• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a Distillery Tour

Flounder

Has anyone here carried while at a distillery while taking a tour? I've done the tours but didnt carry at the time. I dont remember seeing any signs that mention firearms, but I wasn't looking.

langzaiguy

Hmm, dunno how successful you'd be. Depending on their licensure, there's a slight chance they're designated as a bar as they serve samples.

DrakeZ07

Hmm, dunno how successful you'd be. Depending on their licensure, there's a slight chance they're designated as a bar as they serve samples.

Dunno how that'd have any effect on carrying, even if they are classified as a bar you could still carry unloaded with a mag in a mag pouch.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The ABC licences are only for a very controlled area in the visitor center usually. So I assume on the tour would be fine, if one just skips the samplers.

If they are licensed to dispense then the ENTIRE area is off-limits unless you carry unloaded and openly. Even if they are only giving samples in one small area, by definition of the law the entire premises is considered to apply, as long as the entire premises is owned or leased by the same individual or company that applied for the license to dispense.

Whenever the KRS page isn't down I will post the statute concerning this very topic.

Bottom-line is the entire place is off-limits unless you carry openly and unloaded. This does not apply if you are a peace officer or other exempted person under KRS 527.020.

Flounder

If they are licensed to dispense then the ENTIRE area is off-limits unless you carry unloaded and openly. Even if they are only giving samples in one small area, by definition of the law the entire premises is considered to apply, as long as the entire premises is owned or leased by the same individual or company that applied for the license to dispense.

Whenever the KRS page isn't down I will post the statute concerning this very topic.

Bottom-line is the entire place is off-limits unless you carry openly and unloaded. This does not apply if you are a peace officer or other exempted person under KRS 527.020.

The Entire distillery? Even if they are separate buildings?

09jisaac

The Entire distillery? Even if they are separate buildings?

You can carry loaded on the premises licensed to sell Alcohol as long as you aren't in the specific room where it is being SOLD by the drink. You can be in there if it is free samples. You can even sample it, but I would advise against this.

I have typed this message a bunch.

Full law can be found here.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You can carry loaded on the premises licensed to sell Alcohol as long as you aren't in the specific room where it is being SOLD by the drink. You can be in there if it is free samples. You can even sample it, but I would advise against this.

I have typed this message a bunch.

Full law can be found here.

You are absolutely right.

I don't know what I was doing when I posted that information but I must have just got off of a stressful midnight shift or something. Maybe I was thinking about a different thread, but even then I would have been incorrect.

You CAN carry in a distillery as long as you do NOT carry in the portion that is actually serving alcohol.

09jisaac

I don't know what I was doing when I posted that information but I must have just got off of a stressful midnight shift or something. Maybe I was thinking about a different thread, but even then I would have been incorrect.

It is quite alright Glockster. You made a mistake trying to help and then came back to admit your fault.

Nobody is perfect.

DrakeZ07

You CAN carry in a distillery as long as you do NOT carry in the portion that is actually serving alcohol.

Oh really? Perhaps you need to carefully re-read KRS 244.125; But then again, it's not important for you cops to know the laws that you enforce... that's the C.A.'s job. RIGHT?!

KRS 244.125 Prohibition against possession of loaded firearm in room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink.

http://162.114.4.35/statutes/statute.aspx?id=40574

He can still carry UNLOADED into any place that sells alcohol by the drink. Providing the owner has no problem with it. Like how I always OC unloaded, but have a quick access mag on the side of my holster, when I go to my favorite LGBT bar and club. The manager and "Staff" are on [VERY] friendly terms with me and don't mind it at all.

Funny thing, there is no law or statue regarding carrying of a firearm, loaded or unloaded, in a place where alcohol is served by the drink for free, or as samples, but not sold. And laws are meant to tell us citizens what we CANNOT do. So, take it as free reign.

Don't listen to what a cop tells you regarding firearms, no matter if he's a friend, a foe, or an Open Carrier. A cop is still a cop. Never trust any of them, or their word. Research on your own, consult an attorney, keep documents on you regarding the relevant laws and statues. Remember, the police are -not- citizen advocates.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Don't listen to what a cop tells you, no matter if he's a friend, a foe, or an Open Carrier. A cop is still a cop.

I think you meant: Don't trust anybody solely because of their status or job position.

I don't think I would blindly trust a plumber on OC advice either, it has nothing to do with his/her job.

flb_78

Why does it matter where they are serving the free samples?

If they're not licensed as a bar, it doesn't matter. I would assume that they have the same license as a liquor store would have so they can sell sealed bottles and offer free samples.

BUT, Im not sure, don't take my advise. Call the distillery and ask what kind of alcohol license they have in their store area.

langzaiguy

FLB--I want to say there are a dozen or two of different kinds of liquor licenses in KY. To me, it would be like playing Russian Roulette and I wouldn't risk it.

09jisaac

FLB--I want to say there are a dozen or two of different kinds of liquor licenses in KY. To me, it would be like playing Russian Roulette and I wouldn't risk it.

It does not matter what kind of license they have if they are not selling the alcohol by the drink out of that particular room at that time to be consumed on the property.

dan_c012

I OCed at the Maker's Mark distillery a few weeks back now. Not a word was said to me by anyone. Got no strange looks. Just a normal day.

I don't know about other distilleries but Maker's Mark does not sell by the drink there. They sell by the bottle like a liqueur store. I did jokingly ask if there was a bar area and was told they are not allowed to sell by the drink.

On a side note I bought a bottle of Makers Mark White and dipped it in the wax my self. So cool.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Every time this thread moves up the list and into view, I get thirsty.

Threads like this should have a reverse sticky feature--they're hidden until 6:00pm.

:D