• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can't Carry In Mcdonalds? Never seen this sign before?

blgreene89

Hey OCers,
Was wondering if you knew that you can no longer carry in Mcdonalds anymore at least in Ayden. I went throught the drive thru got a ice cream and they didn't give me apple dippers which I had order for my girlfriend. So I parked my truck got out put my coat on to conceal my handgun like always. (Being I am a have a vaild permit to CC) As I am walking to the door this sign catches my eye it has a gun in it with the censor mark and states no concealed handguns allowed. I saying to myself great now a 1 min trip inside has turned into a 3 min trip so I walked back to the truck and unholstered my weapon I was thinking really i've never seen that sign. Anyway just wanted to keep yall updated the sign is very small and right by the handles on the doors. I know there use to be a link online that someone had made where you can see where is/ and isn't carry friendly anyone still have that link?

Thanks,
Blake

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Next time you go by there post a pic of the sign. Maybe it allows some discretion. If it says 'no illegal handguns', for example, you having a permit can carry. If it says 'no concealed HG then you can open carry (until you get asked to leave).

I don't think, in the absence of a metal detector manned by LEOs I'd pay much attention to a sign. YMMV, depending on local and state statutes.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You unholstered and left your gun in the car for apple dippers? Those must have been some GOOD apples. :D

Seriously though, that is really strange. I haven't had any trouble at any McDonald's.

I think the website you are looking for is http://www.friendorfoe.us.

Last edited:

Carry24/7

There is one in Belmont that is posted with the same sign. I called the corporate office for that franchise and talked to some crazy woman. I posted it here a while back. Might be the same owners.

Baked on Grease

Next time you go by there post a pic of the sign. Maybe it allows some discretion. If it says 'no illegal handguns', for example, you having a permit can carry. If it says 'no concealed HG then you can open carry (until you get asked to leave).

I don't think, in the absence of a metal detector manned by LEOs I'd pay much attention to a sign. YMMV, depending on local and state statutes.

Agreed with Badger here, if it's concealded, how will they know? Also the wording of the sign really does make a difference.... at least to us as we laugh about the semantics of it, they can say it means whatever they want if there is no law relating what wordage the sign must have to be legal in your state.

I saw one that read "No guns on premises." So... Is that like a no cash on premises sign? Just letting the world know you don't have any but not restricting us from carrying.......cash.

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

spiderjohn

Hey OCers,
*snip*
so I walked back to the truck and unholstered my weapon I was thinking really i've never seen that sign. Anyway just wanted to keep yall updated the sign is very small and right by the handles on the doors. I know there use to be a link online that someone had made where you can see where is/ and isn't carry friendly anyone still have that link?

Thanks,
Blake

Why didn't you just OC? I wouldn't leave my weapon in the car just because you can't CC there.

spiderjohn

Agreed with Badger here, if it's concealded, how will they know? Also the wording of the sign really does make a difference.... at least to us as we laugh about the semantics of it, they can say it means whatever they want if there is no law relating what wordage the sign must have to be legal in your state.

I saw one that read "No guns on premises." So... Is that like a no cash on premises sign? Just letting the world know you don't have any but not restricting us from carrying.......cash.

Sent using tapatalk

Except, wouldn't you be breaking the law? Not that they would find out but if for some crazy reason they did and the law got involved then you'd risk losing your CHP, wouldn't you? I'm not all that familiar with CHP law but I think if it is posted no CC, then ya can't CC.

Badger Johnson

Sent using tapatalk

Just to be clear I don't promote anything but law abiding behavior, but to me, the stores have no business telling me I can't defend myself. It's not like saying 'no smoking around the oxygen tent at the hospital' where it's dangerous. It's just the store owner being stupid, which is, I suppose, his right. Generally I don't go into stores that are posted if I see the signs.

blgreene89

Except, wouldn't you be breaking the law? Not that they would find out but if for some crazy reason they did and the law got involved then you'd risk losing your CHP, wouldn't you? I'm not all that familiar with CHP law but I think if it is posted no CC, then ya can't CC.

Agreed with spiderjohn on this one. Not only would I be breaking the law, but its not ethical either and its not like I could use it if I had too because of the sign clearly states no concealed handguns. But the reason I don't open carry is because 1 I feel its a bad time of the year,2 at least if its concealed no one knows I am armed more than likely that helps me have an advantage. But however I have CCed for a year and 2 months and I can see why people OC that's because CC is too much work and aggravation. At least on this stick frame however I still continue to do it because I don't like leaving my gun anywhere unless I have too. And thank god for winter because it makes CC easier however this summer I am going to have to go to the idc method meaning idk if it shows or not.

But next time I go by there ill take a photo of the sign for yall.

Last edited:

smlawrence

We have the choice not to go to a business that does not allow us to carry our firearms. My favorite color is blue. If I go to a burger king that says "No Blue Shirts Allowed", then I would not go to that store knowing they didn't support what I want. We have to keep in mind that private property owners have the right to disallow anything they want on their property. Saying that they can't allow or disallow whatever they want takes away their rights as the owner of that property. Being respectful to them and attempting to educate them is our best shot of getting them to change their policies. IMO

I don't allow illegal drugs on my property, some of my friends that smoke weed don't like it but they abide by my rules if they want to come to my house. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

AZkopper

At least here in AZ, as a corporate policy, McD's doesn't ban weapons. As you may or may not know, AZ has Constitutional Carry, so whether it's OC or CC, there is no permit requirement. I've been to more McD's than I should have here, and the only McD's I've ever seen that banned weapons was in Wickenburg. That sign popped up one day on the front door (the classic gun, red circle with the line through it, with the words 'no weapons'). I'm pretty sure the sign disappeared as quickly and quietly as it came.

I'd call corporate, and see if it is permissable for franchise holders to ban weapons when they are legal in your state/city. It very may well be a franchisee's personal thing.

blgreene89

We have the choice not to go to a business that does not allow us to carry our firearms. My favorite color is blue. If I go to a burger king that says "No Blue Shirts Allowed", then I would not go to that store knowing they didn't support what I want. We have to keep in mind that private property owners have the right to disallow anything they want on their property. Saying that they can't allow or disallow whatever they want takes away their rights as the owner of that property. Being respectful to them and attempting to educate them is our best shot of getting them to change their policies. IMO

I don't allow illegal drugs on my property, some of my friends that smoke weed don't like it but they abide by my rules if they want to come to my house. Just my 2 cents worth.

I tottally agree with you. However I do make compromises for my girlfriend from time to time. You guys are so nice up here on this forum and I appreciate the opportunity to talk with gun owners who excerise their rights and know the law. Do y'all know any conceal carry forums? Because I haven't been able to find any goods ones this one is by far the best in my opinion even Thoe its OC it has nice people and that's what makes a great forum!

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

For blgreen89: We carry both ways over on NC Gun Owners. http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/
A dedicated CC forum is http://www.defensivecarry.com/index.php

Haven't seen McD signs yet in Fayetteville. Although the city council did not simply go along with new state law about parks, at least they haven't tried (yet) to make entire parks off limits to CC. Waffle house, by and large, is gun unfriendly (I understand there's one in Skyland that's not posted). WalMart, Food Lion, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wells Fargo remain friendly. Also my dentist and VisionWorks Eyewear (They're hunters, bikers, and shooters). :D

papa bear

personally i OC in MCD's all the time and have even been thanked for it. can't stand McD's food, but my Gks love it and they like the playground. i will actualy get something from somewhere else and take it there. so far no one has said anything about that.

i know this is splitting hairs, but there is no laws in NC saying you can't carry in a place that is posted. it only says that a private business can ask you to leave and if you don't you can be charged with trespass. no gun law violations. of course, if they have to call LE, they could charge you with GATtTotP (never know if i get that acronym right)

spiderjohn

i know this is splitting hairs, but there is no laws in NC saying you can't carry in a place that is posted. it only says that a private business can ask you to leave and if you don't you can be charged with trespass. no gun law violations. of course, if they have to call LE, they could charge you with GATtTotP (never know if i get that acronym right)

Here is the actual law...I think there is one :eek: The bold was done by me.

G.S. 14-415.11 - Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
[Changes in current law effective December 1, 2011].
(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14.269.2 (EDUCATIONAL PROPERTY), 14-269.3 (ANY ESTABLISHMENT WHERE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE SOLD AND CONSUMED & ASSEMBLIES WHERE ADMISSION IS CHARGED), and 14.277.2 (PARADES, PICKET LINES, DEMONSTRATIONS AT PRIVATE HEALTH CARE FACILITIES).
(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.4 (WEAPONS ON CERTAIN STATE PROPERTY AND IN COURTHOUSES) except as allowed under G.S. 14-269.4(6) (LOCKED IN A VEHICLE IN A CLOSED COMPARTMENT OR CONTAINER).
(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120-32.1(LEGISLATIVE BUILDING & OFFICES).
(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law. (FEDERAL PROPERTY).
(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.
(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.
(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises

And I think this pertains to penalties and again I did the bolding:

14-415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction and a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14-415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction for the first offense and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14-3.1. In lieu of paying a fine for the first offense, the person may surrender the permit. Subsequent offenses for failing to carry a valid permit or
NC General Statutes - Chapter 14 Article 54B 9
for failing to make the necessary disclosures to a law enforcement officer as required by G.S. 14-415.11 shall be punished in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.
(b) A person who violates the provisions of this Article other than as set forth in subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1995, c. 398, s. 1

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

Here is the actual law...I think there is one :eek: The bold was done by me.

G.S. 14-415.11 - Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
[Changes in current law effective December 1, 2011].
(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14.269.2 (EDUCATIONAL PROPERTY), 14-269.3 (ANY ESTABLISHMENT WHERE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE SOLD AND CONSUMED & ASSEMBLIES WHERE ADMISSION IS CHARGED), and 14.277.2 (PARADES, PICKET LINES, DEMONSTRATIONS AT PRIVATE HEALTH CARE FACILITIES).
(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.4 (WEAPONS ON CERTAIN STATE PROPERTY AND IN COURTHOUSES) except as allowed under G.S. 14-269.4(6) (LOCKED IN A VEHICLE IN A CLOSED COMPARTMENT OR CONTAINER).
(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120-32.1(LEGISLATIVE BUILDING & OFFICES).
(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law. (FEDERAL PROPERTY).
(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.
(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.
(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises

And I think this pertains to penalties and again I did the bolding:

14-415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction and a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14-415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction for the first offense and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14-3.1. In lieu of paying a fine for the first offense, the person may surrender the permit. Subsequent offenses for failing to carry a valid permit or
NC General Statutes - Chapter 14 Article 54B 9
for failing to make the necessary disclosures to a law enforcement officer as required by G.S. 14-415.11 shall be punished in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.
(b) A person who violates the provisions of this Article other than as set forth in subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1995, c. 398, s. 1

But once again, as long as you're Open Carrying, you're good :)

Jones

its not like I could use it if I had too because of the sign clearly states no concealed handguns.

You're joking, right? Some crazyed nut walks in and starts blazing away, corpses falling all over the floor and you wouldn't draw your piece and dispatch him because you're afraid of comitting a misdemeanor?? Man, they got you brainwashed really good, don't they?

REDFIVE48

You're joking, right? Some crazyed nut walks in and starts blazing away, corpses falling all over the floor and you wouldn't draw your piece and dispatch him because you're afraid of comitting a misdemeanor?? Man, they got you brainwashed really good, don't they?

Am guessing the original OP was using a bit of sarcasm, need a little sarcasm smiley don't we . . .