• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabelas and Gun Safety

Contrarian

"How hard would it be to slip a loaded magazine..."

How hard would it be to slap the living thunder outta someone for pointing a weapon at me?

Fixed it for you. :)

Seriously, follow up with a written complaint to Cabela's...this is unacceptable behavior.

j4l

It's simple. I don't trust people who are unable to safely handle a gun, whether it's unloaded or not. They put themselves, and others in jeopardy because of their ignorance. I suppose I [wrongly] held the employees who spend their workdays around guns to a higher standard.

Exactly. Where does one draw the line? Yes, there's the "right" for everyone to posses, etc.
THEN, there's the common-sense of letting some dufus do so, without at least trying to correct their foolishness.
Some potential Darwin Awardee handling firearms -in an un-safe manner -is as much a threat to you and I, as any intentional, criminal threat.
There IS such a thing as taking a "right" a wee bit too literally, and to the detriment of our own well-being.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

There IS such a thing as taking a "right" a wee bit too literally, and to the detriment of our own well-being.
That's the cost and the duty of living with out Constitution and Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights. Same as the First Amendment implies the duty to tolerate stupid and offensive speech/opinions.

Last edited:

Gil223

You used the word "allowed" - which to some minds means government intervention. That infuriates some people. After years on this site, I've simply learned to let it go; the contest is nowhere near even with some ...

Apparently you haven't "learned to let it go", or you wouldn't be making such a BFD out of his post. :uhoh: Pax...

MainelyGlock

That's the cost and the duty of living with out Constitution and Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights. Same as the First Amendment implies the duty to tolerate stupid and offensive speech/opinions.

Well hey, at least we agree that the others opinion is stupid. I think it's moronic to put guns in the hands of untrained people like you suggested, and you think it's offensive that I'd prefer not to. Good news is, we all have our opinions and you can either respectfully disagree, or just keep quiet.

MainelyGlock

By the way all, I did file a complaint with the manager today. I was told that there'd be a follow up call after it was looked into, but I'm seriously doubting that. Needless to say, they've lost my business, at least for awhile.

HighFlyingA380

Sounds like a good idea. I'll go back tomorrow to do so. Manager was not present when I called today. I wonder if the surveillance video is available under the Freedom of Information Act? Or if I am able to obtain it any other way?
I'm no expert, but I believe FOIA relates to government type stuff. Seems that since Cabela's is a private company, it would be entirely up to them if they wanted to release the tapes. I could see how it might be required if an actual crime was committed, but in this situation I think it would be optional, but definitely in their best interest to, in order to show the public they are concerned about safety. Anyone else able to confirm/disprove my hunch?

Jack House

FOIA only relates to the government. Don't hold your breath hoping for tapes. The manager would have to be completely freaking stupid and wanting to spend the rest of his life working at Good Will as a stocker to release them. Such a video could destroy Cabelas. Not sure how it'd reflect on the gun industry as a whole either. Just imagine the outcry when people find out just how dangerous gun owners are. Loading guns at stores and pointing them at customers.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

MainelyGlock

FOIA only relates to the government. Don't hold your breath hoping for tapes. The manager would have to be completely freaking stupid and wanting to spend the rest of his life working at Good Will as a stocker to release them. Such a video could destroy Cabelas. Not sure how it'd reflect on the gun industry as a whole either. Just imagine the outcry when people find out just how dangerous gun owners are. Loading guns at stores and pointing them at customers.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Never even thought of that. The blowback from releasing the tape could also be detrimental to gun owners in general, because people just tend to blow things WAY out of proportion sometimes. Especially when it comes to firearms. "One gun toting employee pointed his pistol at a customer, so all gun owners must be unsafe like that!"

Nevertheless, I filed a complaint. I doubt anything will happen or come of it, because they don't seem like the store to give a crap. I'm content, and they've lost my business.

hogeaterf6

Not sure what I would do if I walked around the isle and saw a gun pointing at me. How would I know I was not a target? I hope this never happens to me cause I may have drawn on him.

HankT

State Researcher
. . . I filed a complaint. I doubt anything will happen or come of it, because they don't seem like the store to give a crap. I'm content, and they've lost my business.

I'd be more inclined to have higher expectations about the response. Strictly as a customer service/customer satisfaction problem, an appropriate investigation into the claim/complaint and an accurate evaluation of performance is warranted.

A major retailer is usually well aware of the customer-based imperatives and a good major retailer will see a negative incident such as this as an improvement opportunity. They'll correct the employee(s) and, often, provide a positive resolution to the customer (including an apology and compensation, say, a coupon or something).

Successful retailers are smart. And smart retailers are not stoopid.

ManInBlack

Exactly. Where does one draw the line? Yes, there's the "right" for everyone to posses, etc.
THEN, there's the common-sense of letting some dufus do so, without at least trying to correct their foolishness.
Some potential Darwin Awardee handling firearms -in an un-safe manner -is as much a threat to you and I, as any intentional, criminal threat.

I'd rather be free than safe.

Risk is something you assume by choosing not to be a slave.