• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plaxico as a Role Model?

2a4all

From today's (6/16/2011) Daily Press:

Plaxico Burress' decision to become a face for anti-gun violence is a move that should be applauded by all of us and imitated by other high-profile athletes.

Burress, the NFL wide receiver who starred at Chesapeake's Green Run High School, announced on Monday that he will speak to and mentor youth on gun violence in a partnership with the National Urban League and the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Burress recently served 20 months in prison after accidentally shooting himself in a New York night club when an improperly registered pistol slipped and fired.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg decided to make an example out of Burress, who had been a recently anointed Super Bowl hero for the New York Giants.
Burress, taking the high road, is turning his misfortune into a teachable moment.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-squires-column-0616-20110615,0,6079790.column

Gag me with a spoon.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
What ol' Plax fails to realize is that his incident was not due to "gun violence" as he is going to be speaking against. It was due to negligence and poor training.

If anything, he should have signed with the NRA as an advocate for safe handling and training with firearms.

TFred

I think you're all missing the point.

This is the next logical step in the "it's never my fault" society. It was that evil gun's fault, therefore, we must ban all guns.

Perfectly clear and obvious... to a moron.

TFred

va_tazdad

He would have little use to the NRA. Better he tried to change the gun laws that made his reckless and stupid act a felony.

The reason the idiot had a discharge is that he was carrying his gun tucked in the elastic waistband of his designer sweatpants.

It was not properly secured in a holster, slipped down his pants and discharged when he grabbed at it.

The fool is lucky he didn't lose his leg or worse!

The law is not wrong, his actions were. He is less of a role model than Michael Vick.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The reason the idiot had a discharge is that he was carrying his gun tucked in the elastic waistband of his designer sweatpants.

It was not properly secured in a holster, slipped down his pants and discharged when he grabbed at it.

The fool is lucky he didn't lose his leg or worse!

The law is not wrong, his actions were. He is less of a role model than Michael Vick.

Well, I hear you, but I would observe that N.Y. law is just plain wrong.

user

Accomplished Advocate
What ol' Plax fails to realize is that his incident was not due to "gun violence" as he is going to be speaking against. It was due to negligence and poor training.

If anything, he should have signed with the NRA as an advocate for safe handling and training with firearms.

I wonder if he could be turned from the dark side?

architect

No, the reason he had an ND is because he pulled the trigger!

Of course it is negligent to carry "Mexican," but let's not let the anti's myths about guns "going off" by themselves gain any traction.

wylde007

No, the reason he had an ND is because he pulled the trigger!
Which is why the next sentence (the one you did not quote) said:
He is less of a role model than Michael Vick.
Disagree. Vick was instrumental in conscious and premeditated injury and cruelty to animals.

Plaxico is an idiot. Vick is a sociopath. Big difference.

2a4all

Well, I hear you, but I would observe that N.Y. law is just plain wrong.
I must agree, else I'll have to change my handle to "2A4SUM".

This absurd law (AKA The Sullivan Act) will be 100 years old on Sep 1st. It was originally conceived, by gangster Big Tim Sullivan, to protect his Irish mobsters from being gunned down by newly arriving Mafiosi immigants, who, as Italians, were considered "lower class" elements of society.

Could Plaxico's incident be considered a glaring example of a failure of this law? After all, he did (supposedly) complete Florida's training requirements for Concealed Carry Permit.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

This is nothing more than his agent in conjunction with a PR firm (I have dealt with many as part of previous corporate jobs) trying to stem the blood flow from the value of his "brand".

It's all about taking a negative and spinning it into a positive. It's about image and money, plain and simple. He screwed up and has probably been advised to do this to show his "remorse" and to increase his earnings or perceived value. Also any attention by the press (whether good or bad) is a good thing for someone in his shoes.

Riverdance

Burris not entirely at fault.

The combination of NY/NJ laws and black gun culture that says "guns are bad" and you'll go to jail made his need for self-defense as a sports celebrity a secret endeavor, where openness and even training may have been precluded.

He was smart enough to understand that a firearm is the most effective self-defense tool (rather than pepper spray, a car key in your hand as you traverse the parking lot, or a broken beer bottle in the club) but had no recourse to rationale or professional guidance in the world he lives in.

Now with Brady, et. al., he is once again making himself the poster boy for bad judgement.

LibertyDeath

Sez the guy who shot himself in the leg while carrying an illegal firearm...

The only true illegal firearm is a stolen one. The law is illegal. The only thing he should have been jailed for was reckless endangerment and shooting himself should have been mitigating circumstances. He is still a dumbass though.

JohnH

If someone doesn't have anything better to do with their life than to keep up with Plaxico Burress they deserve to have him as a role model.