• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tri-Cities Open Carry Report

amzbrady

Went to Wally World in Pasco, Walked around shopping for about an hour. No one said not.
Stopped at Terose gas station (or something like that) went in payed for gas, went back out and pumped it, no one said not.
So far it looks like Pasco is in America.

amzbrady

I guess if I see someone running, I'll just figure they are canadian, after all Canadians are just clean shaven, non smelly french people, arent they? As far as the mexicans, unless they speak english, I ignore them. Unfortunatly they dont come with #1 button.

Jayd1981

The only place I've had issues with was a West Richland park. The WRPD is anti-gun, especially the police chief. Other than that, I've open carried all over the Tri Cities without a single incident. Oh and go down lewis st in Pasco, you'll feel just like your south of the border.

mparramore

Geographically speaking, yes. But you have a large population of Mexicans and a Canadian Hockey League team, so the jury is still out.:p

IS Snarly from the Tri Cities? Funny that you mentioned hockey..I used to live in Richland and Pasco. Hockey is big there.

mparramore

I guess if I see someone running, I'll just figure they are canadian, after all Canadians are just clean shaven, non smelly french people, arent they? As far as the mexicans, unless they speak english, I ignore them. Unfortunatly they dont come with #1 button.

I hear ya there...I was stationed in Germany for 4 years....Get on a train on a summer day and gag from the B.O. The country is beautiful and the people were very friendly. Just coming from the States where people are taught that body odor is a sign of bad hygiene and is not normal. You get caught off guard.:eek:

cbpeck

OCing in Tri-Cities is rarely a problem. The population is pretty conservative and for the most part are smart enough to realize that if they see a guy with a gun and he doesn't start doing bad stuff right away, he probably isn't a bad guy. I OC around town fairly often, and only ever had a problem at our local mall, Columbia Center. The Kennewick PD came and we had a talk... you can read about that interaction somewhere in this forum.

amzbrady

Went to Wally World in Pasco today, then found a great place for lunch. Granny's Buffet in Richland. No problems at either.

The only place I've had issues with was a West Richland park. The WRPD is anti-gun, especially the police chief. Other than that, I've open carried all over the Tri Cities without a single incident. Oh and go down lewis st in Pasco, you'll feel just like your south of the border.

I feel like I'm south of the border no matter where I go out here. No one understands english here.

amzbrady

Took off to Road 68 in Pasco to do some shopping at Lowes and Wally World.

Started off to get some hardware at Lowes. Talked to a worker there or a bit who travelled full time for awhile then decided to settle down again. Got what I needed then went over to Wally World. We needed to get a few household things and some groceries. No problems there. We decided to go find a few thrift stores (for some reason my wife has a need to buy used, worn out, ugly old clothes that she will never wear). We found a GoodWill in Kennewick, that was just a tad bit more than a landfill. We then found a little better on off 4th street in Pasco. Picked up some really cheap DVD's. We then went to eat at Wok King in Richland. Then off to Pasco Liquor Store, and back home.
Not a problem no where.
I still havent found the button so I can press 1 for english though.

killchain

Could we be just a little bit more prejudiced? I don't have enough prejudice yet to fill my quota.

Seriously. The Tri-Cities isn't some no-man's land where an english speaking individual is going to starve unless he speaks espanol. And bets are at least 75% of those people you "want a #1 button" for speak english just as well as you do.

Wow.

amlevin

Could we be just a little bit more prejudiced? I don't have enough prejudice yet to fill my quota.

Seriously. The Tri-Cities isn't some no-man's land where an english speaking individual is going to starve unless he speaks espanol. And bets are at least 75% of those people you "want a #1 button" for speak english just as well as you do.

Wow.

I'm not so sure it's prejudice as much as it is frustration. When my Grandfather came to this country he learned English. English was spoken in the house. While they maintained their "native" language, they now lived in a country where English was the language of the land. This country has residents from all over the world. MOST of them learn and use English daily. Many also use their home language in the house and with friends but when they go into the public or work, English is spoken.

Why then is it that so many from Mexico DON'T recognize that English is the language THIS Country runs on? Families come here and even refuse to learn English. Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, have been here for 20 or more years and it's the grandchildren that have to translate for them when they go to buy a part for their car.

No killchain, nobody will starve in the Tri-Cities because they can't speak spanish, but they will certainly be frustrated with the apparent lack of desire to learn and use English while here in this country.

Oh, wait, maybe we just hit on another problem. I said "while here in this country". Many of those from the south really don't want to stay here. They are here for the jobs and what money they can send back to their families back south. THAT's where they call home. Why should they learn English?

BTW, you go to parts of Mexico and you COULD starve if you didn't learn Spanish.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The same disagreement occurs through out the world and here in the U.S. is the only place that accommodate the few over the majority.

I spent 2 1/2 years in Germany while in the Army and you had better get to know a little Deutsch our of respect for the Community and a show of Respect to meld with their culture, otherwise you will find difficult times with many not offering assistance when you could use it.

This is similar of someone walking into your home and speaking a language that you and your family does not know nor is language of your Country.

To summarize it is just plain rude not to try and learn the language of the land.

amlevin

To summarize it is just plain rude not to try and learn the language of the land.

Especially if you plan on sticking around and working here.

What boggles my mind is the number of people who's language is not even close to ours in characters, symbols, tone, or speech. Two that come to mind are Russian, and related, as well as Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. People from these countries may be hard to understand but for the most part they TRY to learn English.

amzbrady

Wow.

Seems to be alot of jobs that request bilingual speaking people. I dont think it would be such a need if there were only 25% non english speaking hispanics (which 2% is too high). My wifes parents grew up out here, Her dad said there were alot of Hispanics here in the 50's for that time period, but you never heard them speak spanish, even to each other. He said he cant believe how many there are now, compared to Americans.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/troosevelt.asp

Last edited:

killchain

Seems to be alot of jobs that request bilingual speaking people. I dont think it would be such a need if there were only 25% non english speaking hispanics (which 2% is too high). My wifes parents grew up out here, Her dad said there were alot of Hispanics here in the 50's for that time period, but you never heard them speak spanish, even to each other. He said he cant believe how many there are now, compared to Americans.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/troosevelt.asp

Request, not require.

And furthermore, I don't give a crap about Teddy's opinion on what immigrants should have to do to live here. The only thing immigrants should have to do to live here is get citizenship and pay taxes. If they want to speak swahili and worship tree gods, I don't care... as long as they pay their taxes and don't hurt anyone.

And when English is adopted as the national language, I'll agree with you. But it's not. If people choose to not learn english, that's their choice. When they want something from me, they will get a "What? I don't speak *insert language here.*"

And frankly, there's a big hispanic population here because of the agriculture. They come here for the work. I don't see white guys lining up to pick asparagus or apples, just saying. Most white guys around here are too busy trying to get on at the lazy H and get paid way too much money to do next to nothing.

amzbrady

Request, not require.

And furthermore, I don't give a crap about Teddy's opinion on what immigrants should have to do to live here. The only thing immigrants should have to do to live here is get citizenship and pay taxes. If they want to speak swahili and worship tree gods, I don't care... as long as they pay their taxes and don't hurt anyone.

And when English is adopted as the national language, I'll agree with you. But it's not. If people choose to not learn english, that's their choice. When they want something from me, they will get a "What? I don't speak *insert language here.*"

And frankly, there's a big hispanic population here because of the agriculture. They come here for the work. I don't see white guys lining up to pick asparagus or apples, just saying. Most white guys around here are too busy trying to get on at the lazy H and get paid way too much money to do next to nothing.

So what your saying is White guys are smarter?

Last edited:

amzbrady

Holy Crap, I love the Tri-Cities. I went to my daughters school for a very emotional Veterens day celebration. There were veterans from WWII, The Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm, and the Iraq War. I have found the Tri-Cities to be very American and patriotic. Not very liberal here. My wife has MANY cousins here, Alot of gun nuts, they hate Obama and they have a traditional family shoot after Thanksgiving dinner. How cool is that, they have made us feel very welcome and we all have alot in common.

I also found a really cool store here, Range and Home or something like that. Passed it on the way to church and stopped in afterwards. It is Kind of like a Cabelas/farm/hardware store. I went in looking for a better holster with better retention. I was looking at the Serpa. I asked the guy behind the counter about them and he said lets see what we can find that will fit. He said I need you to face the wall, and clear the gun and set it on the counter. (What, I dont have to go up front and box it and get it tagged?) Awesome. I unloaded, I put the mag in my pocket, racked the slide to be sure the gun was clear and set it on the counter. He picked it up double checked it and we went and tried some holsters. The closest we found for my Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro was a Serpa for the H&K USP. I wasnt happy with the fit, still kind of hard to release. Afterwards, he handed my pistol back and said face the wall while you re-arm yourself. Simplicity... then I gawked at the 50 cal M107 for awhile. I hope this is the same 50 cal my wifes cousin was saying he had.

We went to lunch after Home and range store, at Granny's then to Winco Foods.

Great Open Carry day.

Last edited:

Jayd1981

That's Ranch and Home. Good store for a lot of different things. Although for firearms I would highly recommend Columbia Gun Rack in kennewick. Its a small store run by a father and daughter, but their customer service is excellent.

amzbrady

That's Ranch and Home. Good store for a lot of different things. Although for firearms I would highly recommend Columbia Gun Rack in kennewick. Its a small store run by a father and daughter, but their customer service is excellent.

I'll check em out tomorrow. CBPeck had PM'd me with a place to go shoot outdoors. I havent been there yet, but I'm gonna have to go check it out. I dont think I can wait till Thanksgiving to go shoot.