• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Caliber preference

just James

Wow, Oregon seems to be a dead thread lately.
I think that it would be interesting to see what everyone's choice is for a carry caliber. Not talking about gun brand, or even type, just caliber preference. I suspect that 9mm will be the most popular, with either 45 or .380 in second.
Elaborate on why you prefer "your" caliber if you want.
As for myself, I carry a 44 special. Am I the only one who does, around here?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
some times on the OC thread, no reports of problems OC'g, is good...

but please feel free to roam the whole OCDO site and jump in with observations, critique, or commentary, as you feel comfortable with.

however, i noticed you mentioned you carried 9m, but didn't elaborate why ~ as you asked others to do?

myself, many years ago before the purported ammo shortage & after extensive personal research on ballistics, stopping power, etc., i made a conscious decision, based on my specific purpose for carry, to switch to 9m and to purge my collection of firearms which did not shoot 9m.

i have been quite satisfied with the decision as it has served me economically on ammo costs, ability to purchase better ammo (SD), allowed purchase of higher end SD firearms as well as allowed expenditure towards 'smithing' to work some of the 'kinks' (real or imagined) out so they will operate at peak & full capacity of their initial engineering design.

ipse
I think he said he carried a 44 special......

just James

some times on the OC thread, no reports of problems OC'g, is good...

but please feel free to roam the whole OCDO site and jump in with observations, critique, or commentary, as you feel comfortable with.

however, i noticed you mentioned you carried 9m, but didn't elaborate why ~ as you asked others to do?

myself, many years ago before the purported ammo shortage & after extensive personal research on ballistics, stopping power, etc., i made a conscious decision, based on my specific purpose for carry, to switch to 9m and to purge my collection of firearms which did not shoot 9m.

i have been quite satisfied with the decision as it has served me economically on ammo costs, ability to purchase better ammo (SD), allowed purchase of higher end SD firearms as well as allowed expenditure towards 'smithing' to work some of the 'kinks' (real or imagined) out so they will operate at peak & full capacity of their initial engineering design.

ipse

No, I did not "ask" others to elaborate. I also did not say that I prefer 9mm. I don't even own one.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Caliber choice is based on how well the firearm you choose to shoot such caliber handles. As great as 44 special is, if I can't find a firearm I can handle it's pretty useless to carry.

just James

One more thing, since this is "my" thread, I really don't want it to degenerate into an argument about which caliber is best.

B

Bikenut

My strong hand open carry is a 9mm Glock 26 and my weak hand concealed carry is a Ruger SR22 .22lr.. I am accurate with the Glock strong hand and accurate with the Ruger weak hand. Caliber doesn't matter... only holes matter and accurately placed smaller or even little holes matter more than big holes in places that don't hit anything important or, even worse, big bullets that don't make any holes at all because the shooter missed due to recoil.

Having said all that.... if a person is accurate with a .45, a .44, a .40, or only a .22, then that is the caliber they should carry because only accurate holes matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
James, Welcome to OCDO and please do not let the negatives get you down.

I carried a .45 for the longest time, but when the Military changed to 9x19 I did too. After leaving the military I shifted to a more compact weapon in 9x18. Recently I found a very nice little .45 that I am extremely comfortable with.
Yess, I have firearms that stretch from a 9mm Glatt shotgun to a 203 grenade launcher in calibre, but my EDC is a .45 hollow point.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I normally carry a clunker Llama in 9mm Largo, but I have nicer ones.
Same size as a 1911, and I have some of those too.
380s, I have too some nice, some less so
I like full size guns, left handed, but prefer carry cross draw.

Sooo,,, final answer,, 9mm Largo....

Firearms Iinstuctor

Let me see in the last two weeks I have carried in descending order 45acp 44mag 41mag 40S@W 357mag 9mmL 38 spl and a 22lr caliber hand guns.

I could have added a 380 and a 32 in there but the situations didn't call for them.:lol:

Caliber preference what I have on my person at the time.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

One more thing, since this is "my" thread, I really don't want it to degenerate into an argument about which caliber is best.

I guess you have not been around the internet long. Anytime someone wants to start a decisive thread they make it about caliber, gun choice, HP or FMJ, or OC v CC. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not aware of these anomalies. But now you know so keep that in mind as the thread progressives.

For myself I carry whatever caliber that suits me, and yes it depends on the gun. It can be anywhere from a 22 to a 45, a SA or DA revolver to double stack, and single stack semi autos. I seldom use HP's I personally have no faith in them, I am old school that I depend on shot placement, and penetration. During warm weather I train daily with air soft replicas of my 1911, and glocks.

None of these threads belong to us, they belong to the owners of the site. We own our own words that we post within rules. Threads are encouraged to stay on topic, but drift as long as the drift is within the rules. Any member can post in any thread, again as long as they stay within the rules.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
.45 ACP. Most of the time, a lightweight 5" 1911, sometimes an XD-S, and my dress attire will often see a S&W .45 ACP revolver in sharkskin.

No need for hollow points, I carry the same ammo I train with, 230-gr Lead Round Nose.

I've got some +P Golden Sabre hollow points, but they put more power on both ends. I like the faster recovery of standard loads. I save the +P (and the .45 Super) for the revolver when in the field, though that will sometimes see me carrying the Vaquero .45 Colt, which has taken a mule deer with a Winchester Silvertip at 105 paces.

Some of my matches might see me carrying a Glock 41 long-slide .45 ACP, and I also have an all-steel 5" 1911 .45 to throw in the rotation.

So, in case I missed saying it, my answer is .45.

The .44 Special is perhaps the equivalent to "best of all worlds," even if your bullet is 0.022 smaller. :)

WalkingWolf

Let me see in the last two weeks I have carried in descending order 45acp 44mag 41mag 40S@W 357mag 9mmL 38 spl and a 22lr caliber hand guns.

I could have added a 380 and a 32 in there but the situations didn't call for them.:lol:

Caliber preference what I have on my person at the time.

+1 (thumbs up)

Plus I don't concern myself with what other people carry, it is ok for some to ask, but the buck stops at the person carrying.

WalkingWolf

.45 ACP. Most of the time, a lightweight 5" 1911, sometimes an XD-S, and my dress attire will often see a S&W .45 ACP revolver in sharkskin.

No need for hollow points, I carry the same ammo I train with, 230-gr Lead Round Nose.

I've got some +P Golden Sabre hollow points, but they put more power on both ends. I like the faster recovery of standard loads. I save the +P (and the .45 Super) for the revolver when in the field, though that will sometimes see me carrying the Vaquero .45 Colt, which has taken a mule deer with a Winchester Silvertip at 105 paces.

Some of my matches might see me carrying a Glock 41 long-slide .45 ACP, and I also have an all-steel 5" 1911 .45 to throw in the rotation.

So, in case I missed saying it, my answer is .45.

The .44 Special is perhaps the equivalent to "best of all worlds," even if your bullet is 0.022 smaller. :)

My 1911 is loaded with 200gn lead flat point at 800fps. Gun is reliable with that loading and recoil is less than a factory 9mm. I can put 8 rounds into a pie plate in less than 2 seconds at 10 yards. I have complete faith in a bullet at that speed and weight can stop an attacker with one round to the noggin.

For the OP personally if I was you I would concentrate more on training/practice. It does not even have to be your carry, as long as it is simular. Fundamentals is all the same. That is why I use airsoft so much, and just enough live fire. I practice at ten yards with pie plates, and swinging buckets from limbs. Airsoft allows safe quick draw from a holster, or get a blue gun to train quick draw. I have seen to many accidents with quick draw live fire.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I guess you have not been around the internet long. Anytime someone wants to start a decisive thread they make it about caliber, gun choice, HP or FMJ, or OC v CC. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not aware of these anomalies. But now you know so keep that in mind as the thread progressives.

For myself I carry whatever caliber that suits me, and yes it depends on the gun. It can be anywhere from a 22 to a 45, a SA or DA revolver to double stack, and single stack semi autos. I seldom use HP's I personally have no faith in them, I am old school that I depend on shot placement, and penetration. During warm weather I train daily with air soft replicas of my 1911, and glocks.

None of these threads belong to us, they belong to the owners of the site. We own our own words that we post within rules. Threads are encouraged to stay on topic, but drift as long as the drift is within the rules. Any member can post in any thread, again as long as they stay within the rules.
WOW, I didn't know that. Hay MAC702 did you know that? It's amazing what you can learn on this forum. Thank you Walking for pointing that out. (sarcasm off)

just James

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I realize that I do not own this thread. That is why I put "my" in quotation marks in my earlier reply.
I was just basically bored this morning, and thought it would be interesting to see what caliber others carry on a regular basis.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I realize that I do not own this thread. That is why I put "my" in parentheses in my earlier reply.
I was just basically bored this morning, and thought it would be interesting to see what caliber others carry on a regular basis.
But, your attitude caused someone to write you off. Not good. He could have taught you a thing or two.

just James

But, your attitude caused someone to write you off. Not good. He could have taught you a thing or two.

I find this very strange.
I attempted to clarify what was apparently misread/misunderstood in my original post, but my "attitude" caused someone to write me off.
There was no intent on my part to be confrontational, or display any sort of "attitude".
Although it has since been deleted, the first reply to my original post was quoted in later posts. If anyone cares to go back and reread it. It is obvious that the person quoted either misread, or misunderstood my original post. I attempted to clarify.
When I stated that this was my thread, I intentionally put "my" in quotation marks to denote the fact that I understood that I did not own the thread, but was the one who started it.
I guess that attitude, demeanor, and intent don't always come through very well in printed text.
Possibly, I should restrict myself to reading here, and forgo contributing, lest my attitude be misunderstood in the future.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I find this very strange.
I attempted to clarify what was apparently misread/misunderstood in my original post, but my "attitude" caused someone to write me off.
There was no intent on my part to be confrontational, or display any sort of "attitude".
Although it has since been deleted, the first reply to my original post was quoted in later posts. If anyone cares to go back and reread it. It is obvious that the person quoted either misread, or misunderstood my original post. I attempted to clarify.
When I stated that this was my thread, I intentionally put "my" in parentheses to denote the fact that I understood that I did not own the thread, but was the one who started it.
I guess that attitude, demeanor, and intent don't always come through very well in printed text.
Possibly, I should restrict myself to reading here, and forgo contributing, lest my attitude be misunderstood in the future.
It sounds like your pleading a Mea culpa. That would be a wise thing to do, in my opinion. Or maybe not. You can do a restart.

Words are important and the choice of words is even more important.

The ball is now in your court......