• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with MACE

NAVYBLUE

My LIBERAL, PhD educated SIL in the Peoples Republic of MURDERLAND(MD) is asking me about MACE. I told him I would check with you guys as I don't anything about MACE because I have a GUN. He has a harassing(manic depressive) neighbor who has left letters about barking dogs(occasionally) and wants MACE for him and my daughter. It's legal in MD.

On a side note, I just found out on MD's OCDO site that the United States District Court has ruled that Maryland's requirement that you have to provide a "valid and substantial reason" to be issued a CCW is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Got to love the Founding Father's. That are so much smarter than the average liberal politician. They got over 1,000 permit applications in the first week

So any advice on MACE would be appreciated and any that have a safety device to prevent accidental discharge would be helpful. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

NAVYBLUE

ManInBlack

From your description, it seems that the potential threat is likely to come to the home. Mace is possibly the worst home-defense weapon I can imagine. An untrained person who is startled awake, in the dark, is very unlikely to be able to deploy it effectively (especially if he is a limp-wristed, effete, ivory tower-type of individual). Even if he does deploy it at the intruder, in the close-in spaces of a home, there is a good chance he will expose himself, and be in the position of having to wrestle with a pissed off bad guy on the floor.

Of course, all of that assumes the bad guy doesn't have a more effective weapon of his own, like a GUN!

In my opinion, you would be better off bringing your son-in-law one of these:

[video=youtube_share;FnjdHiF9DM4]http://youtu.be/FnjdHiF9DM4[/video]

The Big Guy

Wait! He's an eastern Lib and he thinks he has to provide for his own defense? You're saying he thinks a phone in his hand as he dials 911 and he shouts "I'm calling the police" isn't enough to scare the bad guy away? I'm shocked.

TBG

Last edited:

Limedust

Wait! He's an eastern Lib and he thinks he has to provide for his own defense? You're saying he thinks a phone in his hand as he dials 911 and he shouts "I'm calling the police" isn't enough to scare the bad guy away? I'm shocked.

TBG

There are a few of us around.

NAVYBLUE

From your description, it seems that the potential threat is likely to come to the home. Mace is possibly the worst home-defense weapon I can imagine. An untrained person who is startled awake, in the dark, is very unlikely to be able to deploy it effectively (especially if he is a limp-wristed, effete, ivory tower-type of individual). Even if he does deploy it at the intruder, in the close-in spaces of a home, there is a good chance he will expose himself, and be in the position of having to wrestle with a pissed off bad guy on the floor.

Of course, all of that assumes the bad guy doesn't have a more effective weapon of his own, like a GUN!

In my opinion, you would be better off bringing your son-in-law one of these:

[video=youtube_share;FnjdHiF9DM4]http://youtu.be/FnjdHiF9DM4[/video]

MIB,

The MACE is unfortunately his only option because he will never have a gun in the house. He even thinks I should have a gun lock on my S&W model 442 38SPL. I tried to explain to him that fumbling with a key and a lock, at night, hyped up and having your finger near the trigger of loaded gun as you try to wrestle the lock out is not smart or safe. So we are stuck with MACE

NAVYBLUE

mbogo470

My first choice for non-lethal protection would be a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with alternating rounds of rubber buckshot and rubber slugs.

Since your SIL is anti-gunner, he may be happy with my second choice, a pepper ball gun. They would have the advantage of distance between themselves and their assailant.

If your SIL objects to even a paintball gun, pepper spray and a large (rented) guard dog would be my third choice. The dog also makes an excellent deterrent; while their neighbor might have your daughter and SIL intimidated, he probably cannot scare off a guard dog.

I know your SIL is probably a disappointment to you, but your daughter lives in that house and so they need a means of protection until the cops (eventually) arrive.

mbogo

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
How about a Taser? I understand they are illegal in some counties in MD, but if the person lives in a place where they are legal it sounds like a better option than mace. Taser's are much more effective, it seems to me, then a chemical spray that military and police are trained to overcome. If they can overcome it, so can an attacker. If you can get both of the prongs of the taser into an opponent, it cannot be brushed off.

Last edited:

NAVYBLUE

My first choice for non-lethal protection would be a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with alternating rounds of rubber buckshot and rubber slugs.

Since your SIL is anti-gunner, he may be happy with my second choice, a pepper ball gun. They would have the advantage of distance between themselves and their assailant.

If your SIL objects to even a paintball gun, pepper spray and a large (rented) guard dog would be my third choice. The dog also makes an excellent deterrent; while their neighbor might have your daughter and SIL intimidated, he probably cannot scare off a guard dog.

I know your SIL is probably a disappointment to you, but your daughter lives in that house and so they need a means of protection until the cops (eventually) arrive.

mbogo

He's dead set on MACE only !!!

NAVYBLUE

Steve Larson

Hi NAVYBLUE... I don't think you are going to get the answers you want on this forum as everyone here is all about the "gun" ... well, it IS a gun forum afterall... But, to answer your question as best as I can... I do have some training and dealings in OC spray (mace) both in a security role, and in an EMS (paramedic) role...

first.. for what your SIL wants (mostly to feel like he is protected), any store bought spray will do the job. He just has to pick the size of canister and method of holster/belt carry he wants.

First and a half... He must shake the canister immediately before deploying it, as the ingredients (spray and the propellent) sometimes separate, resulting in lots of noise, but not a lot of actual chemical.

secondly... just so he knows.. 1/3 of the population is not affected by the spray.. Anyone with pepper/curry as a large part of their diet has the main ingredients in their tear ducts and system already, (East India, Many African ethnic groups, etc) plus some people just don't get affected by it...

thirdly... MACE/Pepper spray does not actually stop an attacker that is charging. Its main purpose is to temporarily blind/distract the attacker, but if the attacker is already charging, your SIL needs to spray and run.

Fourthly... DO NOT TEST THE SPRAY after it is purchased... just have to trust it will work when needed... if he tries a quick spray, then puts it away, it will bleed off the propellent and be useless when he needs it.

Fifthly? is that a word? when your SIL or his family does eventually get the spray in their own eyes, they can use baby shampoo to get it out.. that and lots of water... or in a pinch, milk also sometimes works... I carry a small bottle of baby shampoo and a water bottle in my lunch kit when working armoured car, because a lot of time that is what we are attacked with in Canada.

I hope this helps.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
The MACE is unfortunately his only option because he will never have a gun in the house.

So, he understands that he needs to provide for his own defense, but chooses to use a less-effective -- but still potentially lethal -- means to do so?

That's like wearing a papier-mache helmet while playing football.

If it were my friend, I would bluntly tell him that I wouldn't help, because he will THINK that he has a defense when he doesn't, and that can get him killed. He is better off KNOWING that he is defenseless than to waste time playing with that silly little perfume sprayer full of taco sauce.