• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Announcing Long Gun Coming Out Day, October 22, 2011.

Gundude

So who is going? I'm really considering attending this. My wife doesn't want me to bring my 4 year old daughter to a LGOC meetup even though i regularly bring her to handgun UOC events.
She isn't worried about my fellow open carriers but rather some overly zealous public servant seeing our long guns and firing on us. I tried to explain to her that law enforcement will not be surprised to see us since i'm sure they monitor this forum and RCOC has made the event no secret.
She still won't budge.

Now to find a babysitter.

Another thing you might consider. If you get arrested your child may end up with child protective services. She would then be a ward of the state.
I think it's up to the arresting officer if they call a relative or call Gov babysitters.
I may be wrong on this from watching too many cop shows on TV.

Off to get my car smog checked.

Born2Lose

Another thing you might consider. If you get arrested your child may end up with child protective services. She would then be a ward of the state.
I think it's up to the arresting officer if they call a relative or call Gov babysitters.
I may be wrong on this from watching too many cop shows on TV.

Off to get my car smog checked.

If that happened I'd have quite a collection of pants. (After i get done suing them off of everyone) If i get arrested for a legal act that's one thing..but to take my daughter would be an entirely new level of escalation.

Not really worried about that..she's so cute she'd be on every newspapers front page showing the injustice of our police state. ;)

Beretta9mm (army)

i agree, at some point (i think its already come) you are alowed to over throw the goverment. then again i come for az. my parents live in callie. as a whole i think the country is moving in the right derection. ive been in afganastand for the last 10 mounths so i havent been abil to help out for some time now. (if it counts i OC every day hear, lol) but if someone wants to let me brow a longun ill gladly walk the streets with them when i get back in jan.

Lawful Aim

i agree, at some point (i think its already come) you are alowed to over throw the goverment.

Not sure of the serious of this comment but I suggest to very careful and not use that term or employ that path. We already have a "more perfect" union and although there needs to be some major adjustment, it does not need to be overthrown. There is remedy available for those who desire to learn as only a cunning deception clouds the way.

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
As you say they may well ban long guns, but then I believe California will be awash with crossbow open carry. When those are banned, there will be many compound bows being carried. When those are banned people will carry pitchforks and pikes. When those are banned people will carry baseball bats.

+1 This is exactly it.

You can keep banning my arms until you realize that I am not the problem. The firearm is not the problem. Criminals are the problem. There will always be bad people in the world, but fortunately there will always be good ones too.

Have faith in humanity. Have faith in your fellow man. The government is not smarter or more powerful than the people. Start acting like the freemen you are. It's about showing everyone that We The People have have the power in these United States. We run the government, the government does not run us.

It is our right and our responsibly to defend ourselves, our family, and our nation. This burden is on our backs.

Thundar

+1 This is exactly it.

You can keep banning my arms until you realize that I am not the problem. The firearm is not the problem. Criminals are the problem. There will always be bad people in the world, but fortunately there will always be good ones too.

Have faith in humanity. Have faith in your fellow man. The government is not smarter or more powerful than the people. Start acting like the freemen you are. It's about showing everyone that We The People have have the power in these United States. We run the government, the government does not run us.

It is our right and our responsibly to defend ourselves, our family, and our nation. This burden is on our backs.

Exactly Joshua. There are limits on Government. It is our duty to ensure that the government does not overstep these limits. One of the tools in we the people's anti-tyranny toolbox is the right to keep and bear arms.

We are free men only when we accept nothing less than the measure of free men.

Yes, free men can fight city hall, and win. Free men can fight the state legislature, and win. Free men can fight the federal regulations system, and win. The first, and most important step in becoming a free men is to establish that we run the government at every level.

Beretta9mm (army)

i was being sarcastic. i dident mean over thrown in any phicical sence. but if kalie dosent start voting in better people to repasent them then kalie will become the next UK. im perficly ok if they do this as in the long run i think it will prove a point when they see their violent crime raize by 300% in 2 years. then they might open ther minds. i think kalie will be 20x worse than the uk thow if they keep on the track their on. when it become unsafe to go to a fredome of speach rallie with out feer of being muged on the way.

Firemark

So who is going? I'm really considering attending this. My wife doesn't want me to bring my 4 year old daughter to a LGOC meetup even though i regularly bring her to handgun UOC events.
She isn't worried about my fellow open carriers but rather some overly zealous public servant seeing our long guns and firing on us. I tried to explain to her that law enforcement will not be surprised to see us since i'm sure they monitor this forum and RCOC has made the event no secret.
She still won't budge.

Now to find a babysitter.

OC Members are in the process of liasoning with San Diego LE before this event in a face to face meet and discussions shortly. Preliminary talks show support of LE of our 1st ammendment rights and they dont have much of an issue with the OC'rs. but are concerned with aggressive detractors or confrontation from anti peoples. I suspect with the amount of discussion and groundwork we are laying the carry event should go off much like MLK carry event last year, probably no echecks, no LE confrontation, just a presence in case of problems from outside not from within.

The behaviors of local SD OC advocates the last year or two show we are not the problem, we dont provoke issues, we obey the law and work smartly with LE. So long as people maintain good barrel dicipline and etiquette we will be just fine. I believe the only issue will be with the spin media will throw on this. And we are planning to deal with media and our message to be told as plainly and without being twisted to the best of our abilities.

If anyone can attend "not carrying" to video record any and all media interviews to post online to counter any editing that would be great.

Born2Lose

I plan on wearing slacks and a collared shirt. So what's the general consensus on black rifles?
Firemark your opinion? Sam uses one in the video and it's the picture for the event on the rcoc website.

Sent from behind enemy lines using Tapatalk

Firemark

I plan on wearing slacks and a collared shirt. So what's the general consensus on black rifles?
Firemark your opinion? Sam uses one in the video and it's the picture for the event on the rcoc website.

Sent from behind enemy lines using Tapatalk

First off I feel pretty bad, I can not attend this event but I am working diligently to set things up for success. Im doing lots of leg work coordinating with LE and things are going very well. Sorry guys, but ill be there in spirit!
As far as EBR's my feeling is...this is absolutley a media circus event. it will get national coverage, I almost guarantee it. If a dozen people show up with a dozen different types of long arms, you can guarantee they will zero in and show nothing but the AR or AK platform. Can this hurt our image to the sheeple? most likely.

Id say if you can carry a traditional wood stock do it. if you cant, well you cant. Will it be used in a negative spin by media, you bet it will. There are im sure people who want to carry EBR's and be provocative. Cant make people carry specific types can we, can only make a request.

Id say if you want some advice, if you only own EBR's or AK's id say UOC a handgun to show what it was and now what it will be.... or show as a non carry videographer or to give comments to media as a plain jane citizen, at least we can use that for media presentation.

I agree button down shirts with ties or even clean professional polos would be nice. Slacks and dress shoes too. Keep the faith lots of nay sayers out there on cgn and such, just have sound bite responses ready for questions from media. It should go well.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
First off I feel pretty bad, I can not attend this event but I am working diligently to set things up for success. Im doing lots of leg work coordinating with LE and things are going very well. Sorry guys, but ill be there in spirit!
As far as EBR's my feeling is...this is absolutley a media circus event. it will get national coverage, I almost guarantee it. If a dozen people show up with a dozen different types of long arms, you can guarantee they will zero in and show nothing but the AR or AK platform. Can this hurt our image to the sheeple? most likely.

Id say if you can carry a traditional wood stock do it. if you cant, well you cant. Will it be used in a negative spin by media, you bet it will. There are im sure people who want to carry EBR's and be provocative. Cant make people carry specific types can we, can only make a request.

Id say if you want some advice, if you only own EBR's or AK's id say UOC a handgun to show what it was and now what it will be.... or show as a non carry videographer or to give comments to media as a plain jane citizen, at least we can use that for media presentation.

I agree button down shirts with ties or even clean professional polos would be nice. Slacks and dress shoes too. Keep the faith lots of nay sayers out there on cgn and such, just have sound bite responses ready for questions from media. It should go well.

Some good advice here.

I would reiterate that because of the likely media attention this will garner, that this is not the sort of event that you can 'come as you are'. The slogan t-shirts are fine at social gatherings, but its essential to step it up a notch if you are going to represent California gunowners.

In regards to a choice of perception;

Better this-
362px-Minute_Man_Statue_Lexington_Massachusetts_cropped.jpg

Than this-
716px-Marksman_in_Afghanistan.jpg

While both of these images are of men willing to stand up for their country in the name of Liberty, there is a foundational reason why Americans are predisposed to reject the appearance of soldiers and 'militaria' on their streets. It is better to be percieved as common men, than as soldiers- or worse, an unregulated paramilitary mob.

caskydiver

"You better not do _______, because if you do, they'll write a law banning it!"

You must be some kind of intellectual heavyweight to come up with an argument like that. Because what you are advocating for is, in and of itself, a de facto ban. Except that it's not a ban that exists in the real world, enforced under the threat of violence; it's a ban that exists only in the minds of those who voluntarily agree to it. If I had more "friends" like you, I wouldn't need any enemies. No, I prefer my tyranny to come in the form of men and women wearing suits and robes, who sit up on a dias, and wield pens and gavels. The State, in other words. I know those people are not my friends. I don't need anyone calling themselves my friends telling me to create tyrannies in my own mind. No, thank you, I will go about my business as a free human being without any such chains being placed on me, voluntarily or otherwise.

My reasons for carrying a firearm are entirely rational and any argument against my doing so are doomed to failure. I know this because I am the only person in existence who is responsible for my own safety. I would carry an AR-15 for the same reasons that I would carry a .45, except that carrying a .45 has now been declared a criminal act. The reasons for doing so have not changed, but they do now take on an extra emphasis as a form of political protest. Surely you would not blame a person for exercising their right to freedom of speech?

I will also not accept guilt for the irrational feelings and actions of others. I do not own them, or their feelings, or their bodies or their minds. Blaming me for the irrational feelings of another when they see me carrying a firearm is like blaming a black person for the irrational feelings of a racist. Any irrational action to any action of mine is the responsibility of the actor, not mine. Nobody is to blame for laws against the free exercise of openly carrying guns, except for those who actually wrote the laws. I do not possess the power to enact any law that may be enforced by a body of armed men; that power lies solely in the State and its agents, and I can assure you that I would never pretend to have anything to do with that organization of criminals.

VERY well put!!! I couldn't agree more.....great minds think alike. :)