• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor McDonnell in NoVA for Town Hall - Wednesday, August 25 - 7PM-8PM

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Dear Friends,

Please join me at Governor McDonnell's town hall meeting next Wednesday, August 25, from 7:00-8:00 p.m. The town hall meeting will be held at the Northern Virginia Technology Council Auditorium, located in the CIT building, 2214 Rock Hill Road, Suite 300, in Herndon.

This is one of several meetings Governor McDonnell plans to hold across the state as part of his town hall tour entitled, "Virginia Speaks: A Conversation about Jobs, Government Reform and Our Future.”

If you are not able to attend, you can view the Governor's Town Hall PowerPoint Presentation here and I will be happy to pass along any suggestions you may have. Please email them to me at DelTGreason@house.virginia.gov .

I hope you are having a great summer.....see you soon!

Tag

nova

Dear Friends,

Please join me at Governor McDonnell's town hall meeting next Wednesday, August 25, from 7:00-8:00 p.m. The town hall meeting will be held at the Northern Virginia Technology Council Auditorium, located in the CIT building, 2214 Rock Hill Road, Suite 300, in Herndon.

This is one of several meetings Governor McDonnell plans to hold across the state as part of his town hall tour entitled, "Virginia Speaks: A Conversation about Jobs, Government Reform and Our Future.”

If you are not able to attend, you can view the Governor's Town Hall PowerPoint Presentation here and I will be happy to pass along any suggestions you may have. Please email them to me at DelTGreason@house.virginia.gov .

I hope you are having a great summer.....see you soon!

Tag

I don't have anything else to do so I may go.

VApatriot

Copied from the other Town Hall thread:

In 1989, Virginia passed its first-in-the-nation state instant check statute. Nine years later, the national instant check system (NICS) became available. Since 1998, there has been a federal requirement for purchasers of any modern firearm from any gun dealer in every state to undergo a criminal history records check.

So, for the past twelve years, the Virginia Firearms Transaction Program (VFTP) has been obsolete and unnecessary. For all gun purchases, the VFTP requires additional paperwork (Virginia State Police Form 65 in addition to the federal Form 4473), imposes a two dollar fee (state gun tax - no fee for NICS) and causes inordinate delays, particularly on weekends at gun shows and gun stores since the Virginia State Police is not adequately staffing this operation to meet demand.

The solution to this persistent problem is not to increase the state gun fee/tax or appropriate more state government funds that Virginia taxpayers cannot afford, especially in these tough budget times, to perpetuate this antiquated and duplicative program. Instead the VFTP must be repealed so that only NICS will be required for gun purchases in Virginia as in 35 other states.

With your help, pro-gun Attorney General Bob McDonnell was elected the 71st Governor of Virginia nine months ago. When he was inaugurated on January 16, Governor McDonnell signed Executive Order #2 establishing the Governor's Commission on Government Reform and Restructuring. Its stated purpose is to "conduct a thorough review of Virginia state government" and to "identify opportunities for creating efficiencies in state government, including streamlining, consolidating, or eliminating redundant and unnecessary agency services, governing bodies, regulations and programs."

The Virginia Firearms Transaction Program has certainly become redundant and unnecessary since NICS took effect in 1998.

I hope to be at the town hall meeting to support getting rid of VSP backround checks. Is there any information about needing to submit questions/suggestions in advance or needing to sign up to speak?

TFred

Here's the whole remaining schedule:

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=290

August 24, 2010 - 7:00pm-8:30pm

* Fredericksburg
University of Mary Washington
George Washington Hall
Dodd Auditorium
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg

August 25, 2010 -7:00pm-8:30pm

* Fairfax
CIT Auditorium
2214 Rock Hill Road, Suite 300
Herndon

August 26, 2010 -7:00pm-8:30pm

* Harrisonburg
James Madison University
East Campus Dining Hall – Montpelier Room
800 S. Main Street
Harrisonburg

August 30, 2010 - 7:00pm-8:30pm

* Danville
Institute for Advanced Learning and Research
Great Hall
150 Slayton Ave.
Danville
***Partnering with the Sorensen Southside Public Leadership Series***

August 31, 2010 - 7:00pm-8:30pm

* Bristol
Bristol Public Library
J. Henry Kegley Meeting Room
701 Goode Street
Bristol

tkd2006

Copied from the other Town Hall thread:

In 1989, Virginia passed its first-in-the-nation state instant check statute. Nine years later, the national instant check system (NICS) became available. Since 1998, there has been a federal requirement for purchasers of any modern firearm from any gun dealer in every state to undergo a criminal history records check.

So, for the past twelve years, the Virginia Firearms Transaction Program (VFTP) has been obsolete and unnecessary. For all gun purchases, the VFTP requires additional paperwork (Virginia State Police Form 65 in addition to the federal Form 4473), imposes a two dollar fee (state gun tax - no fee for NICS) and causes inordinate delays, particularly on weekends at gun shows and gun stores since the Virginia State Police is not adequately staffing this operation to meet demand.

The solution to this persistent problem is not to increase the state gun fee/tax or appropriate more state government funds that Virginia taxpayers cannot afford, especially in these tough budget times, to perpetuate this antiquated and duplicative program. Instead the VFTP must be repealed so that only NICS will be required for gun purchases in Virginia as in 35 other states.

With your help, pro-gun Attorney General Bob McDonnell was elected the 71st Governor of Virginia nine months ago. When he was inaugurated on January 16, Governor McDonnell signed Executive Order #2 establishing the Governor's Commission on Government Reform and Restructuring. Its stated purpose is to "conduct a thorough review of Virginia state government" and to "identify opportunities for creating efficiencies in state government, including streamlining, consolidating, or eliminating redundant and unnecessary agency services, governing bodies, regulations and programs."

The Virginia Firearms Transaction Program has certainly become redundant and unnecessary since NICS took effect in 1998.

I hope to be at the town hall meeting to support getting rid of VSP backround checks. Is there any information about needing to submit questions/suggestions in advance or needing to sign up to speak?

Just so i understand this correctly you want to add to Virginias unemployment. You also want to get rid of the nations top firearms transaction center one that helps the Va state police lead not only all other states with arrests and convictions of people that attempt to purchase a firearm and are prohibited but also leads the feds. I will point out one thing to the people that keep saying this is a redundant center. Look at Arizona they are trying to put someting in place to help their state becase the feds wont do their job. So why would you want to get rid of a state agency that is standing between you and the fed gov. Once things like this are gone its hard to get them back to see this you need to see the states taht are trying to get a firearms transaction center back in their state. Maybe you shouyld check out the differences between the 2 before you want to get rid of something. dont rely on what someone tells you do the research and here is the first thing you can check if you get denied in a NICS state and want to appeal how long does it take i think if you call the NICS phone number it tells you 174 days in Va its less than 2 weeks. yeah id like to wait the extra time while the feds do nothing.

VApatriot

Just so i understand this correctly you want to add to Virginias unemployment. You also want to get rid of the nations top firearms transaction center one that helps the Va state police lead not only all other states with arrests and convictions of people that attempt to purchase a firearm and are prohibited but also leads the feds. I will point out one thing to the people that keep saying this is a redundant center. Look at Arizona they are trying to put someting in place to help their state becase the feds wont do their job. So why would you want to get rid of a state agency that is standing between you and the fed gov. Once things like this are gone its hard to get them back to see this you need to see the states taht are trying to get a firearms transaction center back in their state. Maybe you shouyld check out the differences between the 2 before you want to get rid of something. dont rely on what someone tells you do the research and here is the first thing you can check if you get denied in a NICS state and want to appeal how long does it take i think if you call the NICS phone number it tells you 174 days in Va its less than 2 weeks. yeah id like to wait the extra time while the feds do nothing.

How will this add to unemployment? The government workers can be moved to do something more usefull somewhere else.

How does a Virginia system keep me from being denied by the Fed NICS? Federal forms and backround checks must be done for every single firearm purchase from a dealer in every single state. If there is a problem with the Fed system, filling out a Virginia form will not help ME.

I am, quite frankly, tired of filling out extra paperwork and paying an additional tax on every gun I buy, just so that I can be told twice that I have no criminal record. So long as the Fed system is required in all states, I see no need to have to pay for a second system in Virginia. So unless you can come up with a way for the system to be funded entirely by felons and other people who might be lawfully denied, then I want nothing to do with it.

tkd2006

So you seem to think NICS would be better for all of Virginia or just you. Like i said do the research and get all the facts before you make a wish list. How can filling out a Va firearms form help if NICS has a problem. Well bottom line is if you are one of many people that get delayed because of something in your past Va will help you get the problem straight NICS will leave you denied or not approve the transaction at all and leave it up to the dealer to release the firearm.

I also dont how you are being told TWICE that you have no criminal record do you thinks NICS calls va and say hes approved and them VA runs you again. Understand NICS is nothing more than a server storing information and people pull info from it, be they a federal employee or state that does their own check. Look if you are getting delayed the question is why if you were not getting delayed you would not open your mouth about this because it wouldnt affect you. if you have a past criminal history then being delayed shows what you do when you are younger follows you. If you have a common name sorry if someone has used your information then get it corrected.

nova

Look if you are getting delayed the question is why if you were not getting delayed you would not open your mouth about this because it wouldnt affect you. if you have a past criminal history then being delayed shows what you do when you are younger follows you. If you have a common name sorry if someone has used your information then get it corrected.
Criminal history usually has nothing to do with delayed checks.
I've never been delayed but know lots of people who have. It's always been during the gun show weekends, when they're swamped with calls. They're understaffed, so in order to complete all the checks they end up delaying the sales for a couple hours to a full day before completing them all. One doesn't need to have a criminal history or common name to be delayed, it just needs to be a busy weekend with lots of gun transfers happening in the state for it to bog them down. Without raising taxes or raising the background check fee to hire more workers, why not just get rid of a redundant system? In fact, why can't Virginia be like many other states where permit holders don't even need to have the check done for every purchase since they already had an extensive one done to get the CHP? Federal law allows for it, so why not take advantage of it?

Last edited:

VApatriot

Nice job assuming VAPatriot has a questionable history...

I've never been delayed but know lots of people who have. It's always been during the gun show weekends, when they're swamped with calls. They're understaffed, so in order to complete all the checks they end up delaying the sales for a couple hours to a full day before completing them all. One doesn't need to have a criminal history or common name to be delayed, it just needs to be a busy weekend with lots of gun transfers happening in the state for it to bog them down. Without raising taxes or raising the background check fee to hire more workers, why not just get rid of a redundant system? In fact, why can't Virginia be like many other states where permit holders don't even need to have the check done for every purchase since they already had an extensive one done to get the CHP? Federal law allows for it, so why not take advantage of it?

Thanks, Nova. I actually ment to make the same point. I know that permits in Alaska (witch are optional) allow you to forgo backround checks. I also have a friend who is routinely delayed, allegedly, simply do to the fact that he has so many different carry permits. He has been told that simply having his name pop up in several different databases (although not for any crimes) is causing them to delay his purchases.

VaLiberty

Just so i understand this correctly you want to add to Virginias unemployment.

Just so I understand this correctly, you want taxpayers to pay for redundant government bureaucracy in the name of "decreasing unemployment"?

That's a great idea...

nova

Nice seeing you, Ed.

Did you see the president of GMU there too?:)

tkd2006

Criminal history usually has nothing to do with delayed checks.
I've never been delayed but know lots of people who have. It's always been during the gun show weekends, when they're swamped with calls. They're understaffed, so in order to complete all the checks they end up delaying the sales for a couple hours to a full day before completing them all. One doesn't need to have a criminal history or common name to be delayed, it just needs to be a busy weekend with lots of gun transfers happening in the state for it to bog them down.

this has to be the most outlandish thing ive heard. If you could please tell me how would they delay you and why in the world would they want to. If your name is entered into a computer system do you honestly think someone is looking at all the names and decideing to pick out a few and delay for the reason you state. Just so i understand, you are saying people that would normally get an instant approval are delayed because its a gunshow weekend. All i can say is WOW. Question do you have anything to back any of this up.

tkd2006

Just so I understand this correctly, you want taxpayers to pay for redundant government bureaucracy in the name of "decreasing unemployment"?

That's a great idea...

your defination of redundant and mine must be 2 different things. to me it would be redundant if the FEDS
made the same arrests that Va state police do but they dont. No other state even comes close to attempted
firearm purchases. now if the feds want to step up and enforce the law as its writtem then you could argue
but they dont.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Nice seeing you, Ed.

Did you see the president of GMU there too?:)

Nice seeing you too Dave. Nope.. did not see anyone from GMU (besides you) and not one word about me Open Carrying. Not even a weird eye from the secret service or the state police.
44851_120894421293983_100001202771197_133268_1191822_n.jpg

Glock27Bill

this has to be the most outlandish thing ive heard. If you could please tell me how would they delay you and why in the world would they want to. If your name is entered into a computer system do you honestly think someone is looking at all the names and decideing to pick out a few and delay for the reason you state. Just so i understand, you are saying people that would normally get an instant approval are delayed because its a gunshow weekend. All i can say is WOW. Question do you have anything to back any of this up.

There was a VCDL VA Alert a while ago stating that they had reduced staffing in positions where they process the checks.

And, yes, they are understaffed to the point that the high volume generated by gun shows overwhelms them.

Your name may be in a computer database, but the process is not automated...a state employee must take the phone call and type your name in the computer.

Same as calling any help desk during time of high volume...your wait time increases.

t11spanner

Forgive my ignorance here on the subject, but are there not states that have this service online? I cannot remember where I was, but the dealer at a gun show was typing the information into the computer, and the results came back almost as soon as the "enter" button was pushed.

Carl

nova

Maybe I know this because I've been told this exact reason by several gun dealers I know personally? I know this because friends of mine I know very well and have no criminal history are approved within 2 minutes during a slow week but when purchased during the weekend of the Expo Center show they're delayed until the next day?

Last edited:

Glock27Bill

Forgive my ignorance here on the subject, but are there not states that have this service online? I cannot remember where I was, but the dealer at a gun show was typing the information into the computer, and the results came back almost as soon as the "enter" button was pushed.

Carl

In VA, every check I've had done was by phone, with a human being on the other end.