• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

duty belt for OC????????

oliverclotheshoff

i have been thinking about going the duty belt direction but was interested in issues others have had to overcome in using duty belt versus a good heavy belt used to hold up your pants like holster shifting or excess bulk caused by the belt

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The only issue I could see is the cost, duty belts are expensive. Though they can be found second hand reasonable. I do not care much for the Sam Brown belt as adjusting is a pain for winter, because of the need to wear outside the coat and then shorten the belt for indoors wear. Some holsters will not fit the wider width of a Sam Brown belt also. I use a two inch wide work belt that I lined with chap leather, most holsters fit it, and It is easy to wear without having to move the buckle. A ranger belt IMO would be better than a Sam Brown belt, they are both considered duty belts, the ranger is usually only 2 inches wide though, and has a standard buckle.

Trip20

If you're interested in trying something not too expensive, check out the wilderness instructor belts. Click Here. Or Click Here. I have the 5.11 version that's my favorite for OC or CC, OWB or IWB.

Last edited:

pkbites

i have been thinking about going the duty belt direction but was interested in issues others have had to overcome in using duty belt versus a good heavy belt used to hold up your pants like holster shifting or excess bulk caused by the belt

Have you considered going with nylon? I've seen nylon duty belts on Ebay and Cheaper than Dirt that come with everything (holster, baton holder, oc spray holder, mag holder, etc.) for under $40. Though the holsters suppled leave something to be desired the other items are pretty good and the price is a steal!

WalkingWolf

Have you considered going with nylon? I've seen nylon duty belts on Ebay and Cheaper than Dirt that come with everything (holster, baton holder, oc spray holder, mag holder, etc.) for under $40. Though the holsters suppled leave something to be desired the other items are pretty good and the price is a steal!

I'm allergic to nylon and plastic, gives me sudden urges to get a haircut, shave, and wear dockers.

oliverclotheshoff

havent quite considered which one what color or style of anything yet just weighing the pros and cons

Firearms Iinstuctor

Used duty belts can be found cheap at most gun shows.

I have 4 or five hanging around. I haven't worn one from the time I retired. I don't find the need as I only carry a gun, leatherman and extra mag.

When carring all the extra equipment when working they worked well. Keeping all your gear in one place easy to grab and put on going out the door

I use a good leather 1.5 inch belt remember you well still need a good belt to attach the duty belt to, plus belt keepers to keep the duty belt in place other wise they slide all around, up and down.

Nylon or leather dosen't matter I used both and they work about the same. Nylon is a bit easier to adjust then the sam browne style not much.

They well make you and your gun stand out more IMHO.

oliverclotheshoff

I have 4 or five hanging around. I haven't worn one from the time I retired. I don't find the need as I only carry a gun, leatherman and extra mag.

When carring all the extra equipment when working they worked well. Keeping all your gear in one place easy to grab and put on going out the door

I use a good leather 1.5 inch belt remember you well still need a good belt to attach the duty belt to, plus belt keepers to keep the duty belt in place other wise they slide all around, up and down.

Nylon or leather dosen't matter I used both and they work about the same. Nylon is a bit easier to adjust then the sam browne style not much.

im curious to how a light duty duty belt (1.5")does at pulling double duty holding up pants and holding the ghost glock

WalkingWolf

Belt keepers and inner belt are not necessary for using a duty belt~I knew many officers who did not use keepers. We used Velcro belts, I didn't care for them much, when I was young had had a small waist 28" so the weight pulled my uniform pants down to my waist. I found it uncomfortable, and stopped using the Velcro inner belt and let my duty belt ride my waist. Velcro does have an advantage as far as adjustment though.

EMNofSeattle

When I OCd in Montana I used a nylon gun belt with a plastic buckle and no keepers. I wouldn't do belt keepers, they allow your gear to weigh down your pants, defeating the purpose, and the point of the gun belt is to (at least to me) to avoid having to thread a belt through all the loops and mount the holster everytime you begin carrying. Belt keepers begin to project the image of an LEO wannabe, while I technically do want to be a police officer, I don't want to project that everywhere I go

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think there is something here I do not understand. Why is a duty belt needed instead of say just a good thick gun belt? I know some of the name-brand guys like Galco make gun belts in the $60-80 range, but I've also seen nice thick gun belts in undecorated black leather for $20--and that was in a notoriously expensive gun shop.

Is it a question of the amount of gear? Weight of a hunting handgun?

WalkingWolf

I think there is something here I do not understand. Why is a duty belt needed instead of say just a good thick gun belt? I know some of the name-brand guys like Galco make gun belts in the $60-80 range, but I've also seen nice thick gun belts in undecorated black leather for $20--and that was in a notoriously expensive gun shop.

Is it a question of the amount of gear? Weight of a hunting handgun?

A duty belt is usually a good thick belt. Sam Browne and Ranger belts are usually associated with duty belts, but I have seen Sheriffs who wear whatever belt suits them, even though the deputies use issued belts. Texas Rangers are free to use whatever belts they wish for duty, as long as they maintain a western attire appearance. My belt could be construed as a duty belt to some people, which it was originally intended for a work belt.

It is not the weight or amount of gear, it is the convenience of not having to go through a ritual when putting on or taking off a gun. It is not having a gun pulling down my pants, or having it wearing a hole in the upholstery of a vehicle. It also increased access to the gun when hanging from the seat next to me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP It is not the weight or amount of gear, it is the convenience of not having to go through a ritual when putting on or taking off a gun. It is not having a gun pulling down my pants, or having it wearing a hole in the upholstery of a vehicle. It also increased access to the gun when hanging from the seat next to me.

Oh, I see. Thanks.

PS: I always go through a ritual when putting on taking off a gun. Incense. Chants. The whole business. Its a little embarrassing in shopping center parking lots, but its what folks who worship their gun gotta do. :)