• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Private OC List

hgreen

Due to a need to discuss OC event plans in a private manner I have created a new discussion list for us.

socalopencarry@lists.southbayopencarry.org

If you would like to join the discussion list please visit:
http://lists.southbayopencarry.org/listinfo.cgi/socalopencarry-southbayopencarry.org
and fill out the subscribe request. I'll need you to send me a PM on the forum saying who you are with your email too.

It requires admin approval to join the list, post, and view the archives.

Hopefully this will help facilitate plans for future OC events while avoiding unpleasant police interactions.

Firemark

I believe im signed up, will I get emails or is there an actual page with a forum??? Harley email me personally, so I can be schooled correctly.

Michigander

The web is about as secure as the border to canada. If you want real security, I don't suggest organizing that way. In person outdoors near no video cameras, if possible with the wind blowing, that is about the only way to know you can have a private conversation.

Not that it's a bad idea, but going by what I have seen in the far more gun friendly state of Michigan, I would count on at least a small number of those who participate occasionally being government agents. Furthermore, it is incredibly easy for those who know how to access it to hack email and other web or phone based communication, which for the sake of preparedness you may as well count on.

If your problems end up being serious enough that in some jurisdictions you can't publicly announce where a simple meet up will be, you have far more serious police problems than to be even considering simple meet ups there. For more serious activism, a risky basic minimum would be short notice emailing by the coordinator to those he or she trusts and wishes to invite. Encription would be good, but even that won't make it truly secure.

Something I suggest also for serious activist measures is meeting in "friendly territory" to brief those who volunteer, then going from there to the designated location, never ever telling anyone what is going on via the web or phone, reserving that only for in person.

hgreen

The web is about as secure as the border to canada. If you want real security, I don't suggest organizing that way. In person outdoors near no video cameras, if possible with the wind blowing, that is about the only way to know you can have a private conversation.

Not that it's a bad idea, but going by what I have seen in the far more gun friendly state of Michigan, I would count on at least a small number of those who participate occasionally being government agents. Furthermore, it is incredibly easy for those who know how to access it to hack email and other web or phone based communication, which for the sake of preparedness you may as well count on.

If your problems end up being serious enough that in some jurisdictions you can't publicly announce where a simple meet up will be, you have far more serious police problems than to be even considering simple meet ups there. For more serious activism, a risky basic minimum would be short notice emailing by the coordinator to those he or she trusts and wishes to invite. Encription would be good, but even that won't make it truly secure.

Something I suggest also for serious activist measures is meeting in "friendly territory" to brief those who volunteer, then going from there to the designated location, never ever telling anyone what is going on via the web or phone, reserving that only for in person.

The purpose is not to be invisible to LEOs, that is impossible (thank you patriot act).

Its just to make it easier so that simple google searches do not alert them to the exact time and date of planned events.

All of SBOCs past events have been very publicly planned and executed with no negative LEO interactions at the actual events. Its just that in the case of a big bad PD like LAPD, sometimes a little discretion can go a long way.

leoffensive

Just reminding folks: If I don't personally know you then you'll need to email me directly and explain who you are and someone that can vouch for you.

If you want to be on a general open OC list where we do public event planning and announcements then join this one:

http://lists.southbayopencarry.org/listinfo.cgi/southbayopencarry-southbayopencarry.org

well i cant figure out the thing you set up but ask any of the regulars in the san diego area(even some folks up north of me) and youll hear about me.

chewy357, gundude, devilnbp, coolusername, mike hunt, paleocon, etc....

Michigander

The purpose is not to be invisible to LEOs, that is impossible (thank you patriot act).

Its just to make it easier so that simple google searches do not alert them to the exact time and date of planned events.

All of SBOCs past events have been very publicly planned and executed with no negative LEO interactions at the actual events. Its just that in the case of a big bad PD like LAPD, sometimes a little discretion can go a long way.

Time will tell how well it works, with probably no serious complications. Sounds reasonable.

But again, it is possible to meet up in friendly territory, then to brief volunteers, and give people printed pages with information about where to go next. If it works for special forces soldiers making on the spot decisions about where to go next, it can work for you too. It has worked for me as well. It may end up being overkill for most applications, but when things get serious, remember that strategy. The patriot act cannot help the government figure out a plan carried out in this fashion unless they have people with long distance sound amplification equipment staged at your friendly territory meet up point, which they would also have to hack emails or phone calls to figure out. And even assuming they can pull that off, which they probably can't, you'd still catch them way off guard.

hgreen

Time will tell how well it works, with probably no serious complications. Sounds reasonable.

But again, it is possible to meet up in friendly territory, then to brief volunteers, and give people printed pages with information about where to go next. If it works for special forces soldiers making on the spot decisions about where to go next, it can work for you too. It has worked for me as well. It may end up being overkill for most applications, but when things get serious, remember that strategy. The patriot act cannot help the government figure out a plan carried out in this fashion unless they have people with long distance sound amplification equipment staged at your friendly territory meet up point, which they would also have to hack emails or phone calls to figure out. And even assuming they can pull that off, which they probably can't, you'd still catch them way off guard.

The problem we face is that this is a strictly volunteer force with no weekly meeting and with people having vastly different priorities and schedules (work, school, family, etc..) special force soldiers while on duty are paid to do this and know where and when they are supposed to do their job.

Getting people to show up for OC events in the first place is a challenge in itself!