• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire suppressor

Hello everyone I am moving from the Seattle area to Michigan at least for the next couple of months. In Washington we have a very good group of active open carry members and I am hoping for another quality team. I just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I have been open carrying for five years with no truly negative encounters. While I do occasionally get a rude comment or cussed out by a citizen walking down the street overall I have been very fortunate. The only time I have ever been contacted by the police for open carry is when a officer thanked me for standing up for my rights.

I am brand new in general Traverse City area and am hoping for any local tips or advice. I do not have my Michigan CPL but I do have my Washington's and Utah. Once I claim residency and get my Michigan drivers license because I have already have a Utah CPL someone once told me all I have to do to get my Michigan CPL is pay the state fee but I do not know if that is true or not. Also how is the gun culture here? I thought Michigan was a open carry state but when I was flipping through a gun magazine it stated Michigan was not a open carry state so I do not know what to think. Any advise for general day to day living would be appreciated.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Re: Newhobby to Michigan

Also sorry for the subject line my cell phone sometimes adds words when I hit the space bar I should have double checked it before I posted it

stainless1911

Banned
Lol.

We have some of the most screwed up gun laws in the country. And likely the worst roads. Enjoy your stay.

Gun culture is good, except for the division amongst us. Open carry is very active in the state. Negative encounters are dwindling, but still happen if they think they can get away with it.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

Hello everyone I am moving from the Seattle area to Michigan at least for the next couple of months. In Washington we have a very good group of active open carry members and I am hoping for another quality team. I just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I have been open carrying for five years with no truly negative encounters. While I do occasionally get a rude comment or cussed out by a citizen walking down the street overall I have been very fortunate. The only time I have ever been contacted by the police for open carry is when a officer thanked me for standing up for my rights.

I am brand new in general Traverse City area and am hoping for any local tips or advice. I do not have my Michigan CPL but I do have my Washington's and Utah. Once I claim residency and get my Michigan drivers license because I have already have a Utah CPL someone once told me all I have to do to get my Michigan CPL is pay the state fee but I do not know if that is true or not. Also how is the gun culture here? I thought Michigan was a open carry state but when I was flipping through a gun magazine it stated Michigan was not a open carry state so I do not know what to think. Any advise for general day to day living would be appreciated.

Welcome to MI. The best place to start learning MI firearm laws is here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html

And if you have any questions the best place to get an answer is here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/board,5.0.html

Evil Creamsicle

WildChild said:
Not so much. Besides me the other posters haven't done anything to help him learn MI's confusing firearm laws.

Well, Christ, give us five minutes...

Fire suppressor! Welcome!

I would start with taking a look at these laws here:

28.425o
This deals with where a concealed pistol license holder cannot carry a concealed pistol.

28.425f
This covers disclosure to a police officer that you are carrying/are licensed to carry concealed.

750.234d
This deals with general areas where carrying is prohibited, but since you possess an out-of-state concealed pistol license, you meet the requirements to be exempt from this law. It is only here for reference.

This deals with carrying a concealed pistol in a vehicle... but I don't think its the cite I'm looking for. I think there is another one that specifically mentions resident permits [vs nonresident permits] or something... you might have trouble carrying in the car until you have your MI CPL... but I can't seem to find this cite right now. Someone please correct me or point me towards the cite if you remember where to find it.

Things to note:

The word 'concealed' is important. For example, you only have to disclose to a police officer if you are carrying a concealed pistol.
Also, the list of PFZs from 750.234d provides places you can't carry without a CPL, while the list in 28.425o covers places you cannot carry a concealed pistol. This creates three levels of carry freedom.
OC without CPL,
CC with CPL,
OC with CPL.

OC with CPL makes you exempt from the lists in 750.234d and 28.425o... which means the only places you can't carry are those restricted by Federal law such as Federal Reserve Banks [which are different from normal banks] or courtrooms, and College Campuses generally [they are allowed to make their own legally binding rules]

I am not a lawyer... please do your own research, but hopefully this is a good starting point.

Fellow OCDO members, please point out if I have made any errors.

You can research MI codes of law here: Michigan Code of Law

ETA: Please, bickering children, daddy is working to help the new poster. If this crap is all you have to offer, please refrain from posting in this thread so I can do some actual good.

To fire suppressor: There have been incidents of this recently, please, ignore it or PM me if you want more info without having to deal with it. I'm sure its just a phase.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

FS, due to you having a valid CPL from Washington, Michigan MAY waive the 6-month residency period. See below:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(u4...eg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425b

(7) The concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a license to an applicant to carry a concealed pistol within the period required under this act after the applicant properly submits an application under subsection (1) and the concealed weapon licensing board determines that all of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.

(b) The applicant is a citizen of the United States or is an alien lawfully admitted into the United States, is a legal resident of this state, and has resided in this state for not less than the 6 months immediately preceding the date of application. The concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month residency requirement for a temporary license under section 5a(8 ) if the concealed weapon licensing board determines there is probable cause to believe the safety of the applicant or the safety of a member of the applicant's family is endangered by the applicant's inability to immediately obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol. If the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month waiting period and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established. The concealed weapon licensing board shall immediately issue a temporary license to that applicant. The temporary license shall be valid until the concealed weapon licensing board decides whether to grant or deny the application. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.

As for Open Carry in the State of Michigan....

Open Carry in Michigan is legal as there are no laws that prohibit it.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
....I am brand new in general Traverse City area and am hoping for any local tips or advice. I do not have my Michigan CPL but I do have my Washington's and Utah. Once I claim residency and get my Michigan drivers license because I have already have a Utah CPL someone once told me all I have to do to get my Michigan CPL is pay the state fee but I do not know if that is true or not. Also how is the gun culture here? I thought Michigan was a open carry state but when I was flipping through a gun magazine it stated Michigan was not a open carry state so I do not know what to think. Any advise for general day to day living would be appreciated.
To save you a little time in looking up the laws, MI is an open carry state. However, without a CPL, you can't OC in your vehicle. For some silly reason they seem to equate that with carrying concealed.

Next, you have to take the course required in order to get your MI CPL, unless there's something in your background that will let you skip it. I don't recall off hand what they are, but if you take the time to actually look up the laws, they'll tell you.

Finally, I fixed the title of the thread for you. I presume that's what you intended to call it. And in spite of someone else's accusation of trolling, I don't see it. At least not yet, so I'm not about to close/delete this thread.......just yet. :)

TheQ

Ok, I'll agree, I do like this forum, but I also like MOC's forum as well. And they have quite a lot of good info there. That's why I don't understand the "haha's" to Wildchild's post.

He's upset he's banned there so therefore it isn't a good place:question:

Just guessing.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I guess I don't really need to ask, "are we done here?" Now that it's been side tracked. I have to think the OP got the info he was looking for. If no one has any more useful info to post, let's not get off topic. It was bad enough that I participated in this effort. Then again, I like OT stuff as much as anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.