• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Story on Open Carry on ABCs "Nightline"

buster81

I saw this. PVC did a good job again. ABC was anti-gun...again. Someone from the Brady Bunch looked like a sniveling weasel... again.

Last edited:

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I thought it was actually a pretty good piece. The anchors were obviously anti, but the Brady guy and the protesting anti's were actually given significantly less time. The OC advocates featured, both the speakers and those in the background, did an excellent job of representing the cause and displayed the diversity of the movement. This was especially surprising as most news pieces seem to go out of their way to cut out all the women, minorities, etc, that don't fit the "overweight, middle-aged, rural, white guy" bill.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I think that all things considered this was an amazingly positive piece. For starting it off with a workplace shooting, they truly moved away from that. The woman that made the piece called me earlier in the day to tell me that it was going to be on. She also wanted to assure me that it had already been scheduled to run and that they weren't just running it because of the workplace shooting.

I fail to see how the people were obviously anti? Perhaps your failing to see that today we are beginning to get some friends in the media. I know for a fact that the woman who did the piece on my organization wasn't anti at all. She was very passionate and curios, an excellent journalist! I was actually extremely surprised by how positive she was. She truly listened to the facts and began to form an opinion based upon fact, not emotion. She also called me to get a quote about how the Brady Campaign had called me a "radical". They failed to state my response because I don't think it fit what they thought I would say? I replied with "It's just sad when they have to resort to name calling".

Remember fellas, we are just everyday people and the media, as well as everyone else is beginning to see this. I can definitely see them saying: "Hey, those guys were really cool! I would definitely hangout with them in my daily life! They're really nice people too!" We are winning guys... everyday a little bit more... everyday. Only thing I didn't like about the piece was the fact that they tried to make us look like we were against the NRA. Is the NRA the best? No, but they're the best we have and we are NOT going to leave them in the cold and in most aspects they won't leave us out there either. But you must realize that they need to be a safe-haven for all firearms owners. We are a much more nimble, faster paced group that can react at a moments notice to different circumstances occurring in our state. We need to be around on the state level, just as much as the NRA needs to be around on the national level. Ok, I'm done my little rant... it's late at night and I need to get to bed so I'll be able to function at work!

Last edited:

Jack House

Just some advice; people will be more likely to read your post if you break it down into bite sized pieces.

Last edited:

USMC1986

Its seems to me that Nightline is on the fence about gun ownership. This video didn't really give off any indicators that they are for or against. They interviewed people from both sides.

I remember watching a Nightline special on open carry in Virginia. They seemed to lean towards gun-owners on the matter. It would seem to me that nightline is just like a majority of people out there that are unsure about it all. Let's make sure we're continuing what we're doing and let's educate the public on what guns really mean.

I recommend you guys read a book called "More Guns, Less Crime" by John R lott Jr. It will give you some great arguments backed by years and years of statistics that should help educate those who don't know about what guns actually do, when placed in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Jack House

yeah, well what do you expect after I've worked all day and posted that last minute before I walked up to bed? Either way I got out what I wanted to say.
I'm not trying to be rude or an ass, I'm merely trying to help you. It is better for your point, and the people reading it, if you break it down into paragraphs. A wall of text like that is much harder to read and most people simply aren't going to bother.

I thought that all things considered this was an amazingly positive piece.

For starting it off with a workplace shooting they truly moved away from that. The woman that made the piece called me earlier in the day to tell me that it was going to be on. She also wanted to assure me that it had already been scheduled to run and that they weren't just running it because of the workplace shooting.

I fail to see how the people were obviously anti? Perhaps your failing to see that today we are beginning to get some friends in the media. I know for a fact that the woman who did the piece on my organization wasn't anti at all. She was very passionate and curios, an excellent journalist! I was actually extremely surprised by how positive she was. She truly listened to the facts and began to form an opinion based upon fact, not emotion.

She also called me to get a quote about how the Brady Campaign had called me a "radical". They failed to state my response because I don't think it fit what they thought I would say? I replied with "It's just sad when they have to resort to name calling".

Remember fellas, we are just everyday people and the media as well as everyone else is beginning to see this. I can definitely see them saying: "Hey, those guys were really cool! I would definitely hangout with them in my daily life! They're really nice people too!" We are winning guys... everyday a little bit more... everyday.

Only thing I didn't like about the piece was the fact that they tried to make us look like we were against the NRA. Is the NRA the best? No, but they're the best we have and we are NOT going to leave them in the cold and in most aspects they won't leave us out there either. But you must realize that they need to be a safe-haven for all firearms owners. We are a much more nimble, faster paced group that can react at a moments notice to different circumstances occurring in our state.

We need to be around on the state level, just as much as the NRA needs to be around on the national level. Ok, I'm done my little rant... it's late at night and I need to get to bed so I'll be able to function at work!
See how much easier it is to read?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not trying to be rude or an ass, I'm merely trying to help you. It is better for your point, and the people reading it, if you break it down into paragraphs. A wall of text like that is much harder to read and most people simply aren't going to bother.

See how much easier it is to read?
I edited it just a minute ago... not into as many paragraphs as you though. Hey, I'm a college kid walls of text are my life! haha... either way, yes it's easier to read but I just didn't have time, nor is it even that well written. It was simply something that I plastered down on my way to bed before work again the next day. Next time I'll make sure that I have more time, and form a much more articulate piece.:eek:

simmonsjoe

I edited it just a minute ago... not into as many paragraphs as you though. [highlight]Hey, I'm a college kid walls of text are my life![/highlight] haha... either way, yes it's easier to read but I just didn't have time, nor is it even that well written. It was simply something that I plastered down on my way to bed before work again the next day. Next time I'll make sure that I have more time, and form a much more articulate piece.:eek:
*FacePalm*

MKEgal

So far, my favorite comment on that story has to be this one:

"Bullets don't kill people.

I set one on the coffee table last night, pointed directly at my wife, and it didn't budge. We even tried provoking it into some kind of violent action, and it just sat there.

Thinking it might be hesitant to take violent action, I put about 20 more on the table next to it to provide some anonimity. Still nothing. Finally, we made it watch several gratuitously violent movies featuring many many guns, and it just sat there - staring, as if contemplating its own existance.

Our final test involved putting all of the bullets on the nightstand and went to sleep, thinking they might prefer the cover of night to do their dirty work. When we woke up in the morning, all but one of the bullets was still on the [nightstand].

I found the rogue bullet on the floor, making a pointless attempt at trying to remove itself from an obviously volatile situation. Our conclusion - the bullets - all of them - must be somehow defective since both us and all of our dogs survived the night without any injuries or deaths."
posted by: LoveMyEBR Aug-10