• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this information correct? (CHP)

R027

WHAT TO DO IF STOPPED BY A POLICE OFFICER

• Immediately advise the officer that you have a concealed firearm.
  • Never touch or move towards the gun.
  • Keep your hands in plain view and make no sudden moves.
  • Obey all commands given by the officer.
  • Make no attempt to produce identification until told to do so.
  • Ask the officer to repeat any directions or questions that are unclear.

http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/police/Pages/Concealed-Weapon-Information.aspx

I have read that VA doesn't require you to inform unless asked to. Which is correct?

Blk97F150

http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/police/Pages/Concealed-Weapon-Information.aspx

I have read that VA doesn't require you to inform unless asked to. Which is correct?

From Virginia Code:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.01

The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Btw, I find this statement on the PWC site (linked above) particularly repulsive. Lawfully carrying a firearm is not a 'privilege'... its a Right (as in 'Bill of Rights').

With the privilege of carrying a concealed firearm in Virginia come certain responsibilities especially when interacting with police officers.

Blk97F150

And.... on this page:
http://www.pwcgov.org/government/courts/circuit/Pages/Concealed-Handgun-Permit.aspx

Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope or $.50 to cover the cost of mailing.
You are not required to provide them with an envelope, or additional funds for mailing.

Please print out and include the initialed worksheet with your application.
You are not required to print out and include their 'worksheet'.

A decision will be made within 45 days of receipt of application.
There is no 'decision'. They are not deciding if you can have one or not. You either meet the eligibility criteria, or you don't. There is nothing to 'decide'.

There is probably more as well....

t33j

Btw, I find this statement on the PWC site (linked above) particularly repulsive. Lawfully carrying a firearm is not a 'privilege'... its a Right (as in 'Bill of Rights').

With the privilege of carrying a concealed firearm in Virginia come certain responsibilities especially when interacting with police officers.

Unfortunately I have to disagree, as they have qualified their statement with, "concealed". Carrying a conceled firearm is a violation of state law unless one has obtained a permit to break the law.

Since nobody has directly answered your question yet:
One is not required to inform a police officer in Virginia, and I will never do so myself if I happen to be carrying concealed as it's just asking for more headache.

Maverick9

Unfortunately I have to disagree, as they have qualified their statement with, "concealed". Carrying a conceled firearm is a violation of state law unless one has obtained a permit to break the law.

Since nobody has directly answered your question yet:
One is not required to inform a police officer in Virginia, and I will never do so myself if I happen to be carrying concealed as it's just asking for more headache.

There's more. One is only required to inform:
1. On demand by...
2. If carrying a firearm concealed.

This would imply that if there is no demand, you could say 'I'd rather not, but I do have one if you demand it'. In my research, only about 1 in 5 State police will even bother asking you about it. (There's a reason for this...)

Most of the time they will not be that concerned, and do not want you digging around for your permit. (There's a reason for this...)

Some have alleged they do not ask to see it because they've already seen it and read it and want to get you to talk about your tool and its location, though they can't demand that you disclose unless there's clear RAS you are doing or about to do a crime (a felony).

If you are NOT carrying you do not have to answer. In fact in a classic traffic stop you can, even should do nothing but give your license, registration and PoI. It's so easy a 'deaf/mute' driver could do it. They might ask to see your seeing-eye range dog, hah.

HTH/YMMV

Last edited:

t33j

1. On demand by...

I should have said so, but from the OPs post I was under the assumption that he knew one must be asked in order to be required to inform.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
1. On demand by...

This would imply that if there is no demand, you could say 'I'd rather not, but I do have one if you demand it'. In my research, only about 1 in 5 State police will even bother asking you about it. (There's a reason for this...)

Most of the time they will not be that concerned, and do not want you digging around for your permit. (There's a reason for this...)

Some have alleged they do not ask to see it because they've already seen it and read it and want to get you to talk about your tool and its location, though they can't demand that you disclose unless there's clear RAS you are doing or about to do a crime (a felony).

If you are NOT carrying you do not have to answer. In fact in a classic traffic stop you can, even should do nothing but give your license, registration and PoI. It's so easy a 'deaf/mute' driver could do it. They might ask to see your seeing-eye range dog, hah.

HTH/YMMV

You do not have to provide proof of insurance in Virginia*. In fact, you don't even have to have insurance. If you don't, an additional charge is added to your registration application which does not provide insurance for you.

* corrections invited if in error

FBrinson

You do not have to provide proof of insurance in Virginia*. In fact, you don't even have to have insurance. If you don't, an additional charge is added to your registration application which does not provide insurance for you.

Have fun with that SR-22 :eek:

Cite:
Penalties
Vehicle owners who are uninsured or have not paid the UMV fee will have their driving and vehicle registration privileges suspended. To be reinstated, they must pay a $500 statutory fee, file a Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (SR-22) with DMV for three years, and pay a reinstatement fee, if applicable.
Verification of Insurance Coverage
DMV monitors insurance coverage through our Insurance Verification Program.
Insurance carriers provide DMV with electronic updates of insured information and vehicle description when they cancel, add and write new coverage for motor vehicles registered in Virginia.
DMV verifies that motor vehicles are properly insured by comparing vehicle registration information on file at DMV with liability information transmitted by insurance carriers. When no insurance is found, the motor vehicle owner is required to furnish policy information to DMV for verification.
If you have received an Insurance Verification Inquiry letter from DMV requesting information about your insurance policy, you may submit that information online.
Additional Information

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I was trying to figure what the hel POI was.:uhoh: I guess I could show my checkbook if asked.:banana:

optiksguy

This is my understanding as well. I recall a story a year or so back about LEO writing citations for lack of insurance based on a misreading of Section 46.2-902.1.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-902.1

mpguy

Yes you must have insurance in Virginia to drive. The other option is pay the uninsured motorist fee which I believe is $400. DMV checks periodically, to see if your insurance is current through the computer system. If you're flagged, a letter is sent warning you, and you are given x number of days to comply. They even give you a insurance form to update you info.

Failure to respond to the letter is $85, plus the $500 fine.

I've never been asked to show proof of insurance, but I've notice more people mentioning of cops asking for it lately.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I appreciate the correction, which is why I flagged that as such, regarding what I posted above about insurance in Virginia. It was once that way as I remember and since I rarely ever get stopped (last stop in Virginia for a moving violation was in 1966), I am somewhat out of date with my info. Hell, I don't even know how "points" work.

mpguy

I appreciate the correction, which is why I flagged that as such, regarding what I posted above about insurance in Virginia. It was once that way as I remember and since I rarely ever get stopped (last stop in Virginia for a moving violation was in 1966), I am somewhat out of date with my info. Hell, I don't even know how "points" work.

I'm younger my friend, and neither do I! :D. I can count on one hand in, less than three fingers, that I've been stopped. I plan to keep it that way. *knock on wood*

SouthernBoy

I'm younger my friend, and neither do I! :D. I can count on one hand in, less than three fingers, that I've been stopped. I plan to keep it that way. *knock on wood*

Funny isn't it, that when you tell people that they don't tend to believe you. They look at you as if to say, "Yeah, right". I have been stopped three times since 1966. Once for speeding in Maryland, which that time I was not doing what the LEO said, once because a Fairfax LEO saw no county sticker on my car (we didn't use them where I lived at the time), and once by a state police LEO who I am certain was in training (there were two in the car. Neither the Fairfax LEO nor the state police issued any citations of any kind (Fairfax LEO couldn't because I didn't need a sticker where I lived - we were issued a small metal license plate like was common in the 60's which went on the front state plate).

So yes September 1966 was the last moving violation I received in Virginia. My goal is to keep it that way the rest of my life, regardless of the state. This is not to say I drive like the proverbial old lady by any stretch. I'm just careful and watch what the heck is going on around me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Funny isn't it, that when you tell people that they don't tend to believe you. They look at you as if to say, "Yeah, right". I have been stopped three times since 1966. Once for speeding in Maryland, which that time I was not doing what the LEO said, once because a Fairfax LEO saw no county sticker on my car (we didn't use them where I lived at the time), and once by a state police LEO who I am certain was in training (there were two in the car. Neither the Fairfax LEO nor the state police issued any citations of any kind (Fairfax LEO couldn't because I didn't need a sticker where I lived - we were issued a small metal license plate like was common in the 60's which went on the front state plate).

So yes September 1966 was the last moving violation I received in Virginia. My goal is to keep it that way the rest of my life, regardless of the state. This is not to say I drive like the proverbial old lady by any stretch. I'm just careful and watch what the heck is going on around me.

I've never gotten a moving violation but I did get a ticket for a dead inspection the other day. He asked for license and registration which I gave him, then he asked where I was going and I told him to mind his own business....then he wrote the ticket:uhoh:

Never mentioned Insurance or the gun next to me.

mpguy

I've never gotten a moving violation but I did get a ticket for a dead inspection the other day. He asked for license and registration which I gave him, then he asked where I was going and I told him to mind his own business....then he wrote the ticket:uhoh:

Lmao

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

My hero! :)

I would be inclined to include a nice note with the check saying, "Please find enclosed a check in payment for my contempt-of-cop citation."

Nap's situation is a little like being stopped for a burned out brake light. If the cop was really all that interested in safety, all he'd have to do is say, "Mr. Driver, your brake light is burned out. I need you to fix that by the day after tomorrow. I'm writing down your license number; and if I see its still burned out, I'm gonna have to write you a ticket." Similar for Nap. If the cop was all that interested in safety, he could give a similar warning. The contempt-of-cop angle is too easy to demonstrate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My hero! :)

I would be inclined to include a nice note with the check saying, "Please find enclosed a check in payment for my contempt-of-cop citation."

Nap's situation is a little like being stopped for a burned out brake light. If the cop was really all that interested in safety, all he'd have to do is say, "Mr. Driver, your brake light is burned out. I need you to fix that by the day after tomorrow. I'm writing down your license number; and if I see its still burned out, I'm gonna have to write you a ticket." Similar for Nap. If the cop was all that interested in safety, he could give a similar warning. The contempt-of-cop angle is too easy to demonstrate.

I'm afraid it was just a little more involved:uhoh:

He asked where I was going and I asked why he was interested. He said just curious.
Then I said "When I get back to the office I'll have my secretary send you a memo when I figure it's any of your business":uhoh::uhoh: