• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The latest from the Maplewood City Council 3 29/11

lancers

Interesting. Thank you to the Maplewood-Brentwood Patch for digging into this. I guess it didn't have anything to do with my comments in jail like so many said it did...

JDW

So much wrong with that article , I don't know where to start . Thanks Marc for trying straighten them all out.

kcgunfan

lancers, the Coffee Crawl discussion was pretty much fallout from your initial report. So, strictly speaking, you are correct. But, you are somewhat tied to it.

I like how the lazy reporter says that it's legal to OC in MO with a permit. I'd be curious to know which permit I need, I don't seem to have one.

The aldermen seem to have forgotten how they get reelected. Not having public debate on curtailment of your rights seems politically expedient, but a poor way to represent your constituents.

I wonder what the City Manager saw as the perceived threat? The post simply said it was to educate the public. That doesn't sound very threatening.

Finally, I wonder how the media gets such quick access to things like this? The jailhouse tapes looked to be released almost immediately. These emails were less than 2 weeks old when Patch got ahold of them. Either they're really good at handling Sunshine Law requests, or they're trying to shape public opinion.

mspgunner

lancers, the Coffee Crawl discussion was pretty much fallout from your initial report. So, strictly speaking, you are correct. But, you are somewhat tied to it.

I like how the lazy reporter says that it's legal to OC in MO with a permit. I'd be curious to know which permit I need, I don't seem to have one.

The aldermen seem to have forgotten how they get reelected. Not having public debate on curtailment of your rights seems politically expedient, but a poor way to represent your constituents.

I wonder what the City Manager saw as the perceived threat? The post simply said it was to educate the public. That doesn't sound very threatening.

Finally, I wonder how the media gets such quick access to things like this? The jailhouse tapes looked to be released almost immediately. These emails were less than 2 weeks old when Patch got ahold of them. Either they're really good at handling Sunshine Law requests, or they're trying to shape public opinion.

I do not respond to lancers posts, I know he will be reading this. He has been banned from Missouri Carry (MSSA) AND I agree he has done more to hurt OC in Missouri than anyone can imagine. He will not be welcome
at OC get togethers as far as I'm concerned.... I don't know how others feel, but I'd leave if he shows up.

lancers

Well obviously, but everyone said the ban was because of my actions/words. Clearly, as soon as the police made contact with an OCer, this was going to happen. It could have been me, you, or anyone else on this forum, the same thing would have happened.

lancers

I do not respond to lancers posts, I know he will be reading this. He has been banned from Missouri Carry (MSSA) AND I agree he has done more to hurt OC in Missouri than anyone can imagine. He will not be welcome
at OC get togethers as far as I'm concerned.... I don't know how others feel, but I'd leave if he shows up.

You feel this way based on one slanted news story? Come on...

REALteach4u

For you OC and CCW advocates, if this passes can you now admit to yourselves that Maplewood and other municipalities ARE regulating concealed carry by denying open carry?

Why you might ask? They're telling you that your 2A rights are INVALID and UNLAWFUL unless you can afford to pay for the concealed carry class, the background check, and the new card. That my friends IS regulating of concealed carry! It's not changing the CCW laws by any means, but it's certainly regulating those who will be allowed to carry in Maplewood with the requirement that you have a CCW permit, if they require it by law it's regulating it folks.

This needs a prompt lawsuit on the Constitutionality of that dreaded 1984 law. It should never have passed in 1984 and should not stand today as it's clearly unconstitutional.

Last edited:

nrepuyan

msp i'd say that's a lil harsh....especially since to an extent he's no more "baited" police than anyone else involved with going to each police station / city hall and or starbucks and taken pictures has. that's like calling someone out for driving thru north city and then having something happen to them. but for you to say he's outright not welcome at oc gatherings...who are you to speak for everyone and make that call....kind presumptuous eh? if you would prefer to leave if he were around that's your business...but to try to force that opinion on everyone else in a public forum is well...just kinda low...and really gives all the anti's what they want and that is to divide 2A people in any way they can. but....c'est la vie eh?

the only difference between you and him is, he had an incident....we haven't....yet. i'm not saying i agree with what may or may not have happened in mr. d's last incident...but that's not my place to judge him....so i won't. but i def won't stand for the elitist look down your nose at everyone else attitude cause someone doesn't do something you may have liked it to have been....anti's already classify some oc'ers as snobs...and i'd be damned as hell if it were true.

the higher up on the platform you get...the farther you are gonna fall.....which does happen from time to time.

just sayin.

Last edited:

sohighlyunlikely

Not Welcome

msp i'd say that's a lil harsh....especially since to an extent he's no more "baited" police than anyone else involved with going to each police station / city hall and or starbucks and taken pictures has. that's like calling someone out for driving thru north city and then having something happen to them. but for you to say he's outright not welcome at oc gatherings...who are you to speak for everyone and make that call....kind presumptuous eh? if you would prefer to leave if he were around that's your business...but to try to force that opinion on everyone else in a public forum is well...just kinda low...and really gives all the anti's what they want and that is to divide 2A people in any way they can. but....c'est la vie eh?

just sayin.

Mspgunner's statement reflects one I had made to him and others in person. Mr Darrows would not be a welcomed guest to any gathering that I organize. It is my opinion that he is not a very good representative of Open Carry and I do not particularly care to be associated with him mainly for the following 3 reasons.

1) Even before his very brief entrance into doing any OC he carried a reputation that is a bit controversial.
2) His reckless comments made to impress a random cellmate regarding intentions of OCing and implying he has any inclination to take aggression toward the arresting officers.
3) His continuing desire to transplant all blame on to others. He owns up to none of his own misgivings and I personally think this speaks volumes of his character.

Doc

mspgunner

Mspgunner's statement reflects one I had made to him and others in person. Mr Darrows would not be a welcomed guest to any gathering that I organize. It is my opinion that he is not a very good representative of Open Carry and I do not particularly care to be associated with him mainly for the following 3 reasons.

1) Even before his very brief entrance into doing any OC he carried a reputation that is a bit controversial.
2) His reckless comments made to impress a random cellmate regarding intentions of OCing and implying he has any inclination to take aggression toward the arresting officers.
3) His continuing desire to transplant all blame on to others. He owns up to none of his own misgivings and I personally think this speaks volumes of his character.

Doc

You have it right. I've seen how you interact with LEOs in a calm and positive way, with respect and a civil attitude. Even in the face of different opinion with the LEOs the way you conduct your self is very positive. This defuses any uncomfortable feeling with them and they leave with education and understanding, not with you in cuffs and detention. It's a choice an OCer has to make. Get in their face or talk in a civil and poli6te manner... The reults are generally up to us.

lancers

You have it right. I've seen how you interact with LEOs in a calm and positive way, with respect and a civil attitude. Even in the face of different opinion with the LEOs the way you conduct your self is very positive. This defuses any uncomfortable feeling with them and they leave with education and understanding, not with you in cuffs and detention. It's a choice an OCer has to make. Get in their face or talk in a civil and poli6te manner... The reults are generally up to us.

Too bad I didn't have a chance. After I was pulled out of line, disarmed in front of everyone at the checkout, I was dragged to the security room and arrested! The only things I said prior to arrest was, "no" in response to the officer asking if I was a cop and, "Did I do something wrong?" Yeah, after arrest I got a little hot, but you get dragged out of a store and taken to jail when you have done absolutely nothing wrong and you might think a little different.

Have you or Doc had this happen?

cash50

After reading the comments of the city council people, I see that they've attempted - and succeeded - to outdo Brett in the arena of complete foolishness.

Saying stuff like "I don't want concealed guns either" or "anyone can stand in their yard and display a gun" or "point it at someone" truly reflects the ignorance and disrespect for our rights the by these members of the council.

It would be truly difficult to have a conversation with one of these people, and I wonder how they actually hold public office.

I wouldn't run away if Brett showed up either, btw.

nrepuyan

Too bad I didn't have a chance. After I was pulled out of line, disarmed in front of everyone at the checkout, I was dragged to the security room and arrested! The only things I said prior to arrest was, "no" in response to the officer asking if I was a cop and, "Did I do something wrong?" Yeah, after arrest I got a little hot, but you get dragged out of a store and taken to jail when you have done absolutely nothing wrong and you might think a little different.

Have you or Doc had this happen?

hey b, i'd just let it go....

....might be beating a dead horse on this one. but to answer your question, doc has been disarmed in public [st charles city actually] while going about his business....but had 2 friends and a camera present at the time as well.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

OC, you used something that's absolutely fitting.

DMZ

That could mean these:
Demilitarized Zone
Dead-Man-Zone
Done-with Maplewood Zone

And many more.

I'm very partial to the Dead-Man-Zone, especially since the Supreme Court ruled that LEOs have no legal duty to protect.

So when can we start shipping the State's criminals there? Sorry, I'm pretty passionate about this type of issue as it's my firm belief that the 1984 law granting this ability IS and WAS illegal when it was signed into law.

randyj

Wow!

OC for me,

You say.... "What other gig could you get where all you have to do is walk/drive around your entire shift, get paid to do it, be bored outta your mind and get the occasional free coffee and doughnut. Change a tire in the rain, go to a elementary school and talk about obeying the law to little kids who think breaking the law is getting grounded and "could you go and arrest my mommy for grounding me?", go to stupid and redundant OJT on sensitivity related issues during your off hours and otherwise wish for the weekend just like every other working stiff."

You may want to reconsider this comment. Yes....an LEO's daily routine may be mundane "most" days...it's that day when they choose to put their life on the line for you and me that we must always remember.

Just yesterday we had an incident about 2 minutes from my house where a LEO stopped a vehicle that resembled one that was used in a robbery. The LEO stepped out of his car, the suspect stepped out of his and IMMEDIATELY opened fire on the LEO.

The suspect died at the scene. I could very well imagine that LEO's day may have been just as mundane as you painted it in your comment ...and yep...had a pretty good gig going on...right up until someone tried to kill him.

I feel your comment was extremely shortsighted and thoughtless.

Festus_Hagen

OC for me,

You say.... "What other gig could you get where all you have to do is walk/drive around your entire shift, get paid to do it, be bored outta your mind and get the occasional free coffee and doughnut. Change a tire in the rain, go to a elementary school and talk about obeying the law to little kids who think breaking the law is getting grounded and "could you go and arrest my mommy for grounding me?", go to stupid and redundant OJT on sensitivity related issues during your off hours and otherwise wish for the weekend just like every other working stiff."

You may want to reconsider this comment. Yes....an LEO's daily routine may be mundane "most" days...it's that day when they choose to put their life on the line for you and me that we must always remember.

Just yesterday we had an incident about 2 minutes from my house where a LEO stopped a vehicle that resembled one that was used in a robbery. The LEO stepped out of his car, the suspect stepped out of his and IMMEDIATELY opened fire on the LEO.

The suspect died at the scene. I could very well imagine that LEO's day may have been just as mundane as you painted it in your comment ...and yep...had a pretty good gig going on...right up until someone tried to kill him.

I feel your comment was extremely shortsighted and thoughtless.

None of that matters around here. LEO are your enemy dontcha know? They just eat donuts and harass OC'ers for no reason. That's their job.

Please don't bring common sense into this thread. :lol:

Last edited: