at a gun shop (especially one with a range) and before long you'll pick up the gist of Mr. Potterfield was trying to get across. Better yet spend time at a gun show, handling practices seen there can be atrocious.

I dont have to work behind a counter to understand what he said. He specified CC and keeping it hidden. I dont know about my home state of MO anymore but here in my adopted state of NV we have plenty of gun stores that have signs welcoming open carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I've never been to a Midway USA but I can say that I have never been to an establishment in MO that sells guns in a location where OC was legal in which anyone has said squat about my OC sidearm or given any indication they care except for one WalMart where some asst manager looking guy followed me around one evening. I haven't been anywhere that was previous no OC but now is ok OC with a CCW so maybe that could be a thing, but I doubt it.

logunowner

From todays FB post.

MidwayUSA
51 mins ·
Ok, so this is my first post for ‪#‎ThrowbackThursday‬. During the gun shop days of 1977-84, we had lots of folks bringing guns in the front door - for sale, trade or minor gunsmithing. Standing behind the counter, we'd first move left or right (if necessary) so the gun wasn't pointed directly at us. At the same time we would make eye contact with the Customer and ask for the gun.
Then, with the gun pointed in a safe direction (#1 rule of firearms safety) and our fingers away from the trigger (#2 rule), we would check to make sure it was unloaded (#3 rule).
Despite the assurances of the Customer that it was unloaded, with some regularity we would find ammunition in the magazine or in the chamber, or both.
We had this sign made up and posted at the front door, but it didn't help. It seems that people who don't pay attention as to whether their gun is loaded or not, probably don't read signs.
Today we don't have any walk-in business, except to pick up a previously placed order, so we no longer need the sign.
Anyway, we stopped using this sign over 30 years ago (December 1984), and I keep it in my office as a souvenir of days gone by but not forgotten.
So, who out there has interesting memories from 30 years ago and who's had to give serious thought to Firearms Safety?
Aim Straight,
Larry Potterfield

Interesting reading your post.
A year or two ago I contacted you about you NO Guns Allowed sign outside the door where we locals pickup our orders. You had a nice gentleman call me and he told me that the sign was necessary because of insurance reasons. I reasoned and tried to get him to take the sign down but to no avail. I felt at the time it was a sad state that a company that makes money from gun related items would have such a sign any where on their property.
I memory serves me correctly this is one of the forums I posted on to express my disappoint at the time.
I stopped by just to take a picture of the sign just a few months ago, it reads..."due to insurance and liability purposes, please keep your concealed carry firearm concealed and leave all other firearms in your vehicle" That is not a sign I would associate with a gun loving business. Not sure what sign you have in your office????