• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry limits

wdr89523

Hi, I want to start using my Open Carry rights, but was wondering if there are any limitations to what kind of firearm I can carry openly. Currently I have a Ruger 9mm. I know all the other limitations like where not to open carry without permission. I also think it was great that the State of Nevada passed legislation where cities, counties and other jurisdictions can't infringe my right by passing laws saying I can't carry without a permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry, I live in the State of Nevada. So the question pertains to that State only. Thanks!

Welcome to OCDO - lots of good people and thoughts here.

Moved your thread/posting to the Nevada sub-forum where it is more likely to get direct and specific response.

Sabotage70

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Correct. I shouldn't have been so vague. The only stipulation is that the chamber cannot be loaded in a vehicle for rifles and shotguns.

NRS 503.165 Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.
1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.
2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1367; A 1971, 1542; 1981, 321; 1987, 596)

However, if you really want to have a rifle or shotgun in your car with a round chambered, you can always cut a leg off! ;)

Last edited:

28kfps

Yep full mags ok, none in the rifle chamber. A few years back 3 of us deer hunting in the Ruby mountains in northern NV 60 miles from the closest pavement on a 4X4 road come face to face with a lone fish and game LEO. He was very serious and asked us to in a safe manner partly open the action of the 8mm mauser, bolt action 30.06 and semi auto 30.06 to show the chambers was empty. I also had a fully charged scoped 44 mag on my hip he had on issue with it. After seeing no chambered rounds he was a lot friendlier and at ease while checking for tags and hunting licenses. I do not believe I would want to be a lone LEO in the middle of an hunting area.

Last edited:

Sabotage70

Correct. I shouldn't have been so vague. The only stipulation is that the chamber cannot be loaded in a vehicle for rifles and shotguns.

However, if you really want to have a rifle or shotgun in your car with a round chambered, you can always cut a leg off! ;)

That is such an odd provision. I still have all me digits attached so it wouldn't apply. :monkey

And hell no I wouldn't want that job.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
And by unloaded for rifles., no round in the chamber. Magazine yes, chamber no, correct?

Just one comment. If you encounter a LEO who wants to search your weapon, and you choose to cooperate, if you have a magazine in the gun, make sure to instruct the officer to remove the magazine first. You don't want to encounter the rookie who opens the action for inspection, only to draw a round from the magazine, and mistakes that new round as "loaded".

Sabotage70

Just one comment. If you encounter a LEO who wants to search your weapon, and you choose to cooperate, if you have a magazine in the gun, make sure to instruct the officer to remove the magazine first. You don't want to encounter the rookie who opens the action for inspection, only to draw a round from the magazine, and mistakes that new round as "loaded".

I would hope that with the extensive firearms training that they have. He would know better. :eek: