• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plan on visiting Leesburg and Fredericksburg next week (9/26/2010).

CSM US ARMY

My wife and I are planning to come to Virginia next week to scout out area's for buying a house. I can't wait to get back to an open carry friendly state(NC,VA). I am from Nebraska (open carry state). I will let everyone know, what I run into on the drive up from Fort Stewart Ga.

CSM US ARMY

Welcome to OCDO.

What part of the state? It's fairly diverse!

TFred

We are going to be in Leesburg and Fredericksburg. We have been assigned to the Pentagon, and I am just looking for a small Farm/Ranch for our horses. We have lived here before, about a decade ago.

TFred

We are going to be in Leesburg and Fredericksburg. We have been assigned to the Pentagon, and I am just looking for a small Farm/Ranch for our horses. We have lived here before, about a decade ago.
Can't speak to Leesburg, but Fredericksburg is a world different than 10 years ago. There are still rural areas around, you just have to drive a little bit farther to get to them. I guess that's true everywhere that is growing.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You might want to develop some contacts in real estate that can let you know about short sales in the area. I've seen some going for 0.20 on the dollar here in the last couple of months.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I don't know how well you know the area, but both Leesburg and Fredericksburg are sucky commutes to the Pentagon.

MSC 45ACP

Stop kidding yourself. ANYWHERE in nova/md is a sucky commute to the Pentagon...

But then there is this rather recent invention you may have heard about... They call them "trains". I certainly wouldn't drive a car from Fred'berg to DC every day. That would be nuts! I've heard the commuter from F'berg to DC isn't that bad. The military also gives you extra $$$ for taking public transportation.

TFred

But then there is this rather recent invention you may have heard about... They call them "trains". I certainly wouldn't drive a car from Fred'berg to DC every day. That would be nuts! I've heard the commuter from F'berg to DC isn't that bad. The military also gives you extra $$$ for taking public transportation.
I was going to mention VRE to the OP, but he said he had been here about 10 years ago, which was well after VRE started up.

I've ridden VRE just a very few times, so it's still a novelty for me, but it doesn't take much observation on the train or especially as they jump off and literally run for their cars, that they aren't there by first choice.

Probably better than driving, but clearly a lesser of two very evil options.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was going to mention VRE to the OP, but he said he had been here about 10 years ago, which was well after VRE started up.

I've ridden VRE just a very few times, so it's still a novelty for me, but it doesn't take much observation on the train or especially as they jump off and literally run for their cars, that they aren't there by first choice.

Probably better than driving, but clearly a lesser of two very evil options.

TFred

But OC is not prohibitted on VRE.

Admittedly the OP could not avail himself of that during the work week (unless he found a secure storage site before arriving at the Pentagram). It's just pleasing to remind folks of the fact.

stay safe.

altajava

I might suggest somewhere in between Manassas and Warrenton, plenty of horse properties and close to Manassas VRE. I see a lot of DOD stickers around the north side of Warrenton.