• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops don't have to protect you!

SFCRetired

Disgusting show of lack of testicular fortitude on the part of that NYPD officer. However, no less an entity than the Supreme Court of the United States has held that the police have no duty to protect the individual citizen (sorry, but I can't find the cite right now).

Kudos to the citizen who stepped in and stopped the attack. Shame that the repressive regime in New York does not allow its subjects to be armed for their protection.

MKEgal

re: cops don't have to protect you

Not trying to be flip here, but "yeah, so what's your point?" :rolleyes:
I know it seems wrong & against the "serve & protect" slogan, but courts at all levels, up to SCOTUS, have ruled that unless someone is in custody there's no duty to protect an individiual citizen.

See Warren v. DC (1981) for a particularly heinous case of the cops screwing up.

Castle Rock [CO] v. Gonzales, SCOTUS 2005 - estranged husband killed his 3 daughters, despite a restraining order & despite the mother contacting police multiple times

DeShaney v. Winnebago County [WI], SCOTUS 1989 - custodial father physically abused a child to death, despite being on the radar of children's services

MasterGadgets

re: cops don't have to protect you

Not trying to be flip here, but "yeah, so what's your point?" :rolleyes:
I know it seems wrong & against the "serve & protect" slogan, but courts at all levels, up to SCOTUS, have ruled that unless someone is in custody there's no duty to protect an individiual citizen.
So what do we pay them for? Clean up the mess and take out the trash?

cablebob

X2.

So, they take an oath to protect and serve but in all reality they are saying "to collect a paycheck, issue citations and help if it seems like a good idea at the time"

This is why I will never give up my guns.

eye95

We don't pay them to protect us as individuals. Their primary function is to deal with crime AFTER it happens. To effectively deal with it before it happens requires a police state that infringes on our rights.

If you want to be protected as an individual, hire a personal body guard.

Or, you could be prepared to take care of yourself instead of looking to government to be responsible for you. Personally, I don't want to be infantilized by Big Brother.