• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more OC till November 18

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just a reminder for the coming legislative year. Because of P4P, starting on October 1 and going through November 18, I and many like myself, will not be able to OC. Since I farm, I can carry concealed or open without a permit, but during muzzle loading and bow season, I can't carry at all....Except on Sunday of course.

Jonesy

Just a reminder for the coming legislative year. Because of P4P, starting on October 1 and going through November 18, I and many like myself, will not be able to OC. Since I farm, I can carry concealed or open without a permit, but during muzzle loading and bow season, I can't carry at all....Except on Sunday of course.

What is P4P, please explain.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Perks for Permits.

The bow/ML hunting is a good example. I can't carry but someone who took a hunter safety class or CHP class (Which I have taken BTW)and paid fifty bucks for a permit (Which I won't) is far less likely to shoot a Deer than someone who won't get a permit. There must be some logic there, I just missed it.

Same for carry in WMA's and National forest.

I cannot carry in the General Assembly building even though I can bypass the metal detectors.

The Code is full of P4P that the gun lobby often pushes because it's easier to pass.

Do a search here. There are plenty of rants to read:lol:

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
P4P is "perks for permittees". It is the approach that many gun "rights" organizations have used to establish in the minds of the American public that guns are only good in the hands of licensees who have paid some arbitrary fee to a government, have undergone some undergone some arbitrary training and established a "good guy" status by undergoing a background check (which only would catch what you didn't get away with and has no bearing on what crime you might commit after getting said license). In trade for the establishment that guns are only okay in the hands of these licensees the licensees enjoy certain "perks" regarding how and when they may carry a firearm that the remainder of the populace (which thinks that the right to arms is a human right) is not privy to.

*Peter Nap it looks like you and I were responding at the same time. Your post wasn't there when I hit "reply".

Last edited:

Blk97F150

'Perks for Permits'. Basically when the legislature adds 'incentives' for people who have a concealed carry permit, allowing them to do things that lawful Open Carriers are not permitted to do.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Peter am I correct in thnking that it would be legal for you to carry openly without a CHP on your own property, provided you weren't hunting with a muzzle loader or bow? This would only seem to have any effect if you were also carrying a muzzleloader or bow with the intent to hunt.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah it would but I will have.a bow or ml 6 days a week until rifle season starts

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I AM CONFUSED..............................

So people without CHP'S cannot carry?

Like to the store??

Or are we talking about hunting?

:uhoh:

I'm talking about hunting...which I'll be doing eight hours a day, 6 days a week until the end of February.
That means I can't carry on my own farm until rifle season starts.:(

Now to show how stupid that law is, since the farm is my own place of business, I can conceal without a permit but.....if I don't have the permit I don't need, I can't carry at all while I have a bow....which is constantly.

Marco

I'm talking about hunting...which I'll be doing eight hours a day, 6 days a week until the end of February.

Now to show how stupid that law is, since the farm is my own place of business, I can conceal without a permit but.....if I don't have the permit I don't need, I can't carry at all while I have a bow....which is constantly.

Could you have a gun bearer? Have someone carry an extra gun for you, this person wouldn't be hunting just walking/sitting with you.

nuc65

Activist Member

I have a cross-bow and want to hunt pigs... oh, to make sure my response is on topic, I can open carry while hunting in VA. Except on Sunday when I can open carry but can't hunt wild hogs, except maybe in church with good and sufficient reason.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have a cross-bow and want to hunt pigs... oh, to make sure my response is on topic, I can open carry while hunting in VA. Except on Sunday when I can open carry but can't hunt wild hogs, except maybe in church with good and sufficient reason.

Welllll, all sharp stick poking aside;), You can OC while hunting pigs because there is not only no archery season for pig hunting, there is no season at all. They are a non game species and can be hunted anytime.

The only problem is, there are no pigs to hunt in Va except in the Dismal swamp which is off limits I believe...and farm yards.
That is unless you're talking about real ugly wimmin!:uhoh:

carsontech

Activist Member
I didn't hear about these hunting regulations in VA, until now.... I must admit, my heart rate rose and I became agitated that something like this existed, and I don't even live in VA! See the following, for those that want to know what Pete Nap is talking about:

"Legal Methods and Restrictions During Archery Deer Seasons
Special restrictions may apply during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

• Archery tackle (including crossbows) only.
  • Broadhead widths must be at least 7/8- inch wide or expand upon impact to 7/8-inch.
  • Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.
  • It is unlawful to use explosive head arrows or arrows to which any drug, chemical, or toxic substance has been added.
  • It is unlawful to use dogs, except that dogs may be used to track wounded or dead deer (see Hunting with Dogs)
  • It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted."

"Legal Methods and Restrictions During Muzzleloader Deer Seasons
Special restrictions may apply during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

• Only muzzleloading firearms, .45 caliber or larger, loaded from the muzzle of the gun.
  • Muzzleloading firearms must be single shot, capable of firing only a single bullet or saboted bullet (.38 caliber or larger).
  • Flintlock, percussion, or electronic ignitions are permitted.
  • Unlawful to have in immediate possession any firearm other than a muzzleloading firearm while hunting with a muzzleloader (see exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).
  • Unlawful to use muzzleloading pistols.
  • Must use at least 50 grains of black powder or black powder equivalent.
  • Smokeless powder is allowed in muzzleloading firearms designed for it. Never use smokeless powder of any type, in any quantity, in a muzzleloading firearm that is not specifically designed for it.
  • Scopes are permitted.
  • For the purposes of transportation in a vehicle, muzzleloading firearms are considered "unloaded" when all powder has been removed from the flashpan, or the percussion cap, primer, or battery has been removed from the firearm. For complete safety, a muzzleloader should be emptied by shooting into soft ground.
  • Unlawful to hunt deer with dogs, except that dogs may be used to track wounded or dead deer (see Hunting with Dogs)
  • It is lawful to carry archery tackle when and where there is an overlap with a deer archery and muzzleloading season."

Source:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer.asp

Here is the verbiage for the special privliges Concealed Handgun Permit Holders have :banghead: :

"Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:
  • Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
  • Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
  • Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
  • Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken.
"

Source:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
Welllll, all sharp stick poking aside;), You can OC while hunting pigs because there is not only no archery season for pig hunting, there is no season at all. They are a non game species and can be hunted anytime.

The only problem is, there are no pigs to hunt in Va except in the Dismal swamp which is off limits I believe...and farm yards.
That is unless you're talking about real ugly wimmin!:uhoh:

From http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hunting.shtml it seems regulated wrt rifle... at least in the state_parks.

False Cape State Park Deer and Feral Hog Lottery Hunt

This hunt is run in conjunction with the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The legal harvest (using shotguns) applies to deer and feral hogs. Apply online at www.vaquotahunts.com; by phone at 1-877-VAHUNTS, Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., EST; or by completing a paper application available online at www.dgif.virginia.gov or found in the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries Hunting publication. There is an application fee.

tcmech

(edited)

Back Bay NWR and False Cape State Park have a feral pig hunt every year.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
From http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hunting.shtml it seems regulated wrt rifle... at least in the state_parks.

False Cape State Park Deer and Feral Hog Lottery Hunt

This hunt is run in conjunction with the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The legal harvest (using shotguns) applies to deer and feral hogs. Apply online at www.vaquotahunts.com; by phone at 1-877-VAHUNTS, Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., EST; or by completing a paper application available online at www.dgif.virginia.gov or found in the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries Hunting publication. There is an application fee.

It's like the Sitka Deer hunt, special area. It's the area you get a permit for. Hogs are not regulated and I wish we had some to hunt.

Go to Georgia for good hog hunting.

Jonesy

It's like the Sitka Deer hunt, special area. It's the area you get a permit for. Hogs are not regulated and I wish we had some to hunt.

Go to Georgia for good hog hunting.

From all these hog shows on tv, it seems the hogs are spreading so quickly down there they are becoming a major problem.