• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UVA Approves Regulation banning firearms :(

Jay

http://www.nbc29.com/story/16021207/uva-passes-regulation-banning-guns-on-grounds

University of Virginia Press Release

Friday the University of Virginia Board of Visitors approved a regulation prohibiting weapons at the University, its medical center and the College at Wise.

The regulation, which will be submitted to the state next week, will go into effect upon publication in the Virginia Register and will be published later in the Virginia Administrative Code. No further state approvals are required.

UVA already has a policy banning weapons. Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli wrote an advisory opinion in July that the policy cannot apply to those with concealed-weapon permits because it did not have the force of law. A regulation, such as the one at George Mason University, however, is enforceable, he said.

The Virginia Supreme Court upheld Mason's regulation after gun owner Rudolph DiGiacinto sued, arguing that the ban on guns in campus buildings violates the state's constitution.

The University's regulation is both consistent with its prior policy and the Virginia Supreme Court's guidance on this issue in the DiGiacinto case.

The regulation applies to faculty, staff and students who are anywhere on University property and to members of the general public who are on University property in "academic, administrative, athletic, entertainment or student residence buildings, child care or dining facilities, the University Medical Center or while attending sporting, entertainment or educational activities."

Exceptions are made for educational or artistic displays and University-approved training. Requests for such uses will be considered by University Police on a case-by-case basis.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Oh, we really need a solid college carry bill this year. I can't wait to see Cuccinelli at the VCDL meeting.

Badger Johnson

It's ridiculous, because the way UVa grounds and the Med Ctr are constructed, during the day you can not do a lock-down - too many ways to get in the building, buildings are linked. There are no metal detectors (except in the Athletic arena where they have concerts).

So, if you CC they can't stop you. Failing to realize this, and that criminals won't follow a sissy 'University Regulation' (hell they won't obey a Federal or State law, what makes UVa think it will stop them?), UVa is just declaring itself a Crime-Rich Target.

Further, if the reg stays the same as at VT (Usually you are asked to leave, or you'll get trespassed or up on Conduct charges if an employee), it's a paper tiger.

$.02

TFred

One by one, the institutions of "higher learning" in Virginia are racing to see how fast they can show the world exactly how stupid their leaders really are.

As I have said numerous times before, what they want is for nobody to come on campus and shoot people. This regulation does nothing to prevent that.

How pathetic.

TFred

Uber_Olafsun

Please someone hammer on him on how colleges get this authority? The regulation crap that colleges put up is crap. What's next? I am sorry but a college should not even think they have the ability to make a law. Their policies that students agree to are one matter but this is affecting non students as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's ridiculous, because the way UVa grounds and the Med Ctr are constructed, during the day you can not do a lock-down - too many ways to get in the building, buildings are linked. There are no metal detectors (except in the Athletic arena where they have concerts).

So, if you CC they can't stop you. Failing to realize this, and that criminals won't follow a sissy 'University Regulation' (hell they won't obey a Federal or State law, what makes UVa think it will stop them?), UVa is just declaring itself a Crime-Rich Target.

Further, if the reg stays the same as at VT (Usually you are asked to leave, or you'll get trespassed or up on Conduct charges if an employee), it's a paper tiger.

$.02

Disagree that it is a "paper tiger" for employees and students. Try getting another university job after being fired for cause or getting into another school after being expelled for breaking their rules. No - they are being disarmed under threat of destroying their future.

Insofar as non-affiliated persons carrying on campus, come to Va Tech Nov 17th and see 1st hand how that works, or watch the film clips from the comfort of your lounge chair that evening.

Badger Johnson

Disagree that it is a "paper tiger" for employees and students.

If we were back in the days when the smallest firearm you could pack was a musket, then yes, they are putting people at risk if some disgruntled patient comes in a-shootin', because it's hard to CC a musket.

But today, if I had a serious need to pack a firearm (say I went to MCV in Richmond where it's pretty dangerous) I could easily CC and never be discovered.

I do get your point and it's sad they are disarming students and threatening careers simply because people wanted to defend themselves, people who had committed no crime, no violent act, no victims were harmed, in fact the person didn't DO anything, they just carried a tool like a cell-phone and they risk their future.

What happened to prosecuting REAL criminals UVA?

USNA69

http://www.nbc29.com/story/16021207/uva-passes-regulation-banning-guns-on-grounds

University of Virginia Press Release

Friday the University of Virginia Board of Visitors approved a regulation prohibiting weapons at the University, its medical center and the College at Wise.

The regulation, which will be submitted to the state next week, will go into effect upon publication in the Virginia Register and will be published later in the Virginia Administrative Code. No further state approvals are required.

THANK GOD THAT IS NOW DONE!!

Now we can all rest easy in the knowledge that there will never, ever, be a gun related injury or death at UVA.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Added my comment, for what it's worth. Challenged UVa to step out from behind the shield of soverign immunity if they are so convinced this will prevent crimes.

stay safe.

USNA69

VCDL in the news

Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 13 Nov, LTE:

Safety requires gun limits
Re “Guns make ODU safer,” letters, Nov. 8: The writer stated that the “backgrounds of people licensed to carry a concealed firearm have been checked, and those people are found to be reasonable and sane citizens.” Technically, this statement is inaccurate as there is no actual test of reasonableness, sanity or even citizenship associated with the concealed handgun permit application process. (USNA69: Neither are there any such tests to operate a motor vehicle, statistically a much deadlier weapon than a firearm.)
What the writer also fails to appreciate is that the group that organized the protest at ODU, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, has as one of its stated goals the repeal of the firearms background check system, while another is the eventual elimination of the concealed carry permit system altogether.
Should the VCDL succeed in its mission of forcing ODU and other Virginia colleges to allow concealed weapons on campus and also succeed in eliminating the concealed handgun permit process, then anyone would be legally allowed to carry a concealed handgun on campus. (USNA69: "Allowed" to exercise a constitutional right???? "Allowed" by whom? Is that the same as being "allowed" to vote or "allowed" speak and write freely or "allowed" to have a trial by jury or "allowed" to ... (insert your favorite Constitutionally guaranteed right).
This would completely negate his assertion that only law-abiding individuals would carry concealed guns on campus and thus make it “safer.” (USNA69: Where would I begin? You guys take it from here.)
Andrew L. Goddard President, Virginia Center for Public Safety Henrico

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Commented:

"I'm deeply disappointed in the UVA Board of Visitors decision to place an attempt to lessen their liability above the safety of those on campus.

The administration of Virginia Tech already has blood from the Cho incident on their hands. It's tragic that the UVA Board of Visitors is willing to be complicit in enabling the next Cho-type incident. "

I'm still not clear how these universtity can create something with the force of law without going through the state government.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Commented:
....snip....
I'm still not clear how these universtity can create something with the force of law without going through the state government.

The Virginia Administrative Code is parallel to statute law with certain limitations. Our state government has decided to allow agencies and municipalities the privilege of making their own operating rules. The problem occurs when these rules or resolutions conflict with the true statutes.

In this case, the "force of law" subjects one to a charge of trespass at best. Guess that they think that will make college/universities safer i.e. don't kill, maim or rape - you may be charged with trespass. :banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Target-rich environment is rich in targets...

They're essentially advertising "We want you kids to die" to parents.