• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohioians for Concealed Carry article on interaction with law enforcement

MyWifeSaidYes

So what you're saying is that OFCC is not extreme enough. Mmmmkay. I've often heard the same thing about the NRA. But those two organizations have something in common: THEY GET THINGS DONE. While those organizations are making significant strides in the courts and legislatures, the more extreme organizations are accomplishing little more than bragging about how uncompromising and unyielding they are. And the rest of society writes them off as "fringe elements."

People need to learn that in the real world, you don't always get your way. In a civil society, change is prompted by those who know when to push and when to lay off.

So, how do we get law enforcement to leave open carriers alone?

Imagine yourself walking down the sidewalk with a holstered handgun on your hip, doing nothing illegal, when a LEO stops you.

That's too much interaction for some. I would be okay with saying that I'm just walking and carrying a firearm for self-defense. That should be enough.

Where do we push and where do we lay off?

Imagine yourself walking down the sidewalk with a walking stick, doing nothing illegal, when a LEO stops you.

He takes away your stick, puts you in handcuffs, demands your identity and says you are not being detained. In what world do you NOT tell him to go pound sand up his a--?

As to your comment about the fringe element, you may want to review your Revolutionary War history. Some amazing things came about due to the actions of the fringe element. Eventualy, the views of those considered "fringe" came to be adopted by more of the "mainstream" of society.

Deanimator

While your misanthropic tactics are not great for winning friends, I will acknowledge that they are both valid and effective, and they are much better than trying to play "street lawyer."
Only a criminal needs a cop for a friend.

Those are "friends" bought at FAR too high a price and ones I can happily do without.

Werz

As to your comment about the fringe element, you may want to review your Revolutionary War history. Some amazing things came about due to the actions of the fringe element.
I believe I'm somewhat familiar with that conflict. Are you suggesting an armed revolt against our existing government?

Always give careful consideration to your analogies.

It's OK to stand up for your rights. You need to have some sort of grievance before things will change. Does that require YouTube street theatre with some guy who is purposefully "pushing the limits," then nervously (and often incorrectly) reciting judicial decisions and prefabricated catch phrases* to street cops? I don't think so. Have I been fairly effective in getting a few things to change without that?

* The one thing I found amusing about Kessler's article was a listing of all the standard catch phrases. Do those people really sound like someone standing up for their rights, or do they sound like little organic Turing machines?

JSlack7851

Is it just me or is DSK over there trying to start a argument. Seems like OFCC has taken up their old ways against open carriers if we don't abide by JG's way of thinking.

That guy (DSK) hasn't said anything positive all day, just running his mouth. Definitely not even trying to be part of the solution.

Werz

Is it just me or is DSK over there trying to start a argument. Seems like OFCC has taken up their old ways against open carriers if we don't abide by JG's way of thinking.

That guy (DSK) hasn't said anything positive all day, just running his mouth. Definitely not even trying to be part of the solution.
I had to look to see what you were writing about. No, it's not "just you." I see two others from the OpenCarry forum trying to start an argument with him.

He has a legitimate point of view, and I think he expressed it very well when he wrote:

You seem to have ignored or overlooked my point that OFCC DOES want to engage with agencies that believe mere open carry, without more, is RAS for a stop. If you want to behave in a manner that inflames the situation, or puts the officer on the defensive, or simply makes him or her more likely to give in to the temptation to teach you a lesson, have at it. It makes it harder for OFCC to gain an open mind or ear at the agency, and puts you at risk, but the choice is yours.
Things can be accomplished when the aggrieved party is reasonable in standing up for his rights, rather than putting on a show and antagonizing the officer. You have personally seen how I approach that type of situation and get things changed. And that's the point I have been trying to make in this thread.

If you want to P*** off people for your own entertainment and the acclamation of The Faithful®, so be it. Just don't expect a lot of help from others when you have already alienated the people whom they are trying to persuade.

Last edited:

jgarvas

I was recently pointed to this discussion and I found it so absolutely misleading as to my intentions I found it necessary to create an account here and respond. If there is any doubt that I made this account myself feel free to ask the moderators of this forum if my email address used to create this account was legitimate.

I guess the OFCC folks are having issues concerning stops and they decided to write an article. I disagree with many of the aspects for the article, maybe you do too.

I'm sorry you disagree with the article that Mr. Kessler wrote. I had nothing to do with it and I neither told David to write it, nor do I "vet" what people who have authority to post on our websites write. I'm all for respecting Mr. Kessler's free opinion on the topic.

It's awfully hard to get into a ******* match on the the street if you ID yourself as required by law, demand to know if you're free to leave, refuse consent to ANYTHING, and refuse to speak without an attorney present.

"Am I free to leave?"
"No?"
"I have nothing further to say without my lawyer present."

And the answer to "Mind if I look in <insert location>?" is ALWAYS "I do not consent to ANY search."

^ I completely agree with this. What I stated on the OFCC Forums is that if you're going to draw the line in the sand DO what is said above. Don't back down and give them your name, give them your SSN, or answer questions whose answers can be manipulated into an accusation that you lied, mislead, or otherwise obstructed. On the flip side, I also believe that if you're going to go about open carrying and you simply give them your name the matter will wrap up. -- What I personally believe is that is a decision to be made by each person who chooses to carry openly. Unfortunately, some here seem to believe that I don't agree with someone's right to open carry in whatever manner they wish. Such accusations are false, unfair, and I consider them a personal attack on my character.

From the article: "An OFCC member who cooperates politely with an officer is far more likely to receive support from OFCC afterward, at least in terms of correcting officer mistakes, than a person who behaves in an antagonistic manner."

So, according to OFCC, antagonism = exercising one's rights. :rolleyes:

I think Mr. Kessler's point here is absolutely correct and you are mischaracterizing this as if OFCC will not support someone who is antagonizing. Kessler used the words "more likely" because a person who is cooperative (or, alternatively, someone who chooses to shut up entirely) is going to have so much more going for them from a legal stand point. A person who starts answering questions of a police officer in a less-than-100%-absolutely correct manner creates legal challenges and hurdles. A person who uses disrespectful language with a police officer may find themselves in Harley's position - found guilty of a completely unrelated charged because of their inability to maintain their composure.

The absurdity of the accusation that OFCC won't consider every single case that comes before us is proven false by the Dan Sayers incident. Dan Sayers was a completely uncontrollable character on the OFCC forums who repeatedly made a name for himself. Nobody was surprised to find out he found himself dealing with the Oregon, Ohio police. Who here has not cringed at the spectacle that Dan Sayers put on in the back of the patrol car? It served him absolutely NO purpose to go on a tirade in the back of the patrol car. Had that case gone to trial the prosecution would have put that video on for the jury and assassinated Sayer's character.

The point Kessler makes (in my opinion, I have not asked him) is that if you're going to find yourself needing to go to court all of your actions will be used against you, so tread lightly.

I hope Jeff Garvis gets lots of email regarding his article.

I have not. I will tell you that I don't expect everyone to agree or disagree with every single thing we write on our website and I don't lose any sleep over it. The way our website stories operate is quite free form - someone who is a regular contributor to the organization can write an article and we post it. If its a controversial topic or something we are working on in terms of an organizational statement we peer review or peer author, review, proof read, etc. I can assure you a substantial majority of the topics discussed on our website are NOT reviewed by me as some here wish to believe. If anything I am more so the defender of our organization's volunteers and their right to say things.

If you don't like Mr. Kessler's points of view by all means, disagree with them. But please (and this is not pointed at anyone specific other than the OFCC bashers in this thread) do not bash OFCC and come to ignorant conclusions based on speculation. That simply makes you look biased and stupid.

Come on, man. You know (or ought to know) better than that. Jeff Garvas is OFCC. If the attorney's opinion didn't mesh with Jeff's opinion (as reiterated on the Riverside thread on OFCC), it would never have gotten near OFCC's front page.

Jeff, you're wrong and you're coming to an ignorant conclusion. I had never read Kessler's article in it's entirety until tonight. I saw the post go by on a Twitter feed while I was at work and I actually thought it was something completely different. (I thought we were covering something else someone else had written). I neither vetted, consulted with, nor discussed David's article with him at any time. I didn't even know he was writing an article. So as much as you might think that I am somehow controlling OFCC by my thumb you're quite wrong.

I've interacted with Jeff, in person or online, since the days when OFCC's form of "discussion" was via an e-mail "talk-list", since before lots of disillusioned people in leadership left OFCC to form BFA. I know of whom I speak.

Its quite obvious you have a vendetta of some sort. I can't help that you've clearly come to a preconceived conclusion as to who I am and what I think. I'm not going to go out of my way to change your mind because its not worth my time. Why do you find it necessary to bash my character here against the rules of this forum when I wasn't even a member?

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

Push Jeff hard enough and you'll find that he likes using OC and OCers for shock value, and wants nothing more to do with them otherwise. He's really not a rights guy, but he's desirous of OFCC having an appearance of a gun RIGHTS organization.

I think you're unfairly taking my words out of context from past discussions. What I've openly and admittedly stated in the past is that OFCC used open-carry walks in the early years before concealed carry became law as a "shock and awe" approach to making the media and legislators follow our cause, realize our demands, etc. We used it as a publicity tool by coordinating elaborate open carry walks long before 2004 - prior to preemption, prior to local gun laws not being able to be used against you. Long before it became "chic" to be the open carry activist.

We used them as a activist tool and I openly admit that. I also believe that there is a dangerous side to open carry activism and that having such an opinion of that here is not going to be something many agree with. My fear is that in the right political circumstances open carry activism could lead to a statewide ban on printing, as is the case in Florida. My fear is that in the right circumstances open carry activism has caused otherwise non-posted business establishments to post their businesses "No Guns". Does it mean I think people shouldn't do it?

Nope. By all means - have fun doing it. But if you're going to do it, do it smart so that you don't create unnecessary legal hurdles like saying you don't have a car, or that you don't have identification, etc. that can be readily found by running the license plates of cars in the vicinity and then turn into a prosecutor trying to convince a judge you

"We are about freedom. We are an advocate for all firearms related rights" Uh-huh.

As much as you seem to think or want to think that this is about those who ostentatiously challenge LEOs, it's really not. It's a good debate technique, but nothing more.

Jeff, if you don't like OFCC then don't participate in our forums and stop accusing us of not being what we claim to be. I think there is a difference between words vs. deeds. Publicly OFCC has gotten behind numerous "less than clean" cases such as the Sayers case and the Barlett case in Canton. There was an underlying undesirable element to the Barlett case that we have taken heat from more people than will ever write me about Barlett's case. The fact of the matter is that almost EVERY case that comes before OFCC has always come with baggage. Consider this case which was never made public:

A man is lawfully carrying concealed at his place of employment. A fight ensues and it is later realized he has a firearm. The police go after HIM instead of the instigator and attempt to charge him with being in a liquor establishment with a firearm, failure to notify (I think), and maybe even a couple of other charges. This happens long after SB17 is law. I don't recall if he was arrested or not, but the charges are subsequently dropped. The individual in question later admits he is a priest for the church of Satan. OFCC declines to get involved in the case.

Why do you think we declined? Quite frankly the knee jerk conclusion is because he must be a satanic worshiper right? Wrong. The reason OFCC refused to get involved in this case is because of ignorant decisions. The individual in question apparently called the city up and threatened to sue them, which caused them to re-file all of the charges against him so that they would have a bargaining chip to plea bargain away a 1984 civil rights waiver. Hindsight is 20/20 - if the individual in question came to OFCC and said "What should I do?" before he called up the city and made veiled threats we would have directed him to competent legal council one way or another. We CHOSE not to get involved because the individual's actions brought the charges upon himself and the fact of the matter is it will most likely end in a plea bargain requiring the gun owner to waive any civil claims against the city.

OFCC doesn't exist to poke one city in the eye at a time. The point of anything we do has to come with some tangible case law, some tangible benefit. This is why despite the fact that the City of Campbell lawsuit had absolutely NOTHING to do with concealed carry Ohioans For Concealed Carry got involved looking to create Statewide Pre-emption case law.

That case law, regardless of what you think of OFCC, would protect your right to do whatever you wish with respect to openly carrying a firearm.

Don't the rules here prohibit you from bashing OFCC or any other gun rights organization for their efforts and actions? I just created my account so I happened to read them:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

I refer you again to rule 12 of this forums rules. Why the OFCC bashing? If you don't like the discussion on our forum stop reading it. While I have not read anything said in that particular forum about this topic since i last posted in it I can say this unequivocally:

OFCC isn't opposed to open carry. I do, however, think its quite silly to presume that OFCC should share everyone's opinions on exactly how everything should be done, period, end of story, otherwise we are subject to ridicule.

If you don't like what OFCC does, or says, or tries to accomplish then just don't participate in OFCC. Nobody over there is begging you to see anything our way - and we're just as entitlted to have opinions collectively, individually, etc. as you are here.

Jeff Garvas
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

dsk

You might be interested to know (or perhaps it doesn't matter in your world) that I recently did a training for leos from all over the state on gun law issues. A big part of my training was making the point that open carry is not a reason for a Terry stop, nor does it satisfy the elements of any criminal charge (confused and ill-informed officers like to use inducing panic or disturbing the peace, but both have additional elements that are not present just because somebody has a gun).

You might also be interested to know I've been involved in some gun rights litigation. I've testified in support of pro-gun bills. I try and answer most legal questions that come from OFCC members via email. I've assisted agencies wanting to bring their policies in line with State law (which OFCC manages to change with some regularity).

I actually open carry myself from time-to-time.

But I'm sorry. I'll try harder to be part of the solution.

jgarvas

Actions speak louder than words, Jeff. Always have, always will.

Yet you're here playing internet tough guy tilting at windmills because you don't like OFCC or me personally? How exactly do your "actions" in this thread amount to anything other than foaming at the mouth? It's a whole lot of words from where I'm sitting while I've put countless hours of my life over the past decade plus working to achieve positive changes.

Just because I don't subscribe to your ideology 100% doesn't mean we don't generally share the same exact end game goals. People like you are not happy unless people you disagree with subscribe to your beliefs entirely, right?

JSlack7851

@ Mr. Garvas: Don't you show up in the strangest places? This is why I came here and posted this.

Hense, I came here to find out if I posted something to pi$$ off Dave. Seems, Jeffrey, the help has a chip on his shoulder. I too, had a opinion, I started taking crap for it. Maybe he should start teaching 'deescalating a situation' instead of picking fights.

dsk said:
Ah, I see. You must be a lawyer, clergy, physician or spouse of the defendant. I think that about covers it for the privileges.

He can call me all the names he wants, I didn't lose my cool. Isn't this against YOUR TOS? Personal attacks?

I had to look to see what you were writing about. No, it's not "just you." I see two others from the OpenCarry forum trying to start an argument with him.

It wasn't just me that thought so either. Didn't the same situation happen, back, the last time you were distracted by the forum? BFA made a special place for open carriers, just for the ones OFCC alienated. Tom Glassburner, started his own forum due to your mods. So did Chuck and I.

I refer you again to rule 12 of this forums rules. Why the OFCC bashing?

I'm not bashing anybody. Like in most of what I write, when I'm not sure, I get a second opinion. Werz, gave me one.

If you don't like the discussion on our forum stop reading it.

What makes you think I don't like the discussion? Did Dave deliberately try to pic a fight with me cuz he didn't like where it was going? Maybe Dave should just moderate. Did you ask Dave if he didn't like the discussion, he should stop reading it?

While I have not read anything said in that particular forum about this topic since i last posted in it I can say this unequivocally:

OFCC isn't opposed to open carry. I do, however, think its quite silly to presume that OFCC should share everyone's opinions on exactly how everything should be done, period, end of story, otherwise we are subject to ridicule.

It doesn't say OFCC supports it either, except for the shock and awe value. I've never tried to impose my opinion to you or anyone at OFCC. When you come to OCA and express your opinions I listen, I don't always agree, like the Dick's Sporting Goods letter. Look what that got us.

If you don't like what OFCC does, or says, or tries to accomplish then just don't participate in OFCC. Nobody over there is begging you to see anything our way - and we're just as entitlted to have opinions collectively, individually, etc. as you are here.

There we go again, or am I miss reading something? Are you actually asking me (us) to leave OFCC and not come back? Brings back memories..

Now, there's the credibility problem:
Didn't you tell me you were going to write a story about Dicks Sporting Goods? Say you would write a letter, with a OFCC letterhead to the Village of Batavia posting the Taste of Clermont? One of my letter writers got a reply. We'll see what happens next year.

Hows Phase II going anyway? Cincinnati Municipal Codes violating ORC 9.68.

Your a good man Garvas, smart, on the ball, but if you say your going to do something.

I think that covers all my beef's, new and old.

jgarvas

@ Mr. Garvas: Don't you show up in the strangest places? This is why I came here and posted this.

I'm not sure why you're surprised that when people take a negative approach to OFCC in a public forum that someone, somewhere, isn't going to tell people. This particular thread was quite troubling to read with all of the accusations and insinuations against my character - or OFCC's positions. I say that, and everything else I've said here, not really pointing at YOU as much as I am at others who create wild accusations and speculation.

Hense, I came here to find out if I posted something to pi$$ off Dave. Seems, Jeffrey, the help has a chip on his shoulder. I too, had a opinion, I started taking crap for it. Maybe he should start teaching 'deescalating a situation' instead of picking fights.

I may not be following this well, but I'm going to assume that you're referring to the thread on the OFCC forums that I admittedly have not gone back and read. If you feel that someone has treated you fairly there tell a moderator. If it was a moderator, then PM me over there so I can go look at it.

I'm the first to admit that I intentionally try to stay away from the forums so that I don't get sucked into discussions (like this one) when my limited free time can be spent working on substantially more pressing (yet boring) OFCC activities.

What makes you think I don't like the discussion? Did Dave deliberately try to pic a fight with me cuz he didn't like where it was going? Maybe Dave should just moderate. Did you ask Dave if he didn't like the discussion, he should stop reading it?

I have not even read the discussion. If you believe that moderators are treating you wrong there PM me the link to the discussion and I'll look at it. I don't micromanage the forums.

It doesn't say OFCC supports it either, except for the shock and awe value. I've never tried to impose my opinion to you or anyone at OFCC. When you come to OCA and express your opinions I listen, I don't always agree, like the Dick's Sporting Goods letter. Look what that got us.

Here I think you and I can agree to respect each other's opinions even if we don't agree with them. However, to say that OFCC doesn't support open carry is absurd. We spearheaded this effort with the help of numerous volunteers who did the manual mailing:

http://www.ohioccw.org/files/oc-letter_merged.pdf

While that letter started as a group effort guess which attorney did the final re-write on that letter? I know its hard to believe, but the two very people you think are not in favor of open carry have done more for open carry under the guise of OFCC than you clearly realize.

There we go again, or am I miss reading something? Are you actually asking me (us) to leave OFCC and not come back? Brings back memories..
No. I'm saying if you don't like OFCC in general then stop going there, getting upset, and then complaining. This entire thread started as a bickering over the personal opinions of one attorney who happens to volunteer for OFCC and turned into an absurd accusation that he isn't qualified to talk on the matter, that the only way his opinion could be published on our website is if I allowed it, etc. This kind of BS isn't conducive, its petty and stupid, inflammatory and childish. If you don't agree with his advice don't take it?

Now, there's the credibility problem:
Didn't you tell me you were going to write a story about Dicks Sporting Goods?

I recall this but I thought I had requested a copy of the letters so I could publish those as a part of the article. I imagine (and this is a crappy excuse) that if you never reached out to me I more than likely forgot about the discussion. If you sent them to me, then shame on me. I was surprised by your success and thought it was story worthy.

Say you would write a letter, with a OFCC letterhead to the Village of Batavia posting the Taste of Clermont? One of my letter writers got a reply. We'll see what happens next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time I started asking about this you determined that this particular event was being run by a non-profit organization. Right? That is when I backed away from the endeavor for reasons I believe I may have shared with you earlier. I commend you efforts to go after businesses like Dicks and non-profit entities, but I'm not going to do that at this point in time. If there are government organizations out there that are willfully or unwittingly violating the law I will send them letters and cite the law. But I literally do not have the time to pursue organizations that have the right to post - or I'd be going after every business in the Do Not Patronize While Armed database.

Hows Phase II going anyway? Cincinnati Municipal Codes violating ORC 9.68.

The law department advised me that the City had every intention to repeal their laws without committing to a timeline. To what extent they were going to do that was unclear and at the time I was speaking to them they were in a summer recess of some sort that prevented council from coming into session for some time. Since you bring it up, I will follow up with them to see where this is. If Cincinnati does not comply I believe that we can persuade them to do what we're asking them to do.

Unfortunately, if a City advises us that they have every intention of complying, and then we sue them and force their hand to comply in a more timely manner, they can simply argue to the court that they were working on it, they had no intention to enforce the laws, and that there is no legal basis for our complaint - which results in substantial investment in legal representation that won't be recovered.

If they fail or refuse to act, we have the litigation option and a new approach I've been considering.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I believe I'm somewhat familiar with that conflict. Are you suggesting an armed revolt against our existing government?

Always give careful consideration to your analogies.

If you are using the term revolt to mean oppose or refuse to accept something, as the colonists did regarding certain unlawful acts of Parliament and again when the King's troops were sent out to unlawfully deprive them of their munitions, of course it is our eternal duty to do so.

If you are using the term to mean an offensive attempt to overthrow the authority of the state, the colonists did no such thing in standing for their rights - they simply returned fire when fired upon.

The analogy seems well suited to the discussion if one avoids associating it with incorrect historical assumptions.

Chuck!

It wasn't just me that thought so either. Didn't the same situation happen, back, the last time you were distracted by the forum? BFA made a special place for open carriers, just for the ones OFCC alienated. Tom Glassburner, started his own forum due to your mods. So did Chuck and I.

Not EXACTLY true here. We started the OCA group to do what OFCC won't allow us to do, namely plan and coordinate meet and greets and other advocate activities without going through the odious "approval process" first.
We invited Jeff Garvas to our group because we respect him and value his opinions. He can help us get things done that OFCC won't officially get involved in, or allow on the forums, but still supports. So far he has given us good advice, and I think the relationship is mutually beneficial.

Dave was trying to stir the pot by goading Jeff, and Slack handled it well. Further, I seriously doubt he would ever "complain to a mod" about someone goading him like that. That's not his style.

I'll say this about Dave Kessler. I was attending a committee meeting at the Statehouse to testify for restaurant carry and saw Dave testify. There were two democrat representatives there who threw everything but the kitchen sink at him, and he handled himself admirably. I remember thinking "Boy, I hope they don't treat me that way" Rep Ted Celeste practically shouted at him and Rep Patmon called him everything but righteous. I may disagree with both his opinion and his tactics, but he puts his money where his mouth is and makes it count when he needs to.
And I respect THAT.

IMHO, OFCC should embrace Open Carrying as the only right we have as Ohioans to carry by opening up the OC part of the forum to the public. It is already heavily moderated with virtually nothing being planned in there anymore, (Hell, our Licking County Club can't even post our events there anymore) and keeping that part of the forum secret only makes it appear that OCers are considered underhanded somehow.

NavyCPO

. . . disillusioned people in leadership left OFCC to form BFA.

"I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there."

You're not the only one that's been around for a while. Disillusionment had little to nothing to do with it. In the interest of abiding by Forum Rule (12) I'll leave it go at that.

dsk

Not EXACTLY true here. We started the OCA group to do what OFCC won't allow us to do, namely plan and coordinate meet and greets and other advocate activities without going through the odious "approval process" first.
We invited Jeff Garvas to our group because we respect him and value his opinions. He can help us get things done that OFCC won't officially get involved in, or allow on the forums, but still supports. So far he has given us good advice, and I think the relationship is mutually beneficial.

Dave was trying to stir the pot by goading Jeff, and Slack handled it well. Further, I seriously doubt he would ever "complain to a mod" about someone goading him like that. That's not his style.

I'll say this about Dave Kessler. I was attending a committee meeting at the Statehouse to testify for restaurant carry and saw Dave testify. There were two democrat representatives there who threw everything but the kitchen sink at him, and he handled himself admirably. I remember thinking "Boy, I hope they don't treat me that way" Rep Ted Celeste practically shouted at him and Rep Patmon called him everything but righteous. I may disagree with both his opinion and his tactics, but he puts his money where his mouth is and makes it count when he needs to.
And I respect THAT.

IMHO, OFCC should embrace Open Carrying as the only right we have as Ohioans to carry by opening up the OC part of the forum to the public. It is already heavily moderated with virtually nothing being planned in there anymore, (Hell, our Licking County Club can't even post our events there anymore) and keeping that part of the forum secret only makes it appear that OCers are considered underhanded somehow.

Thank you Chuck.

I want to reiterate that the article I wrote (which is what started this discussion) had nothing at all to do with open carry, a right I support.

One point I was trying to get across is that refusing to identify oneself to an officer is a road that leads somewhere, and a great deal of thought should be put into where that somewhere is before striking out. The way I see it, we should all be prepared for a stop. We should think through how we want to handle it. To me, this isn't very different from training with your handgun. Preparation is a powerful ally.

I will probably always choose initial compliance and polite discussion and I won't abandon that plan until it is clear that it is futile. I have the means and ability to play the harder game in court, but I sure as heck would rather not. I'd rather get the officer on his or her way, then engage the Chief to discuss what the officer did incorrectly. I do not view that as selling out my principles. Your mileage may vary.

What I don't encourage is people writing about how hard they're gonna be if a cop ever dares to ask them who they are or what they are doing. Those discussions have consequences for people who have given no other thought to the matter. They are likely to try some spur-of-the-moment version of refusing to answer, and it can go awry quickly, as recent events demonstrate.

So I stand by my opinion that providing identifying information is a good start. The officer should be able to quickly determine that the open carrier is what we all say we are: law abiding citizens. That is the point at which we, the activists, should engage with the department and get it fixed. The jurisdiction has no leverage and the law is on our side.

Deanimator

I'd rather get the officer on his or her way, then engage the Chief to discuss what the officer did incorrectly.
And what has been your experience regardin Chiefs actually caring about, much less correcting such situations?

When I carry, I carry concealed, so notification AND identification (when demanded) are non-negotiable.

That being said, someone lawfully open carrying not only has no duty to produce physical ID, they don't have ANY duty to HAVE any.

I flatly refuse to notify when not carrying.

If not driving or carrying concealed, I will not produce physical ID... if I have any at all. I'll verbally ID myself. If it's an obviously pretextual encounter, I'll do what I can within the law to make the perpetrator regret it after the fact.

Catering to extra-legal WHIM only encourages escalation of unlawful demands.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Jeff (Garvas, that is) - rather than continue here with charges of character assassination, TOS violations, discussions of what you or OFCC did or didn't do, accuracy/inaccuracy of statements, etc. how about this: You start a thread over on OFCC's open carry forum on the subject of the match that lit this fire - the article referenced in the first post of this thread. Make it clear that the thread and the posters will not be subject to banishment, suspension or other penalty for their discussion/argument of the underlying issue.

Although the author claims it had nothing to do with open carry, it cuts right to the core of what a number of people view as OFCC's dissemblance on the subject of open carry: "How can OFCC say they support open carry when the organization (directly or indirectly) turns right around and says (essentially) "If you're stopped illegally, go along with everything asked of you"? In addition, whether or not the article indeed was in reference to open carry, your posts on various threads make it clear that you agree with these suggestions. The subject is much broader than this, but this is at the core of it.

I think that a discussion would be extemely valuable, and I think it may clear up some misconceptions. One thing I will not do is engage you further here - my assertions are clear, I stand behind them, but this is not the right place to have a dialogue such as I've suggested - especially since I've already posted similar thoughts on OFCC's forums.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I want to reiterate that the article I wrote (which is what started this discussion) had nothing at all to do with open carry, a right I support.
From the article: My personal observation is that many officers seem to feel compelled to conduct some cursory investigation when they receive a call about a person wearing a gun.
Again from the article: A common interaction with a law enforcement officer involves a person going about their business while armed when an officer approaches and (often after asking the person what they are up to and why they have a gun) asks for identification, or asks the person to provide name, address and/or date of birth.
How on earth does a cop know a citizen is armed if he is not OCing? Or, more accurately, how does another citizen know that a citizen is CCing and then reports that to LE? If 'concealed' means 'concealed' there can be no call made to LE. So, how does a LEO know that you are armed? You were referring to OC in your article, denying it here and now is not good.

One point I was trying to get across is that refusing to identify oneself to an officer is a road that leads somewhere, and a great deal of thought should be put into where that somewhere is before striking out. The way I see it, we should all be prepared for a stop. We should think through how we want to handle it. To me, this isn't very different from training with your handgun. Preparation is a powerful ally.
You can train LEOs, on the side of the road, by the three magic phrases (Why am I.....Am I free to.....I do not consent to any.....) AND strict compliance to the law before a encounter, during the encounter, and after the encounter. If a LEO does not like your strict compliance with the law there is not a darn thing you can do about it.

I will probably always choose initial compliance and polite discussion and I won't abandon that plan until it is clear that it is futile. I have the means and ability to play the harder game in court, but I sure as heck would rather not. I'd rather get the officer on his or her way, then engage the Chief to discuss what the officer did incorrectly. I do not view that as selling out my principles. Your mileage may vary.
As a respected individual you are in a position where your views carry more weight than another's views. I suggest that you play the harder game in court, a judgement in your favor affects LEO behavior statewide and develops the case law you and others desire. Waiting for some poor shlub, who comes looking for support, is a defensive action and likely too late to do anything about it before it gets to a judge and possibly a jury.

You may not believe it is selling out your principals but your principals are not what is at stake. That LEO has not learned a valuable lesson, that unlawful behavior results in unpleasant consequences. LE will continue to abuse citizens in the name of the law unless the very same legal/justice system that we may be unlawfully subjected is not turned upon them.

A great many changes for the good of all citizens in this country have been accomplished via activism.

Working within the system is more than subjecting yourself to verbal abuse at the hands of politicians. Sometimes a court order (case law) can change law and LE attitudes/behavior faster than a politician's vote can, and that change is permanent unlike politicians and state statute.

What I don't encourage is people writing about how hard they're gonna be if a cop ever dares to ask them who they are or what they are doing. Those discussions have consequences for people who have given no other thought to the matter. They are likely to try some spur-of-the-moment version of refusing to answer, and it can go awry quickly, as recent events demonstrate.
If there is a law that requires you to ID while lawfully walking down the sidewalk then you are correct. Without conducting research I would suspect that any "stop/ID" law would not single out OCers only but applies to all citizens in any situation or location.

If there is no authority given to LE to even ask to begin with then you are dead wrong. Do not give unto LE authority that they do not lawfully have or warrant.....you seem willing to give unto them the authority as a courtesy for the sake of expediency, very selfish of you.

So I stand by my opinion that providing identifying information is a good start. The officer should be able to quickly determine that the open carrier is what we all say we are: law abiding citizens. That is the point at which we, the activists, should engage with the department and get it fixed. The jurisdiction has no leverage and the law is on our side.
So, the entire burden is placed on the lawful citizen to follow-up abuse by proactively working with LE on something they are required to know before hand under the law? That is the most bass-ackward position on the planet. Why not proactively send letters to LE now, before a "incident" to ensure that LE gets it right before they are dragged into court by OFCC or some citizen who has the means to "stick it to the man". I contend that court action does not engender LE to "like" we OCers, on the contrary I contend that it does the complete opposite.

The benefit of court action is that the pain threshold for LE and city managers (check writers) is lowered each time a citizen publicly confirms LEO thuggery in a court of law. Prosecutors, the elected ones, are loath to sting together a list losing cases for attempting to punish citizens for engaging in lawful and constitutionally protected activity.

Our fellow citizens who have the means to defend against LE thuggery must be the ones in the forefront of the effort to restrain our servants and force them to act within the confines of the law. Leaving that task to those of lesser means is cheap, lazy, and frankly, a wrongheaded approach to getting LE fixed.

To date, my strict compliance with the law has garnered exactly two "adversarial" encounters with LE while OCing. Both instances, just weeks apart, forced this citizen to use my own means to change the "culture" in my local LEA. The knowledge held by my local LEA of my becoming involved if another instance of citizen abuse is made known to me is a very strong deterrent. Being a vocal activist within the confines of the law can mitigate a great deal of "pain and suffering" for all concerned. I leave the backroom wheeling and dealing to those with the inclination do such skulduggery.

Werz

You start a thread over on OFCC's open carry forum on the subject of the match that lit this fire - the article referenced in the first post of this thread. Make it clear that the thread and the posters will not be subject to banishment, suspension or other penalty for their discussion/argument of the underlying issue.
Why be repetitive? It seems to me that the article was just fuel, and the "match that lit this fire" was struck here. Why not just transfer that post and and the remainder of the thread to a new thread? It's been done before.