• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DISARMED what now????

45acpForMe

Whether your incident turns into a complaint or lawsuit will depend.

Personally if a LEO acts professionally and happens to overstep his authority a simple reminder either via letter, complaint, recommended training for staff would be fine.

If they treat me like the person in Philly where guns were pointed at his chest I would be pushing for a lawsuit.

If the department is willing to work with you and change their behavior we shouldn't be looking to hit a OC-violation-lottery. If the department involved obfuscates and refuses to address the underlying violations and remedy them via training, apology, etc a lawsuit may be the only language they will be willing to hear only because they will be forced to listen.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sue the crap out of _____________ and then tithe 10% of yer winnings to thow a bif OCDO celebration :)

Or find a way to put the money to use funding legal representation for those who otherwise would not be able to afford it?

Except for slam-dunk product liability cases (see the ads on TV) even the personal injury folks are shying away from contingency-fee cases these days. If you don't have the $$ to buy legal representation your ability to obtain justice can be severely limited.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the heads-up, everyone. Btw, my phone should ring seven or eight times before dumping over to voice-mail; that's to give me a chance to run to the nearest phone and answer it myself, if I'm there. It only seems interminable.

Glockster

Also can't wait for additional information. Even if you have to wait on the other details, would appreciate knowing which of our cities this happened in as soon as that can be shared.

MSC 45ACP

How about we all **** until the OP has something to say?
Lets NOT let this thread go to 19+ pages of silliness and pontification.

We're ALL interested in knowing even the slightest detail, but releasing ANYTHING could hurt his situation.
Lets try to back off and wait for USER to share his guidance and wisdom with us as it becomes 'available'.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How about we all **** until the OP has something to say?
Lets NOT let this thread go to 19+ pages of silliness and pontification.

We're ALL interested in knowing even the slightest detail, but releasing ANYTHING could hurt his situation.
Lets try to back off and wait for USER to share his guidance and wisdom with us as it becomes 'available'.

Yep!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Given the possibility of a need to preserve evidence, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to FOIA the PD to get the dispatcher's notes, the recording of the original call, and the incident report. It's pretty likely that stuff will vanish unless the demand is made right quick. I'm wondering whether someone could help OP do that? (I'm not as expert on FOIA as some of y'all are.)

Glockster

Given the possibility of a need to preserve evidence, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to FOIA the PD to get the dispatcher's notes, the recording of the original call, and the incident report. It's pretty likely that stuff will vanish unless the demand is made right quick. I'm wondering whether someone could help OP do that? (I'm not as expert on FOIA as some of y'all are.)

Would knowing which city this was in be relevant to someone offering to help?

MR Redenck

Or find a way to put the money to use funding legal representation for those who otherwise would not be able to afford it?

Except for slam-dunk product liability cases (see the ads on TV) even the personal injury folks are shying away from contingency-fee cases these days. If you don't have the $$ to buy legal representation your ability to obtain justice can be severely limited.

stay safe.

That aint no joke!
No justice for a broke man. :cry: