• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Thought Looking Forward

nuc65

Activist Member
So I know that it might be a stretch for the OC forum. However, I'll write and let the chips fly. Lately a lot of focus has come about with the license plate scanners that the cops use as they drive around. I learned last night that the Lynchburg police have a couple of these cars and that they just drive around and record. The interesting and disturbing part is that they keep all the information. Other departments claim to delete it. Nope, not here. They say since there aren't really any rules they haven't decided to anything with it so they just save it. All of it. Now these systems are tied with the crime database and as a result they LPD now probably has a very active maintained database of where all the CHP holders are and where they were. Some here might scoff and say never, but think about NSA and the never spy on Americans. Think about that most VA congressman voted against limiting the power of the federal govt to spy on the people. Now on a state level we need legislation to forbid this practice. NO good can come of it. Instead when martial law is declared for whatever reason, the first door the army/militarized police/ national guard knocks on it the one where a CHP holder has been.

There is an AG opinion on it, not very strong. (Sorry don't have the link) But as we know the AG opinion usually counts for the paper it is written on. Like I said LPD collects and saves ALL its information whether a crime has been committed or not, you are flagged automatically if you have a CHP or oher entry in the database. Other departments I don't know about.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So I know that it might be a stretch for the OC forum. However, I'll write and let the chips fly. Lately a lot of focus has come about with the license plate scanners that the cops use as they drive around. I learned last night that the Lynchburg police have a couple of these cars and that they just drive around and record. The interesting and disturbing part is that they keep all the information. Other departments claim to delete it. Nope, not here. They say since there aren't really any rules they haven't decided to anything with it so they just save it. All of it. Now these systems are tied with the crime database and as a result they LPD now probably has a very active maintained database of where all the CHP holders are and where they were. Some here might scoff and say never, but think about NSA and the never spy on Americans. Think about that most VA congressman voted against limiting the power of the federal govt to spy on the people. Now on a state level we need legislation to forbid this practice. NO good can come of it. Instead when martial law is declared for whatever reason, the first door the army/militarized police/ national guard knocks on it the one where a CHP holder has been.

There is an AG opinion on it, not very strong. (Sorry don't have the link) But as we know the AG opinion usually counts for the paper it is written on. Like I said LPD collects and saves ALL its information whether a crime has been committed or not, you are flagged automatically if you have a CHP or oher entry in the database. Other departments I don't know about.

I'm glad you brought it up Nuc and IMO it is relevant here as long as it stays away from armed revolt.
Databases like that can easily be combined with contact sheets and observations to track OC'ers.

An AG opinion is only based on existing law and as you pointed out, are worthless except to cut your research time.

That's another reason I like Cuccinelli. He has opposed everything like that from the beginning.

There is a lot of BS about his opinions but he doesn't make laws anymore, he just does reviews and opinions. As Governor, he would be in a position to male a difference.

BUT

WE need to ask him pointed questions and ask the same questions of anyone running for office.

There are a world of issues that are facing us out there. Guns are a good litmus test of a candidate but we need to find where the wind's blowing with ALL the problems at hand.... and hold their feet to the fire after they're elected.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
There is a lot of BS about his opinions but he doesn't make laws anymore, he just does reviews and opinions. As Governor, he would be in a position to male a difference.
In the midst of a serious subject appears an interesting typo (Freudian slip?)

No doubt but that Jeannemarie Devolites-Davis wouldn't measure up :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sigh....another senior day:(

I'm certainly not having any less of them myself.

Found my missing phone just as I was preparing to leave to buy another one. Where was it? In the last place I would look :uhoh: :p

During the search, I found my favorite flashlight after months of hide and seek - had put it in my always with me, "essentials bag" so that I would know where it was.

People have asked me why I have multiple carry permits - they are to substantiate for me who my driving license says I am.......can't be too careful, trust but confirm :lol: