• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Georgia, during a sci-fi convention

dragoncon2012

First time posting here!

I'd like to get some opinions of the discussion here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink....=58381388805&comment_id=26086304&notif_t=like

Background: Dragoncon is a science fiction convention in Atlanta, in 5 hotels. They have stated that real weapons are not allowed, at all, with the exception of sworn law enforcement personell.

Some people on facebook seem to think that this doesn't mean anything, and that they are free to carry, unless they are specifically stopped and asked to leave.

Complicating factors: The hotels set up bars in the lobbies for this event. A badge or room key is required to get into the hotels. The badge explicitly includes language banning the possession of firearms, and you must sign something acknowledging this in order to receive yours.

So, is it legal? Is it not legal? Could someone be arrested without first being asked to leave?

Recently there have been questions specifically in regards to Georgia Weapons Carry License and convention policy. In addition to the badge and room key checks during certain hours of convention operation in the Marriott, Hilton, and the Hy
att we are vigilantly enforcing our weapons policy. All weapons including props, replicas, blades, and projectile weapons are open to inspection and peace bonding. Real firearms are not allowed.

As part of our partnership with host hotels, in addition to requests to honor hotel policies, DragonCon is stating that a no weapon policy be enforced. In the harsh reality of our times, DragonCon security, hotel security, and local law enforcement officials will treat anything that looks like a real weapon as a weapon. This includes those attendees who maintain a Georgia Weapons Carry License, States who recognize reciprocal licenses, and States who maintain their own license or permits.

As such, Dragon*con asks that you do not use open or concealed carry for real firearms. Those attendees to the convention who choose to ignore this request may and can be asked to leave the convention and will have their membership revoked.

Again, please use common sense and good judgment. Sworn law enforcement are excused from this policy. If you have questions, please send a message to this page.

rmodel65

Signs mean nothing...if asked to leave you have to o so else be arrested for trespassing...its 100% legal to carry into their venue.

dragoncon2012

Signs mean nothing...if asked to leave you have to o so else be arrested for trespassing...its 100% legal to carry into their venue.

By "sign", I mean that, as a condition of entry to the convention, you agree not to carry a firearm, concealed or openly.

That agreement seems to have more weight than just a sign.

Additionally, alcohol is served in the hotels, outside of the bar. This means that, under Georgia law, carrying may be illegal.

Last edited:

rmodel65

signs mean nothing.....you have to be verbally told to leave by management or the owner of the property and each person has to be told...

Fallschirjmäger

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.

It would only be illegal on the bar premises, not the hotel/convention center in general, IF the bar is licensed as a bar, and if one does not have the permission of the bar's owner (only mentioning that part for completeness!).

If the convention had as a condition of entry, a sign stating "All females entering must give their sexual favors to any geek dressed in a Star Trek uniform"... would that be enforceable should the fair Slave Leia not grant a sexual boon to said geek?

Last edited:

BRuley

I agree. I also think you are absolutely fine, unless you are asked to leave. At that point, you have to leave. The "bar" issue could probably be argued for / against as most serve food as well and as another posted stated, are not licensed as "bars". Personally, businesses who even post silly rules such as these will not get my patronage.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'll take another tack on this one. While yes, you could legally carry, it would show a distinct lack of respect for their property rights which are equally important as our gun rights. Why not show your displeasure with their policy by not giving them money?

BRuley

The thing that kills me is the letter from these guys........
"As part of our partnership with host hotels, in addition to requests to honor hotel policies, DragonCon is stating that a no weapon policy be enforced. In the harsh reality of our times, DragonCon security, hotel security, and local law enforcement officials will treat anything that looks like a real weapon as a weapon. This includes those attendees who maintain a Georgia Weapons Carry License, States who recognize reciprocal licenses, and States who maintain their own license or permits"............Does anybody else think it is a wise idea to trust your personal safety to some moron who most likely poses in front of a mirror every day while flashing his plastic badge and saying, "Halt, DragonCon Security". If a threat gets past these Sci-Fi Police, we do have extra security in place though.....The 74 year old unarmed hotel security guard (who doubles as a bellhop and / or shuttle driver when needed) will be right there to lay his life down in the line of duty. Oh, Local Law Enforcement ? I've worked in and around Atlanta, no thanks........I agree, Sci Fi Convention or not, these fools could suck my light saber........

rmodel65

I agree. I also think you are absolutely fine, unless you are asked to leave. At that point, you have to leave. The "bar" issue could probably be argued for / against as most serve food as well and as another posted stated, are not licensed as "bars". Personally, businesses who even post silly rules such as these will not get my patronage.

I use this website from the state of Georgia to check a business license of a place I might go to... https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AlcoholRetailer/

Double_J

Dragon-Con

I do not believe you will have any trouble at Dragon-Con. It is a MASSIVE convention and has been going on for a pretty good time, they have the kinks worked out for troublemakers.

I also see the fact that you sign a contract per se that you as a member of the convention will not carry a live/real weapon on the convention grounds. If and when you get caught do not come crying saying that it is not "fair." You have already stated you know the rules, and as such you should either go and abide by the rules, or not go to the event. I do feel your pain as I was a very regular attendee of various sci-fi conventions for many years. I also got angry about not being able to carry, but I got over it when I realized that there are a lot of people who do not understand how deadly firearms are, and would do something stupid if prompted.

To carry or not is up to you. I would not as it is not worth loosing my membership dues/admissions fee and possibly being barred for life from the event.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I travel a lot. I'm ALWAYS armed. I've never seen a hotel try to ban firearms from a room that I have rented, and I'm not even sure it would be legal. I carry my right to bear arms in my hotel room wherever I go, and I believe that a hotel room is exactly the same as your home for these purposes during the duration of the time that you are a paying guest.

So far as the convention itself goes, that's a call you have to make.

aadvark

DragonCon2012:

It is LEGAL under Georgia Law to Bring a Firearm to DragonCon Convention so as long as The Person Who does so is in Compliance with Georgia Code 16-11-126.

However, DragonCon can Ask You, or Anyone Else, to Leave. Failure to Leave, if and when Asked, is Criminal Trespassing, under Georgia Code 16-7-21, but it is NOT a Firearm-related Crime.

Private Property gets to Choose whether or not They Allow or Disallow Firearms on Their Property, and based upon Your Post, it Appears that DragonCon has, Disappointingly, Decided NOT to Allow Firearms at Their DragonCon Event.

aadvark

*** If ANY Portion of DragonCon takes Place on Public Property, then, Firearms ARE Allowed under Georgia Code 16-11-173, so as long as The Location is NOT an Unauthorized Location under Georgia Code 16-11-127. For Example, if DragonCon were to take Place in Cenntenial Olympic Park (which I do NOT know whether it does or does not becuase I do not go, but...), They would HAVE to Allow Firearms there...***