• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kroger - "Can I ask you to leave that outside?"

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This afternoon I entered the Kroger store on Glenway Avenue in Cincinnati, intending to purchase some gift cards, but first wanted to use the restroom.

As I was standing at the porcelain object on the wall in the men's restroom I heard a voice behind me say "Hello" and ask how I was. I turned around to see who it was and found it was a security guard (not a police officer). He said "Can I ask you to leave that outside?" Since I had no intention of leaving what I had in my hand outside, I said "Leave what?" ;)

I think he said something about there being a bank in the store, but since I was otherwise occupied I said something to the effect of "How about if we talk about it after I get done here?" After two (or three) repetitions of his request and my request, he finally left the restroom. I was hoping he didn't repeat the request again because at that point I was really irritated, thinking "Does this guy really think this is the place and time to have a discussion??"

Anyway, I left the restroom and found him in front of the customer service desk and asked what was up. He said that he was told that since a bank in the store and since they sell liquor, no carry was allowed. He said that not all stores had banks or wine-tasting, but that the policy applied only to such stores. I asked him "Who said that?" and he said "The management", so I asked to speak to the manager. I then told him that I was an instructor, and that the law wasn't what he was told it was. It was a pleasant conversation, he told me that he personally had no problem with open or concealed carry, but that he was doing as he was told.

The manager arrived and repeated what the guard said about their policy - no OC or CC in certain stores. I questioned it, stating that it was my understanding that Kroger's policy was to follow state law, and asked if the policy had changed. I told him that if it had, I would put out the word, but that the last time the policy had to be clarified, it resulted in lots and lots of calls, nationwide, to Kroger's customer service center. I asked him to please check on the policy, and he did so. He came back and said that he had checked with loss prevention and found that unless the customer was "causing a problem" (like "causing" a customer to complain) that carry of any sort was fine.

So, we're back to who is "causing" a problem! <sigh>

I asked and received the name and phone number for the manager and the loss prevention employee, as well LP guy's e-mail address.

It's late tonight, and I'll work up a letter to the LP guy, but in the meanwhile I'd appreciate contact information higher up in the food chain if anyone has it.

This is the second such instance I'm aware of this year, the other being here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ut-of-Kroger&p=1979034&viewfull=1#post1979034

I certainly don't want Kroger to establish a policy other than "we follow state law", but no one yet that I've seen has documentation/documentation from someone other than a customer service rep of just what their policy is - and that just doesn't cut it.

samkent

Was the 'guard' an off duty sheriffs deputy? Or a rent a cop?
The Kroger I stop at sometimes has an off duty officer. But I haven't seen him since I've started to OC.
Did they even ask if you might be an off duty officer? Cincinnati is a large enough area that they can't know every officer from every police department.

Not one time has any of the employees said anything to me. I doubt they even notice.
Could it be the guard is bored and is looking for some kind of interaction to break up his day?
If it was from corporate they should just put up gun buster signs.

I have to assume if it was just the manager of the day you still have to leave.

Brian D.

I'll cordially advise you in the same vein as over at the OFCC forums: Sounds like your follow up efforts would be better focused on whatever security company or companies Kroger hires. Maybe it was just this one guard who is at level of ignorance, or maybe a bunch of them are getting lousy information that is contrary to both the Ohio Revised Code, and Kroger's policies/rules.

Maverick9

To the manager: "Do you know this gentleman followed me into the rest room and was repeatedly harassing and haranguing me and looking at my privates during use? I'd like to file a complaint."

IOW turn the tables.

samkent

To the manager: "Do you know this gentleman followed me into the rest room and was repeatedly harassing and haranguing me and looking at my privates during use? I'd like to file a complaint."

IOW turn the tables.

He could have pulled a slapstick and just turned around and addressed the guard while taking care of business at the same time.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Was the 'guard' an off duty sheriffs deputy? Or a rent a cop?...
It was a security guy, not an off-duty officer. Former Marine, he said.

It seems his instructions came from HIS misinformed superiors, not from Kroger.

Brian D.: As far as focusing on the security company, I have to talk to their boss, which is Kroger - hence I have to go to corporate. Clearly the issue wasn't resolved with the KY OCer's contact with corporate, and as well my encounter is part of a bigger picture.

Maverick9: Had the guy asked me one more time, I was ready to verbally go off on him, because by that point the whole "bathroom/urinal conversation thing" was getting weird.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Maverick9: Had the guy asked me one more time, I was ready to verbally go off on him, because by that point the whole "bathroom/urinal conversation thing" was getting weird.

Don't want to get too personal but either a) you guys talked really fast to cover three rounds of the same question and answer, or b) your prostate needs some work.

Reminds me of the movie 'Wolf' w. Michelle Pfeiffer/Jack Nicholson - Jack is talking to the young whipper-snapper and pees over his suede shoes....

MyWifeSaidYes

HPmatt said:
Don't want to get too personal but either a) you guys talked really fast to cover three rounds of the same question and answer, or b) your prostate needs some work.

BB62 is, like, 9 feet tall. His internal organs are probably a bit larger in volume than a normal human. I'm betting that the guard could have kept talking for a while. :lol:

HPmatt said:
Reminds me of the movie 'Wolf' w. Michelle Pfeiffer/Jack Nicholson - Jack is talking to the young whipper-snapper and pees over his suede shoes....

To those that know me...yes. Yes, I would have. :cool:

rast1971

kroger

:banana: I live in Mansfield and oc at Kroger all the time, i have had a few people go to the manager and complain but they are told that it is legal in Ohio and that Kroger supports the 2nd amendment. Kroger management has never said anything to me the only reason i know about the complaints is that my brother is the loss prevention/security guy.

papa bear

I've been hearing more about Kroger here lately. there is another thread about getting kicked out of one. i would like to hear corporates response to this

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
:banana: I live in Mansfield and oc at Kroger all the time, i have had a few people go to the manager and complain but they are told that it is legal in Ohio and that Kroger supports the 2nd amendment. Kroger management has never said anything to me the only reason i know about the complaints is that my brother is the loss prevention/security guy.
Can your brother get me the name, e-mail and/or phone number of someone higher up in the food chain at corporate? How does their LP hierarchy work?

Any insight or help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I've got the Cincinnati/Dayton LP Division head - but I'm trying to get to the head of ALL divisions, or higher.

Thanks for your efforts.

samkent

I just came back from the exact Kroger store mentioned by the OP.
My lady and I walked right past the security guard. Holster side facing him.
He did not say a word.
We did our small shopping (oranges and advil).
On the way out I made a point of walking past him again. This time I stopped and asked him "Has it been like this all day?".
He looked down at my holster and back up at me and said "Yea". Then he looked back at the holster.
We smiled and left. Nothing was said.

So we are left to wonder what is different.
Different guard? Was it that one guards personal belief?
Guard education? Did someone say something to the guards?
My appearance? I know it shouldn't matter technically. But in the real world appearance does matter.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Guard education? Did someone say something to the guards?..
Did you miss this part of my post? "He came back and said that he had checked with loss prevention and found that unless the customer was "causing a problem" (like "causing" a customer to complain) that carry of any sort was fine."

The manager said that while standing in front of me and the guard. What do you think a guard would do, 1) himself and 2) within his company, if a store manager just told him that the division LP manager just contradicted what he had been told previously? Hmmm...

What did the guard look like?

F350

He said "Can I ask you to leave that outside?"

I'm a smart @, and since he wasn't asking/telling you to leave it outside, he was asking permission to ask you to leave it outside I would likely have said "NO" and continued about my business.