• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry Saga (Skidmark) amended to 4/19/11 !!!!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Glad to have been able to provide some entertainment!

As to the obstruction charge, the plea in abatement was granted and the case dismissed with prejudice. The problem was that the sworn statement filed in support of the issuance of the warrant failed to provide any facts supporting the charge of obstruction of justice. The Commonwealth's Attorney told me that he'd spoken to the Sheriff who basically confirmed that there was no factual basis for that charge, and to his credit, agreed to the order dismissing the charge on that basis.

As to the charge of brandishing a firearm, the Commonwealth's Attorney indicated that he wanted more time in which to file a bill of particulars and discovery response; I'd filed a motion to dismiss for failure to do so based on what Judge Palmer had ordered orally at our last hearing; unfortunately, however, he failed to provide any written indication of what he'd ordered, and in Virginia, "a court speaks only through its written orders". Generally, in the General District Courts, the judge will simply write, "granted" or "denied", on the front of whatever written motion they're ruling on, along with the date and signature. Judge Palmer apparently left no record whatsoever. So the compromise was that the Commonwealth gets another three weeks in which to file, but this time a written order (supplied by me) was entered.

I'd also had some problems getting subpoenas issued by the Clerk of Court and served by various sheriffs. The result is that three of the four subpoenas duces tecum (demands for documentary evidence) received no response at all. The continuance of the trial date allows the Commonwealth to produce pleadings and discovery, and for me to do another round of subpoenas, and to give me time to do some independent investigation of the facts that the Commonwealth will rely upon to prove that Skidmark actually engaged in some behavior justifying a charge of brandishing a firearm. (The Commonwealth's Attorney has told me some things informally, and I've read the original complaint to the magistrate, but thus far, I haven't heard or seen any factual basis that would support the elements of the crime alleged, much less anything amounting to evidence of each of the elements by proof beyond a reasonable doubt.) So the continuance of the trial date will be helpful.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
That the brandishing charge survived motions to dismiss is a bit troubling. Apparently, there's enough to establish that the security supervisor's concerns about being spoken to sternly (feeling threatened?) by a MWAG are credible. This seems to lower the threshold that could get an irate OCer in trouble, leaving the issue of "I wasn't trying to scare him, just trying to make my point." as a matter of intent.

That wasn't the issue: the question was whether the Commonwealth should have provided written support for the charge on a timely basis as originally (but orally) ordered at the last hearing. The factual basis of the complaint (if there is one) has not been subjected to test as yet.

Last edited:

sidestreet

Making my plans...,

to be there. Tazdad says if things work out for him, he's gonna come with me.

On another note, great breakfast the other day at RCD, and much thanks to peter nap for all the info I got on 1911's, not to exclude all of the work he's done on this "Surry Sewage" mess and tons of other things, extremely helpful as always.

Keep up the great work peter nap, but see if you can catch a "nap" here and there, and carry on brothers and sisters!!!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Planning to Attend 6/21 Surry Event?

If you are planning to attend the Surry court date for Skidmark, send me a short simple PM so that we may keep track of the numbers etc.

I have recorded/counted those of you that have already so indicated.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
to be there. Tazdad says if things work out for him, he's gonna come with me.

On another note, great breakfast the other day at RCD, and much thanks to peter nap for all the info I got on 1911's, not to exclude all of the work he's done on this "Surry Sewage" mess and tons of other things, extremely helpful as always.

Keep up the great work peter nap, but see if you can catch a "nap" here and there, and carry on brothers and sisters!!!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Thanks Sidestreet.
I've spent most of the day today, at the VDOT headquarters in Richmond. I have filed more FOIA's and raised a little Hell. Rode my motorcycle too:D

2a4all

That wasn't the issue: the question was whether the Commonwealth should have provided written support for the charge on a timely basis as originally (but orally) ordered at the last hearing. The factual basis of the complaint (if there is one) has not been subjected to test as yet.
That's a little better! So if the CA doesn't provide sufficient support for this charge, it should be dismissed, else this charge goes to trial to test the "factual basis"? I certainly hope that test fails!

VAlitigator

I'd also had some problems getting subpoenas issued by the Clerk of Court and served by various sheriffs. The result is that three of the four subpoenas duces tecum (demands for documentary evidence) received no response at all. The continuance of the trial date allows the Commonwealth to produce pleadings and discovery, and for me to do another round of subpoenas, and to give me time to do some independent investigation of the facts that the Commonwealth will rely upon to prove that Skidmark actually engaged in some behavior justifying a charge of brandishing a firearm. (The Commonwealth's Attorney has told me some things informally, and I've read the original complaint to the magistrate, but thus far, I haven't heard or seen any factual basis that would support the elements of the crime alleged, much less anything amounting to evidence of each of the elements by proof beyond a reasonable doubt.) So the continuance of the trial date will be helpful.

As Dan correctly observes, these types of cases are best correctly instead of quickly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As Dan correctly observes, these types of cases are best correctly instead of quickly.

My take on all of this is less technical and more layman's real world.
I've spent a lot of time on this and looked in areas that really don't concern Paul's case but are related.

The charges were BS from the start but my opinion after spending the last several months digging, is that Paul would have been convicted if not for Dan's expertise. This is not a fun county to be in trouble in.

So far what I've seen from the defense strategy, it is a straight forward and solid progression through all the legal hoops.

Taking shortcuts now in order to speed things up to shave some time off, seems silly considering how important this case to both Paul, and every citizen in this state.

I reached the point a long time ago that when Dan says something, no consideration is needed....it's just fact.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My take on all of this is less technical and more layman's real world.
I've spent a lot of time on this and looked in areas that really don't concern Paul's case but are related.

The charges were BS from the start but my opinion after spending the last several months digging, is that Paul would have been convicted if not for Dan's expertise. This is not a fun county to be in trouble in.

So far what I've seen from the defense strategy, it is a straight forward and solid progression through all the legal hoops.

Taking shortcuts now in order to speed things up to shave some time off, seems silly considering how important this case to both Paul, and every citizen in this state.

I reached the point a long time ago that when Dan says something, no consideration is needed....it's just fact.

+1

Agree in total. He is the right man, in the right place, at the right time. Don't think that this is just his being a really thorough, highly competent attorney either - his heart and soul is in the right place too ...... and yes I carry his card in my wallet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Psssst - keep your eyes open

There's a new video coming from Peter Nap and it has some dynamite content.
Might not be fully edited and boxed until Monday though.

Ya, I've previewed it but I ain't tellin'. :lol:

Stretch

This is some positive news for our 2A friends in Virginia. We happen to have our own 2A fight going on right now with a member and the City of Vancouver. I hope that with the member's new attorney (also a member of OCDO), we'll see similar results soon.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Over 900 posts going back to December 2008... can someone give us a two paragraph summary?

TFred

I found it and edited my previous post - didn't realize it was the same case I had heard about way back when.

A young man (21) in Vancouver, Washington is walking back to his truck OCing. Is stopped by LEO asked for permit and ID - no laws broken - he is cited for illegal carry, note OC w/o a pemit is legal AND he has a permit. I/m on p12 of 20+ of this link and no trial yet after about a year.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ve-me-a-ticket

Last edited: