• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart and Beer Sales, NO GUNS ??

rob31567

Was just at the Catlettsburg Walmart and one of the employees warned me that carrying OC or Concealed at the Ashland Walmart is prohibited because they sell beer there. Does anyone have any info on that Walmart and do they prohibit carrying in that store? I maybe wrong, but wouldnt that fall under the restaurants rule? Just looking for some good advice on this to maybe save some embarrassement by tryin to walk in carrying.

flb_78

The employee is wrong. You can carry there. I've carried into a liquor store before. It's not against the law since the alcohol being sold is not for on-site consumption.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It should be mentioned that you can carry in establishments that serve alcohol by THE DRINK, openly or concealed, and loaded, as long as that establishment derives at least 51% of it's income from the sale of food.

Next time ask what statute says you can't do so. I always enjoy watching people squirm when they have no idea what they are speaking about.

09jisaac

It should be mentioned that you can carry in establishments that serve alcohol by THE DRINK, openly or concealed, and loaded, as long as that establishment derives at least 51% of it's income from the sale of food.

Next time ask what statute says you can't do so. I always enjoy watching people squirm when they have no idea what they are speaking about.

It is over 50%, not at least 51%. Some will call it splitting hairs but their is a measurable difference.

But everything else is right. You can legally carry a firearm in a place that sales alcohol if it is sold for off-site consumption. You can carry, open/concealed loaded/unloaded, in a place that sales alcohol for on site consumption if it makes more than 50% on FOOD (nothing else is mentioned in the KRS) if it has seating for at least 50 people. And you can carry in a place that sales alcohol by the drink that is not considered a restaurant but it has to be unloaded and cannot be concealed.