• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello From VA

HearseGuy

Hi guys!

I didn't see a specified area for introductions, but i figured since i live in the great state of Virginia I'd pop in and say hello!!

I have been contemplating starting to OC lately and this site has been an invaluable resource for many questions i had. I sold most of my firearms before moving to VA, except a few shot guns, so i don't at current own a handgun, but have owned several. I'm still trying to decide on a modestly priced handgun to fit the bill. After a couple incidents over the summer, the ole lady has expressed interest in being properly trained to use a fire arm if the need ever arises, so im definitely going to get back into guns.

With that being said, i would love to uphold my 2a rights by OCing, but still have apprehensions. I'm sure we'll be chatting soon guys! Thanks for the opportunity to access and contribute to a fantastic site.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Hi guys!

I didn't see a specified area for introductions, but i figured since i live in the great state of Virginia I'd pop in and say hello!!

I have been contemplating starting to OC lately and this site has been an invaluable resource for many questions i had. I sold most of my firearms before moving to VA, except a few shot guns, so i don't at current own a handgun, but have owned several. I'm still trying to decide on a modestly priced handgun to fit the bill. After a couple incidents over the summer, the ole lady has expressed interest in being properly trained to use a fire arm if the need ever arises, so im definitely going to get back into guns.

With that being said, i would love to uphold my 2a rights by OCing, but still have apprehensions. I'm sure we'll be chatting soon guys! Thanks for the opportunity to access and contribute to a fantastic site.

WELCOME! The more the merrier.

If you can, join us at the General Assembly Building in Richmond the 21st (MLK Day). Many, many of the members of this forum - even those who are not members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) - will be there; it's our annual opportunity to visit with every legislator in the GA and let them know we're watching and fighting.

In addition to OCDO, PLEASE consider joining VCDL. It is the premier gun-rights lobbying organization in the nation, IMHO, made stronger by the fact that we recognize others are fighting the national battles, and we restrict our focus to Virginia. It's what makes Virginia's laws so good.

Whether or not you carry, feel free to join one of the meetups posted (usually as a sticky) on this forum. It's a great way to meet other gun owners, and you've already seen what a wealth of information there is among them!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO.

As joining VCDL and attending lobby day have already been covered, I am left with encouraging you to attend OC meet&greet events in your area. Regular lunches or dinners used to be held across Tidewater but seem to have fallen off of late. They are usually announced and made a sticky at the top of the Virginia forum. Look for them.

If you don't see one and want to meet fellow OCers in your area, post a thread about having a meet&greet. Starbucks is a great place to hold one, as are several gun-friendly restaurants. Evenings or weekends may be better for some folks, but don't let that get in your way. (Check out the events in NoVa, Richmond, and Lynchburg for ideas.)

stay safe.

HearseGuy

Thanks for the welcomes guys. I gladly signed up for VA-Alerts and will absolutely be joining the VCDL!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Welcome aboard!

(I think I'll skip the next VCDL shoot if he attends. I'll bet he's got dead aim and can drive tacks.)

Justine

Welcome to the neighborhood! I live in Virginia Beach. We had a low turn out for an OC lunch in December, and what with the ending of the holiday season haven't had another this month, but will likely be posting something about one for February on the facebook Virginia Open Carry page, and facebook VCDL page. Otherwise, there are several of us that frequent the area gun ranges every week, so company is always welcome.

:lol:

stickslinger

Welcome to the neighborhood! I live in Virginia Beach. We had a low turn out for an OC lunch in December, and what with the ending of the holiday season haven't had another this month, but will likely be posting something about one for February on the facebook Virginia Open Carry page, and facebook VCDL page. Otherwise, there are several of us that frequent the area gun ranges every week, so company is always welcome.

:lol:

Ugh, facebook. Don't need facebook to OC or eat lunch :uhoh:

HearseGuy

IM cetainly up for an OC lunch in the area! But you will have to notify me here as i dont have FB.

180shabah

IM cetainly up for an OC lunch in the area! But you will have to notify me here as i dont have FB.

So glad to hear I am not the only anti-FBer around. I do have an acct, but use it only to share pics with distant relatives.

I grew up in tidewater and do miss it sometimes, but I am not ready to jump back into the traffic and congestion....