• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O/T not all law enforcement gets to sweep there actions under a rug...

amlevin

Firing him is one thing. Now let's see what the Union has to say. Hopefully they will concur but I wouldn't put it past them to threaten legal action to get this officer restored to his job (which for the last two years has been sitting on the couch or wearing out his refrigerator door at City expense).

oneeyeross

He was already charged..."A jury acquitted Meade of murder and other charges last year, but also determined that the shooting wasn't justified as self-defense. Another officer who was there testified that the shooting was not warranted. "

Now, while I disagree with the jury, he a trail. Charges were brought, filed, a court heard the testimony....nothing I can say about it now. The system had it's chance.

Of course, the Union will up and say he is being "unfairly" let go and all...or is that me just being cynical?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
He was already charged..."A jury acquitted Meade of murder and other charges last year, but also determined that the shooting wasn't justified as self-defense.

Oops...scanned the article and missed that paragraph. Thanks. Now the story is even more ridiculous.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I would think the family would have a civil suit which can financially devastate him and rightfully so in my view.
I am sure as well, we have not heard the last of him, not necessarily in law enforcement but in life in general.

hermannr

Violating policy is the one thing the union can not protect him from. It is too bad he was not conviced of murder.

Last edited:

amlevin

Violating policy is the one thing the union can not protect him from. It is too bad he was not conviced of murder.

The Union started a defense fund for this officer way back when he was charged with 2nd Degree Homicide. They indicated that it would also be used to fight any action to dismiss him.

Expect to hear from the Union soon.

As for his "fellow officers", I was shooting next to the EPD SWAT team (before they stood down for budget reasons) and to a man, the officers were all on his side. They couldn't see anything wrong with his actions and thought he was getting screwed.

The City of Everett isn't done paying yet.

As for a Civil Suit against the officer individually, It's very possible that that was covered in the settlement with the City. Wording to the effect that with the settlement all claims against the city or officer were ended.

What does remain to be seen is whether the State strips him of his certification that will prevent him from working as a Police Officer again (in WA).

Maybe he could get a job in Chicago. I hear that their Police Department takes a different view of actions such as his.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I believe, unless I am mistaken, that federal criminal charges can still be brought because the man's civil rights (right to life, liberty, pursuit of happiness) were definately taken from him.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/124815124.html
A jury acquitted Meade of murder and other charges last year, but also determined that the shooting wasn't justified as self-defense. Another officer who was there testified that the shooting was not warranted.

Precedent: After the local judicial system tried officers involved in the Rodney King beating, federal charges were brought and convictions secured!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King

After the riots, the United States Department of Justice reinstated the investigation and obtained an indictment of violations of federal civil rights against the four officers. The federal trial focused more on the evidence as to the training of officers instead of just relying on the videotape of the incident. On March 9 of the 1993 trial, King took the witness stand and described to the jury the events as he remembered them.[27] The jury found Officer Laurence Powell and Sergeant Stacey Koon guilty, and they were subsequently sentenced to 30 months in prison, while Timothy Wind and Theodore Briseno were acquitted of all charges.

Note that King wasn't slain. In this instance, I'd think that federal charges might well apply for violation of the victim's civil rights.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It took the PD two years (2 FREAKIN' YEARS??) to decide to terminate his employment?

The terms of service here prevent me from expressing my true feelings about this. Well that and the automatic sensor thingy that keeps ruining my spelling of really NSFW words & phrases.

stay safe.

amlevin

It took the PD two years (2 FREAKIN' YEARS??) to decide to terminate his employment?

The terms of service here prevent me from expressing my true feelings about this. Well that and the automatic sensor thingy that keeps ruining my spelling of really NSFW words & phrases.

stay safe.

Although I don't live in Everett, I live fairly close and also wondered why it took 2 years. Apparently it was a strategic decision. If the PD had immediately started an investigation the results would have been available to the family of the victim in their civil suit. As it was, the family got $500,000 from the City but the suit was for $15 Million.

As for the Fed's getting involved, time will tell. I don't think the family will be filing any complaints as it may be in the terms of settlement with the City that they take no further action.