• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Few questions for those with more knowledge.

7om5hipp

I am new to the whole open carry thing, been a supporter of it for years but never really saw a need to do it. However, with the way you can't trust people these days I feel the need to protect not only myself but my family is in greater demand. My questions might have been asked before so please excuse me if I ask something that seems stupid.

My first question is about holsters, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type are required or recommended. As of right now the one I use when I go out fishing at farm ponds does not any strap to secure my revolver in place, it fits snug enough that it does not fall or move. The barrel sticks out the bottom of it though and I did not know if that was a problem or not. Another question that might sound really dumb is about wearing one, I have seen people wear holsters that tuck inside their pants but leave the firearm exposed, and others that wear on the outside of their pants. Are both allowed, or just the outside one.

Second question, does anyone know of any restrictions for OC in Mexico, Fulton, and Columbia. I have read as much as I could and I think I have Columbia figured out, but I can not find info on the other cities and I have tried calling and emailing them with no results. If someone could PM me links to the info I would be in your debt.

Third question, and this one I have had trouble getting answers for. When in my car am I allowed to wear my pistol openly on my side, or does it still have to be placed in the glove box.

Well that is all I have for now, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Boba Fett

I'll let wiser and more knowledgable people answer your other questions, but I think I can answer the last one. If you are over 21, you can open or conceal carry in your car without a permit. If you'd like to see the law that says this just ask. If you're under 21 it has to be unloaded and in a locked case,OR the ammo has to be in a locked case.

Last edited:

RugarRev

First ... Welcome aboard!

Second ... Holsters: find one that that fits you and your pistol. By that I mean inside the waistband (IWB) or outside(OWB) will depend on your situation. I have both types and depending on the location/activity I plan for the day will dictate my mode of carry for that day. Some of my duties require i be more discreet than others. The bottom line here is comfort, physical and mental.

Third ... Have you had a chance to visit this site yet ...

http://handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

It has been a great help to me, it may prove the same for you.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Handgunlaw can be a good starting point. However, I do not recommend that you use Handgunlaw to determine your mode of carry or where you think you can carry.

For example:
RSMo 571.030.4. Subdivisions (1) (conceal carry), (8) (church carry, ect..), and (10) (school carry) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 ...
I am not stating that you should carry, I am stating that if you do, with a valid endorsement, a unlawful use of weapon charge cannot/should not be brought against you. It all depends on the situation and who takes exception to you being armed if they discover that you are armed. Read all of RSMo 571 and any related statutes. Research your local ordinances codes. If you see a "no guns" sign take your business elsewhere. Especially for those of you who like to parse words such as OC is OK because the sign says no concealed guns......puh-lease. The "property owner's wishes are made known."

Comport yourself as if you are the one, and only, person who will convince our elected representatives, by your behavior, that the restoration of our rights is well deserved.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
My first question is about holsters, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type are required or recommended. As of right now the one I use when I go out fishing at farm ponds does not any strap to secure my revolver in place, it fits snug enough that it does not fall or move. The barrel sticks out the bottom of it though and I did not know if that was a problem or not. Another question that might sound really dumb is about wearing one, I have seen people wear holsters that tuck inside their pants but leave the firearm exposed, and others that wear on the outside of their pants. Are both allowed, or just the outside one.

Being a Virginian, I'll leave all of the state and local carry questions to be answered by those in your location who know your specific laws.

As for the proper holster, and as another poster has already indicated, proper gun fit and comfort are very important. If you're going to be carrying a lot, a comfortable holster, either Inside the Waistband (IWB) or on your belt Outside the Waistband (OWB) is more a matter of style, how you dress, how accessible you need it to be, etc. The holster should cover the trigger area, but I don't think it matters much if the barrel peeks out from the bottom. Many holster manufacturers provide firearm model-specific versions that provide the best fit for the firearm(s) you will be carrying.

As for retention, there are many choices. Many carry in a holster with no retention feature that holds the firearm tightly enough that it will not fall or move, yet will release the firearm quickly when needed. I prefer a thumb-break retention strap that comes over the top of the holstered firearm. Others prefer holsters where more than one action may be required to draw the firearm (Level III). Basically, a retention feature isn't primarily there to prevent the firearm from "falling out," it's to prevent an unauthorized person from removing it from your holster.

You will find that you will eventually have a drawer full of holsters until you find the one that combines the best comfort, cover and retention for each firearm you will be carrying.

7om5hipp

Well I just went and talked to City Hall in Centralia and they told me there is no ordinance against open carry, I even went one step farther and went over to talk with the police just to introduce myself and to let them know that I planned to carry in town. Had two very different encounters at both places, at City Hall one of the women there looked at me like I had grown a second head and asked me why I would even want to do that...I simply told her because when something bad happens the police will not be there at that moment, I would and I want to make sure I am able to defend myself or my family. I talked to the Lt over at the Police Department and he told me he understands there is a need to open carry these days, never once tried to talk me out of it or tell me to rely on the police.

logunowner

I open carry everyday. It is just second nature for me to do so. A good belt and a good fitting holster as others have said is the key to having a good experience. You do not have to spend an arm and a leg for your holster, just me sure it fits you and your piston well. I enjoy mine as it rides high above my belt and snug to my hip.
Welcome aboard,

Boba Fett

Well I just went and talked to City Hall in Centralia and they told me there is no ordinance against open carry, I even went one step farther and went over to talk with the police just to introduce myself and to let them know that I planned to carry in town. Had two very different encounters at both places, at City Hall one of the women there looked at me like I had grown a second head and asked me why I would even want to do that...I simply told her because when something bad happens the police will not be there at that moment, I would and I want to make sure I am able to defend myself or my family. I talked to the Lt over at the Police Department and he told me he understands there is a need to open carry these days, never once tried to talk me out of it or tell me to rely on the police.

Sounds like you've got a first class town to carry in.

kylemoul

I for some reason am still under the impression carrying concealed in your vehicle is fine, but openly carrying in your vehicle still matters what city/municipality you are in.

I certainly welcome anyone who can show state law. I am in a gray area with that myself.

mspgunner

I for some reason am still under the impression carrying concealed in your vehicle is fine, but openly carrying in your vehicle still matters what city/municipality you are in.

I certainly welcome anyone who can show state law. I am in a gray area with that myself.
The law that allows anyone to carry a firearm in their vehicle without a CCW does say concealed. You'll find it in the statute, I'm just not going to jump to find it.

kylemoul

The law that allows anyone to carry a firearm in their vehicle without a CCW does say concealed. You'll find it in the statute, I'm just not going to jump to find it.

I agree with you 100% it says that in 517, i just don't see where people are getting the OC part in their vehicle (in that section).

mspgunner

I agree with you 100% it says that in 517, i just don't see where people are getting the OC part in their vehicle (in that section).

OC prohibition is not mentioned in State statutes except municipalites can prohibit it, there for OC is allowed in your vehicle except where prohibited by local laws. Just like carrying,

Boba Fett

OC prohibition is not mentioned in State statutes except municipalites can prohibit it, there for OC is allowed in your vehicle except where prohibited by local laws. Just like carrying,

Which is correct...but still sucks. I live in Fair Grove (no OC due to numerical typos in the law), so that would mean I have to conceal every time I leave my house on my way to Springfield! :(

mspgunner

Which is correct...but still sucks. I live in Fair Grove (no OC due to numerical typos in the law), so that would mean I have to conceal every time I leave my house on my way to Springfield! :(

Welcome to my world, that's why we are trying to chnage the stupid law. It's been 4 years in the making and we are ever so close.
If we get 436 and veto over ride, hopefully next year will be better yet....
Wheels are spinning, bills are written for the next session.
We need step one to get step two............

Boba Fett

Welcome to my world, that's why we are trying to chnage the stupid law. It's been 4 years in the making and we are ever so close.
If we get 436 and veto over ride, hopefully next year will be better yet....
Wheels are spinning, bills are written for the next session.
We need step one to get step two............

Keep thinking ahead. :D

mspgunner

Keep thinking ahead. :D

We NEED people to show up on Sept. 11th at 0900 front lawn of the capitol! If we do not have one heck of a crowd and people to bug their legislators we'll look stupid for even trying.

Hit the halls, talk to the legislators or their staff and fill the gallery at 12:00 NOON!

Next year depends on this year, this year depends on all of us.