• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Open Carry Bill

~*'Phoenix'*~

I know here it come! But, shouldn't LEO/everybody treat you with Respect either way?
Is not RESPECT something you should have without being earned until you lose it?
This is my belief. just because I will be defiant does NOT mean that I will disrespect somebody.

Yes, they should respect me as much as I respect them, which is completely as long as they aren't giving me any problems, which has been almost never.
Unfortunately, I know their respect for me is gonna drop about 95% as soon as I have a gun on my hip without a shirt over it. Unfortunately, it falls on us to restore that respect we deserve by continuing to be respectful and cooperative (not capitulating, but cooperative) and doing our part to make our encounters end as smoothly and quickly as possible.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
can't help but feel people who think like you about not giving an inch when we've gained a mile are the ones that are going to cost me my long awaited OC rights.
"Here's my card... Thank you have a good day."
Hurts no one, shows respect, goes much further toward earning their respect, let's him/her go deal with criminals instead of me, and gets me back on my merry way.

Phoenix, I use to think like you, so I'm not going to call you stupid or anything. You simply just "don't get it" yet. And perhaps one day you will.

The 2nd Amendment is the only amendment in the Bill of Rights with the words at the end, "shall not be infringed." Lots of good men died so we could have this constitution and be a republic free from the ridiculous British rule. (for the record, handguns are just about non-existant in England now) Because so much was sacrificed so we could be our own nation we had a document written that would lay our our RIGHTS so that the governing body couldn't strip things away we saw as a necessity to be a free human. Remember, at the end of the 2nd amendment the words "shall not be infringed" were written. Fast forward about 200 years and we have to get permission from the governing body to keep and bear arms, the right no longer exists even though the words "shall not be infringed" were added.

In summary, we see anyone who is "cool" with the constitution being shredded as a douche bag. Usually politicians or cops (not all of them). The whole "give and take" means nothing. You don't GIVE and TAKE with the constitution. It is the law of the land, there is no room for some off the wall interpretation, it is very clear. The right of the people to KEEP and BEAR arms shall not be infringed. PERIOD. So if I'm keeping and bearing arms at walmart, you CAN NOT infringe upon that. Since that is not a crime, you cannot violate my 4th amendment right and search my PAPERS (CWL) since I'm doing nothing wrong. But even then, the CWL means nothing since the 2nd amendment says SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED....

Idk if that made sense, it kind of turned into a rant...

protect our rights

Thank you! Yes, let's OC from day 1, but is it unreasonable to do so in a polite, unobtrusive manner, and without the I-ain't-showing-you-nothing attitude ?

Ease into it. Don't use OC as a means to be pushy about every other issue on your personal agendas. If you've got issue with police violating your rights, can't you find some other way to breach the issue? Give people a chance to see that people with visible guns aren't argumentative or confrontational. Giving officers crap about showing your card from day 1 will not help advance our open carry rights and cause.

Yes, they should respect me as much as I respect them, which is completely as long as they aren't giving me any problems, which has been almost never.
Unfortunately, I know their respect for me is gonna drop about 95% as soon as I have a gun on my hip without a shirt over it. Unfortunately, it falls on us to restore that respect we deserve by continuing to be respectful and cooperative (not capitulating, but cooperative) and doing our part to make our encounters end as smoothly and quickly as possible.

You think that is respect they are showing you? (once again using another rights movement.) So were the officers that POLITELY kicked the blacks out of the white building respecting them. Grow up and get some worldly sense.

Bingo. And:

" How is me suing an officer and winning against him going to hurt YOUR right to open carry."
-LOTS of luck with that, provided you even survive the encounter with the LEO at all,especially if he ends up being either some fresh on the beat rookie, some nervous/edgy/having a crappy day veteran, or whatever-and he interprets your response in a way that makes him escalate things..

Who said I was gonna F*** this and F*** that! Screw you Copper!. I will simply state I consent to NO searches or seizures of my property. If he decides to escalate the situation then I would hope anyone with a lick of sense would listen and follow the LEOs directions. I love how you twist my words to fit the meaning that is easiest for you to attack.

there's what you, me and the next guy are going to end up dealing with in real life on the street.

Which one is going to get a LEO to respond better. A judge 400 miles away and a ruling against his beliefes, or the lawsuit against his buddy for $20,000?

Just, keep a cool head is all, folks.Ease into things. There's going to be a serious adjustment period if this thing goes through-take it in stride,and ease folks to our side of things-including LEO's.
If our resident hotheads go seeking out confrontations or making spectactles of themselves at every turn-from the word go- it's going to wreck things for all of us.

Once again twisting my words. I encourage you to look over my previous posts on this thread. Qoute me on where I said I will "bait them" or where I will "Refuse everything". Is there something wrong with me standing up for my rights? Like I always say, "there are Leaders in rights movements, and then of course their are the Feeders. (people who choose not to join in the movement but then reap the benefits.

Last edited:

protect our rights

It is the law of the land, there is no room for some off the wall interpretation, it is very clear. The right of the people to KEEP and BEAR arms shall not be infringed. PERIOD. So if I'm keeping and bearing arms at walmart, you CAN NOT infringe upon that. Since that is not a crime, you cannot violate my 4th amendment right and search my PAPERS (CWL) since I'm doing nothing wrong. But even then, the CWL means nothing since the 2nd amendment says SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED....

Well technically the owners could infringe by making you leave, but I believe you were talking about LEOs. Just so someone doesn't confuse your meaning.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Well technically the owners could infringe by making you leave, but I believe you were talking about LEOs. Just so someone doesn't confuse your meaning.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was not referring to business owners, LEO was what I meant. I used just used walmart as an example of being out of the house in the public (on private property ;) ). naw'mean?

Kingfish

I know there's the whole case law issue that possession of a firearm is not RAS/PC for a stop, but I wish people just won't object and show the dang card a few times a week for the first few months til everyone calms down and it isn't a big deal anymore
The thing is that they do not have the statutory, constitutional, or judicially ruled power to demand papers without RAS/PC of criminal activity.

If we just give in and show papers every time, what makes you think they will stop asking?
This is a serious question.

77zach

The thing is that they do not have the statutory, constitutional, or judicially ruled power to demand papers without RAS/PC of criminal activity.

If we just give in and show papers every time, what makes you think they will stop asking?
This is a serious question.

Yes. And if we ever want unlicensed OC, it will help if they can't demand our papers now. There would be no difference to them either way, so less of a fight for us later on.

sniper1

Coats

The archived video from the Judiciary Committee meeting on 3/24 is now available on the House web site at: http://streams.leg.state.fl.us/archive/MBR/H_2594_2011_03_24_8551.asx. It works for me with Internet Explorer 8, but not Firefox.

At approx. 1 hour 20 minutes into the video, Lt. Rick Hernandez with Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office makes the statement that all "Man With A Gun" calls will be treated as Priority One with a minimum of two officers responding.

At 1 Hour 51 minutes, Coats starts and at about 1 hour 54 minutes he makes the ridiculous statement that officers will be drawing down on citizens.

I wish I had a way to capture streaming video. Tonight I'm going to try to record the video from my computer screen and if the quality is any good, I'm going to post it on Youtube.

In my opinion, since he is the Sheriff and he sets policy for the department, he is conspiring to deny citizen's rights.

He should be fired.

I live in Largo...dead center of Pinellas County. Should we get our rights restored, i will be open carrying, and when/if this happens to me, you can be sure there will be consequences...I hope to retire soon

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I guess it will die in committee. April 26 is when committee hearings end and it still has to go through rules. We'll have to wait to next year.

It's a long way to the 26th.

We're going to have to send a few thousand emails to Sen. Flores and Sen. Haridopolos.
The alert with subject line to use will be published shortly.

deserteagle50

I hope this passes very soon....

FLORIDA CARRY, INC. LEGISLATIVE ALERT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 31, 2011

SB 234 – Open Carry/Vehicle Storage/Long Gun Statute Repeal Bill Stalled in Senate Judiciary Committee

Members and friends,

SB 234’s companion bill has expeditiously completed its journey through committee and is waiting to be heard on the House floor. For some undisclosed reason, SB 234 has been stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee since March 16. Normally, the chairperson of the committee is responsible for scheduling bills to be considered. Senator Anitere Flores (R-Miami/Dade) is the chairperson for this committee. Her staff maintains that the committee staff has not scheduled the bill, and the committee staff states it is the chairperson’s responsibility. The bill’s sponsor, Senator Evers, has sent multiple formal requests to get the bill scheduled. The next committee meeting is April 4, and SB 234 is still not on the agenda for this meeting.

It is critical that this bill get scheduled and heard, as it still has to pass both this committee and the Senate Rules Committee prior to the end of committee meetings for the session.

Florida Carry is urgently requesting your immediate action to get this bill on the agenda. We need everyone to fire off an e-mail to both Senator Flores and Senate President Mike Haridopolos. We are calling for a “mailbox meltdown”. Early on, Senator Bogdanoff waffled on this bill, and it was your enormous response that got her back on board. We need you to do this again, this time in trump.

Feel free to use the e-mail helper below, and thank you again for your solid support. We’re almost there, and we just need a final push to get this bill to the Governor’s desk for his promised signature.
E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, copy, paste, and edit to suit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO:
flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov; haridopolos.mike.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT:
Get SB 234 moving again!

Dear Senators Haridopolos and Flores

Senate Bill 234 has been sitting at the Judiciary Committee since March 16. Its companion bill in the house has already completed committee hearings and awaits a vote on the house floor. It is imperative that SB 234 get scheduled for both the Judiciary and Rules Committees immediately, in order to make the April 26 cutoff date.

Senator Evers has made multiple requests for scheduling the bill, and has been ignored to date. Florida Carry, and other rights organizations, have worked too long and too hard to get this bill to this point, just to have it die in committee within sight of the finish line. Governor Scott has already indicated his intent to sign the bill. Concealed carry licensees have patiently waited for this bill for over 23 years. Florida is one of only seven states that do not permit some form of general open carry. The objections raised by law enforcement and retail associations make no mention that the practice of open carry is successful in 43 states, nor do they acknowledge their dire predictions are the same “blood in the streets” arguments of almost a quarter-century ago. Those predictions have been proven unfounded. There is no substantiated reason for this bill to be stalled at this point.

Please get this bill scheduled immediately for the remaining two committees.

Respectfully yours,
<your name>

Rick H

Can we get Governor Scott to pass this with the HB.517 only and bypass the Sen. like he did with the high speed rail???? He says he is for this Bill. is this possible???

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Can we get Governor Scott to pass this with the HB.517 only and bypass the Sen. like he did with the high speed rail???? He says he is for this Bill. is this possible???

You can't just bypass the Senate. That's not really how high speed rail happened...

There are other avenues but there is probably not enough time in the session to have HB 517 stand alone.

Email Senators Flores and Haridopolos

Last edited:

nigmalg

You can't just bypass the Senate. That's not really how high speed rail happened...

There are other avenues but there is probably not enough time in the session to have HB 517 stand alone.

Email Senators Flores and Haridopolos

There are Republican supermajorities in both Houses. How can the House pass it without a problem and the Senate struggle at every step?

~*'Phoenix'*~

There are Republican supermajorities in both Houses. How can the House pass it without a problem and the Senate struggle at every step?

Because they're anti-constitution RINO's? Worse than half the Democrats; at least they've got the ***ls to claim they're in the 'gun control party'