• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my Michigan CPL

fire suppressor

After four months of hard work and close to $300 dollars in miscellaneous fees as of today I am the new proud owner of a Michigan state CPL! I had my gun board last week and it was no big deal. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. There was a brief discussion from one person on the board who was concerned I did not yet meet the required six months of established residency but the other three board members stuck up for me quoting a exception for people with previous CPLs.

I walked into the county clerks office today and they laminated my new CPL in front of me. As much as a hassle as this process was at time I am thrilled now that I have it. Even though I am a huge open carry advocate I have been unable to carry at all the last week or two due to the weather for me being in the single digits. Like it or not there are some parts of the year when you are forced to cover up. That with the benefit of being able to carry in my vehicle and I am happy, happy to get back to a normal life where I no longer have to leave my gun at home.

This was a expensive CPL to get but in terms of reciprocity it is also one of the best one in the country. It will definitely open up a lot of doors when traveling. I have kept you all updated to this point so I just wanted to share the good news with everyone!

Ezerharden

Congratulations on your CPL. Just some advice, keep rereading the laws for CC and OC with a CPL to avoid getting jammed up. I am sure if you have any questions many here will respond.

Sheldon

MI CPL 356,820 strong and growing you are in good company ;-)

states where you are good to go from http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

michigan_map.t.gif

Now National Reciprocity needs to be next :)

Last edited:

Sheldon

Good to know the renewal process is easier

Yeah my first renewals were almost as bad as the original license, file paperwork pay fee, several weeks later sent notice of meeting, go to meeting, stand before gun board, swear that my statements were true and nothing had changed, get permit, pay 2 bucks to seal it in plastic.... 2 hours later go home...

Now it's go fill the paperwork, pay the fee, get fingerprinted, (they take the photo now too), 15 minutes later go home and in a few weeks it shows in the mail.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Yeah my first renewals were almost as bad as the original license, file paperwork pay fee, several weeks later sent notice of meeting, go to meeting, stand before gun board, swear that my statements were true and nothing had changed, get permit, pay 2 bucks to seal it in plastic.... 2 hours later go home...

Now it's go fill the paperwork, pay the fee, get fingerprinted, (they take the photo now too), 15 minutes later go home and in a few weeks it shows in the mail.

You have to get fingerprinted again!? They are already on file and they do not change. Must just be another way to make money

mirussell

you only have to be finger printed again if the first time was on the paper finger print card. If you were fringer printed electronically no need to be re finger printed

Sheldon

you only have to be finger printed again if the first time was on the paper finger print card. If you were fringer printed electronically no need to be re finger printed

All renewals in Calhoun County you go for the electronic fingerprint, PERIOD, same building, 3 minutes travel on foot. It's part of the background check which they do each renewall....

Took my son last fall to renew his, n yep he had to get fingerprinted... no additional fees is involved...

I'm betting it's not just here either.... Once you do that you return to the clerk and give them the completed form and in about 2 weeks you check your mail...

Last edited:

cm2624

Your new one shouldn't take effect until the day after your old one expires, right?

You are correct. I was worried because the old one had the 180 day extension starting almost 2 weeks after my birthday and was told that I could not conceal carry during that time period. I did not want to go even one day without my CPL. Next time I will renew it sooner then I did this time. I just looked at my CPL and the issue date is on my birthday this year and the expiration is 5 years later on my birthday. I guess I will continue to also carry the old one for a few days after the issue date of the new one, just to be safe.

Last edited:

mirussell

All renewals in Calhoun County you go for the electronic fingerprint, PERIOD, same building, 3 minutes travel on foot. It's part of the background check which they do each renewall....

Took my son last fall to renew his, n yep he had to get fingerprinted... no additional fees is involved...

I'm betting it's not just here either.... Once you do that you return to the clerk and give them the completed form and in about 2 weeks you check your mail...

this is from the msp site

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10955--,00.html

Beginning January 1, 2007, an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license is not required to have fingerprints taken again if the applicant's fingerprints have been submitted to and maintained by the Department of State Police for on-going comparison with the automated fingerprint comparison system. The Department of State Police began storing applicant fingerprints on January 1, 2006. Therefore, an applicant is not exempt from this requirement unless the last time fingerprints were submitted was after January 1, 2006.