• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Legislation Concerning CCW

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Hey guys, I heard from a credible source that this year they will be introducing a bill that will effectively double the issuance time of CCW applications (resident from 30 days-60 days) non-res from (60-120) *I know there are diff. specifications due to who your issuing authority is and what not but this is just getting the word out. Also, the fees for a permit are going to increase although it is unclear how much they will increase.

So we need to find a way to stop this before it even begins. (That's why they contacted me).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Find out the arguments being used to promote this, then you'll be better prepared to respond. Permits are a way of taxing people for their right to self-defense. Making it more difficult is part and parcel to further restricting that right.

Best place to stop this is in committee before reaching the floor of your legislature. Don't know the logistics of your legislative process, but it is worth becoming very familiar with it.

Email, telephone and snail mail campaigns from a broad base of sister organizations can be meaningful - timing is everything with these.

Might suggest that this will just cause more people to OC - that'll get their attention. :lol:

Last edited:

ScottNH

New Hampster recently went from $20 to $100 for their 4-year permit. The Obama factor increased their permit applications 90%.

Non-resident only. Resident is still $10 for four years.

To be honest, the $20 supposedly wasn't covering their fees, and on a practical level, if you're in the State Legislature and looking to raise money, here's one move that will only tee off non-residents, also known as "non-voters." Makes it pretty vulnerable.

Butch00

The problem with ccw is you are asking a Corporation for a privilege, which you have to give up a right to get.
The Constitution is my permit and I will waive none of my Rights ever for any reason.
The Maine Constitution says your right to bear arms shall never be questioned. There are no if, ands or buts...So make the so called government obey the Constitution.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The problem with ccw is you are asking a Corporation for a privilege, which you have to give up a right to get.
The Constitution is my permit and I will waive none of my Rights ever for any reason.
The Maine Constitution says your right to bear arms shall never be questioned. There are no if, ands or buts...So make the so called government obey the Constitution.

Meanwhile, let us know how that works out for you.

Lead, follow or............

jonjon_jon

Hell I know this is a non politico forum but we have a goverment that would rather change the constitution or walk over it then live with in it. Look at health care. Our border. What a mess. Keep voting for change and what do we get. Enough said want to keep within forum rules but yes I'm very concerned and I'm confident many of our members are also.

press1280

I wonder why the wait times are going to be increased. Are the agencies getting backed up or something?

Also OT-when is Maine going to start getting some serious reciprocity?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I wonder why the wait times are going to be increased. Are the agencies getting backed up or something?

Also OT-when is Maine going to start getting some serious reciprocity?
Timeframe: when the legislation goes into vote by the state/senate. As for when is Maine going to get reciprocity? When the government of the State of Maine becomes less lazy so... never. Or perhaps when we have national reciprocity? Yes, then.

Maine CWP Training

Maine Concealed Firearms Permits are recognized in 15 states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming.

With a NRA Personal Protection in the Home Course you can apply for a Florida permit good in 30 states, 34 if you're a snowbird.

crdonov

Maine Concealed Firearms Permits are recognized in 15 states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming.

With a NRA Personal Protection in the Home Course you can apply for a Florida permit good in 30 states, 34 if you're a snowbird.

whats the cost of a florida permit?
xd-out

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, there are specific provisions in the laws that restrict the terms of their mutual recognition agreements ONLY to the LICENSED RESIDENTS of other states. Therefore, those individuals who hold Florida licenses but who are not residents of Florida cannot carry concealed weapons in these states - CO, MI, NH & SC.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Further since neither Arizona, Alaska nor Vermont require permits and all 15 states honoring the Maine permit are duplicated on the Florida reciprocity list, the net gain is considerably less.

Unless I have missed something, the states added would be: AL, CO, GA, KS, MI, MT, NH, NM, NC, OH, SC, TX, VA, WA, WV.

The Utah permit is what I carry along side my home state CC permit in that the combination gives great east coast coverage.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, there are specific provisions in the laws that restrict the terms of their mutual recognition agreements ONLY to the LICENSED RESIDENTS of other states. Therefore, those individuals who hold Florida licenses but who are not residents of Florida cannot carry concealed weapons in these states - CO, MI, NH & SC.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Further since neither Arizona, Alaska nor Vermont require permits and all 15 states honoring the Maine permit are duplicated on the Florida reciprocity list, the net gain is considerably less.

Unless I have missed something, the states added would be: AL, CO, GA, KS, MI, MT, NH, NM, NC, OH, SC, TX, VA, WA, WV.

The Utah permit is what I carry along side my home state CC permit in that the combination gives great east coast coverage.

bingo. what I was just about to post.