• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on the Reservations

jtrider

My brother and I are discussing a trip from the Badlands area of North Dakota, heading south into South Dakota, then down into the Nebraska Sand Hills. We would be doing this trip on dual sport motorcycles, sticking to the roads less traveled. You know, rutted cow paths. Little or no pavement. We camp. We would be cutting through a number of Reservations. We each have carry permits that cover all states we would traveling, the big question is about the Reservations. Can you folks shed some light on what you know about carrying, open or concealed, on the Reservations?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

hogeaterf6

I have the same question in a different part of the forum.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79974-Indian-Reservation-and-carry

I did some research and basically just contact the reservation and find out what thier laws are and if they reconize permits and such.

I should have looked you up while I was in Vermillion last month. Stayed at the Super 8 next to the Cherry St resturant. I hope to move to Vermillion/ Yankton area or the Black Hills in a couple years. Beautiful area.

Aubb

I've lived on or near reservations my whole life.
My wife teaches at Indian schools.
I now live just off the northern Cheyenne ress.
State law applys to non indian on the ress.
So just carry on as normal.
Indian law enforcement,have no jurisdiction over non indian on or off the ress,what so ever.
They might pretend they do but they don't,they can't arrest you for anything,just hold you for the county sheriff.
I see alot of folks get speeding tickets non indian,heck you don't even have to pay them they can't inforce it,most people
don't know.
This is MOntana I'm talking about other states might be diffirent.

XDSTEEL

I should have looked you up while I was in Vermillion last month. Stayed at the Super 8 next to the Cherry St resturant. I hope to move to Vermillion/ Yankton area or the Black Hills in a couple years. Beautiful area.

Thats too bad. Did you OC while here? Eh maybe I can catch you the next time you come through?

hogeaterf6

Thats too bad. Did you OC while here? Eh maybe I can catch you the next time you come through?

Heck I dont remember! lol I know after a shower I carried to the resturant we ate at but had a long sleeve shirt on over it. When we got back I went to pack the bike and had it exposed. So if I did it wasnt long. I did have it on my hip while I rode but took it off around White River SD. Maybe I'm mental but been to SD 6 times and never had a problem.

XDSTEEL

Good

Thats good to here. Like I said next time you are in town we can OC. Sorry jtrider did not mean to hijack your forum.
DID you ever find anything out?

jtrider

Got an answer from BIA

So I called the ABERDEEN AREA OFFICE, Bureau of Indian Affairs. They tell me that as a non resident of a reservation, state law prevails. I / you / we are to follow all state laws regarding carrying weapons on the reservations. This is nation wide, for non-residents of reservations.

hogeaterf6

So I called the ABERDEEN AREA OFFICE, Bureau of Indian Affairs. They tell me that as a non resident of a reservation, state law prevails. I / you / we are to follow all state laws regarding carrying weapons on the reservations. This is nation wide, for non-residents of reservations.

So what does it mean?

jtrider

So what does it mean?

We as non residents of a reservation would be held to the laws of the state that the reservation is in. South Dakota has legal provisions for concealed and open carry of weapons. All regulations regarding the carrying of those weapons within the state would apply on the reservation, as they would off the reservation. In our case, in South Dakota we are required to have a permit to carry while riding a motorcycle. That is a state requirement, and as such, would apply to our travels on the reservation.

Simply, the state laws apply to you if you are not a reservation resident.