• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns are not only for killing people

eddallen1958

There are too many people out there that think guns are just for killing people. That is not the case. Guns are good when in the right hands and used by the right people. There are many uses for guns and shooting at people is not they're only purpose. The Anti-Gun-Nuts should think about this. Here is just a small list of the things they are useful for. Everyone feel free to add to the list, I know there are several that I have not mentioned.

Collecting: There are many gun collectors out there. Some that have no other reason for owning a gun other than collecting and others like collecting and shooting. Rare guns can be worth thousands of dollars.

Conversation: Some people just like to sit around and BS about their guns. When someone gets a new gun they usually like to show it off to some of their friends. So what's wrong with that.

Sporting: Target shooting is a great sport and done everyday by thousands of people. There is also combat shooting which a lot of people enjoy.

Hunting: Meat is a food source; We all have to eat. Some people like to hunt their own meat. Meat packers shoot those cows and pigs too. Does anyone put down a gun for that?

Self Defense: One never know when or where he/she is going to be in a situation where they will need to defend themselves from a fatal attack. This could be on the street on even in your own home. Face it, we need to be able to protect ourselves and we have that right to do that.

Defense for Others: Here's a scenario. Suppose you're walking past a dark alley and notice some guy holding this a knife at some ladies throat. He is trying to remove her clothing and she is terrified. Being the good citizen that you are and carrying your gun, you decide you're not going to allow this to happen. It turns out that you just had to shoot this guy because he made an attempt to stab you. You just stopped a rape and/or a murder. The lady clings onto you as you wait for the police to arrive. So who was to know that this lady was a Anti-Gun-Nut.

Just Plain Having Fun: How many gun owners like to just go out and shoot em up. Go out to the desert or wherever and shoot at cans or anything they see (of course being lawful about it). Plinking is fun and lots of people do it. I have even known some people to pick up some of the trash they shot at left by others. So tell me how that is bad.

Carry Your Gun - Exercise Your Rights

Japle

I shot in a pistol competition two weekends ago with over 75 entries.

According to the “guns are only meant to kill people” logic, every one of the guns we used to fire over 9,400 rounds was defective.
No one was injured.

Hell, I used 5 five 19 round magazines, myself! It’s a miracle any of us survived!!

TrailRunner

You forgot one: Equalization of the other rights. You kind of hit on it with self defense, but a right to your own life and to your body is the most basic right.

Let's face it.. Might makes right, at least that's the way it works in the animal kingdom. People aren't really an exception to that.. History has shown that those without the means to equal the force of their attackers end up being oppressed. These people would not be able to exercise what we see as basic rights, because they lacked that ability.

The modern firearm is the great equalizer. It truly makes a 4'9", 95lb woman equal in destructive force to any 275 linebacker. A firearm to that woman should, rightly, represent her ability to insure that she is able to exercise the rest of her rights. As long as she has that firearm, she can enforce her ability to speak her peace, practice her religion etc.

PT111

You self defense and defense for others reasons are just another way of saying they are for killing. Unless you are going to show your gun to scare the BG then it is for killing people. Both the long gun and the handgun were both invented and developed for the reason of killing living things - people/animals. The other purposes are just by-products of that. This is not to say that the only use for a gun is to kill but that was the original idea and is still the primary purpose. However there are many other things you can do with guns that are totally unrelated to killing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
You self defense and defense for others reasons are just another way of saying they are for killing. Unless you are going to show your gun to scare the BG...

As open carry does?

...then it is for killing people.

OC remains a valid deterrent, just sitting there with the grip visible jutting out of its holster. No drawing required, unless the BG doesn't take the hint. Even then, simply withdrawing it works 2/3rd of the time. Pulling the trigger is often not required.

eddallen1958

As open carry does?

OC remains a valid deterrent, just sitting there with the grip visible jutting out of its holster. No drawing required, unless the BG doesn't take the hint. Even then, simply withdrawing it works 2/3rd of the time. Pulling the trigger is often not required.

Well said since9.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread. It is not that guns are not for killing people, but rather that's not the only thing they are for.

How about this one: Some people have guns Just Because They Can. It Is Our 2nd Amendment Right.

PT111

As open carry does?

Yes it does remain a deterrent because if necessary it can be used for killing. If it could not be used for anything other than show (a toy gun for instance) would it be a deterrent. Guns are used for many things other than killing but the primary purpose is for killing. Since that is their primary purpose they can be used as a deterrernt. People use them at the range for both to hone their skills in case they need to actually use them as well as to have fun.

The very valid point that has been made is that guns are not used solely for killing but for many other things and to say that they are only for killing is a mistake. However it is still the reason guns were invented and the ultimate purpose of guns are for killing. If not then we all should just switch to airsoft. They make some airsoft guns that look exactly like the real models so if you only want to use it as a deterrent and never actually plan to use it then carry an airsoft in your holster and that way your won't have to worry with the police.

j4l

Im not a hunter,I dont shoot competitive or find a whole lot of amusement poking holes in paper..i Buy the guns I buy almost exclusively for the express purpose of putting big-bore holes into people,should such a need arise.
I make no bones about this, I find no shame in stating as much.If/when other folks are too squeamish about that-too bad for them.
C'mon ladies, get over the self-conscience/guilty-conscience, girly-man excuse-making for having guns. We have guns- MAINLY-because they can kill people. Man up and tell the anti's/squeamish to get the f ck over it.

sudden valley gunner

Guns were not invented for target practice or hunting they were invented to injure, harm and kill people.

This does not mean that ownership of them means we are ought looking to harm others. They are a tool used for protecting ourselves when others intend us harm, and according to our constitution a means of rectifying government tyranny and wrongdoing.

Now that we use them for recreational non lethal activities is a great bonus.;)

parker64

Im not a hunter,I dont shoot competitive or find a whole lot of amusement poking holes in paper..i Buy the guns I buy almost exclusively for the express purpose of putting big-bore holes into people,should such a need arise.
I make no bones about this, I find no shame in stating as much.If/when other folks are too squeamish about that-too bad for them.
C'mon ladies, get over the self-conscience/guilty-conscience, girly-man excuse-making for having guns. We have guns- MAINLY-because they can kill people. Man up and tell the anti's/squeamish to get the f ck over it.

I am a hunter and love to shoot and improve my marksmanship... That being said I happen to agree with you 100% on the remainder of your statement!!

Mike

j4l

I am a hunter and love to shoot and improve my marksmanship... That being said I happen to agree with you 100% on the remainder of your statement!!

Mike

Ty. To be clear though, I didnt mean to imply no one else does, or that there's anything "wrong" with doing so (hunting/target whatevering),just that I,thus far, dont.
My own, personal, sole reason for such arms is for combative use, if needed.
As such,my priority for the aquisition of arms is for combative arms, rather than "recreational" use. And I have no problem saying as much very loud and proudly.

since9

Campaign Veteran

I could take or leave going to the range. I don't like cleaning (who does?), either. I still go to the range 3x to 4x per year because I'm far more likely to put holes into people than innocent bystanders if I practice poking holes in paper instead of the dirt berm behind the targets at the range.

I make no bones about this...

Neither do I. Killing innocent civilians STINKS. Expecially for their loved ones left behind. That's why I hit the range on a regular basis and use man-profile targets.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Parker - like you, I hunt, collect, punch paper and steel. The only problem I have with OC vs. CC is that with OC you are advertising to a potential mugger that you ARE carrying. They will be MUCH more likely to try and get the drop on you (say with a pipe, baseball bat, or their gun) giving you less opportunity to defend yourself.
With CC, even if they pull a gun, if you're carrying one of those "hide-away" types, you might be able to get the drop on them. If they bust your skull first, you don't stand a chance.

This urban legend surely does die hard. We need to start requiring cites every time the OC gun snatch and Ocer will be the first taken out et al is brought up. :banghead:

Question - CCing distinguishes someone from the rest of the herd how?

IMO - it is far better to be at the leading edge of the communication curve than to be trying to play catch up.

Badger Johnson

Bedside-Gun-table-lamp_403D1C13.jpg

XD40coyote

--Moderator Edited/Deleted one stand alone sentence for content--

Another you left out is defense against wild and domestic animals- wether a bear, a mt lion, a raging dog, or a rabid raccoon.

I've also used a gun to "collect" fur. First you trap them, then you put them down.

Hunting- shooting your game is a good way to intro a new hunter. It takes a little less skill than bowhunting and you can shoot the animals from further away, so it's a good way to get someone hooked. If they want to go from rifle/shotgun to bow hunting and blackpowder, or even spears and atlatls, well... there you go.