• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dead relative and handgun transfer

Hostile314

My uncle just recently died a couple of days ago on the 5th and he has a handgun that his son doesn't want and his fiance doesn't want it either...what do I have to do to get it registered in my name?

kcgunfan

There is no gun registration in Missouri. My sympathies to your family.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

cshoff

+1 to what kcgunfan said above. Missouri does not have a gun registry, nor is there any kind of federal gun registry. If the rightful heirs of the gun decide to gift it to you, then it's all yours.

kcgunfan

oh ok so me and him don't need to fill out any paperwork?

There is no paperwork you could folk out even if you wanted too. Well, you could do an FFL transfer if you have more money than sense.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

cshoff

oh ok because I just want to cover my back just in case I have to use it (hope that I don't) and it's not registered in my name

It is IMPOSSIBLE to "register a handgun in your name" in Missouri. Such a registry, as has already been pointed out above, simply does not exist. Fear not, in the unfortunate event that you ever "have to use it", the gun will be seized as evidence and you won't see it again until the case is closed, but that has nothing to do with any kind of "registration".

Redbaron007

It is IMPOSSIBLE to "register a handgun in your name" in Missouri. Such a registry, as has already been pointed out above, simply does not exist. Fear not, in the unfortunate event that you ever "have to use it", the gun will be seized as evidence and you won't see it again until the case is closed, but that has nothing to do with any kind of "registration".

^^^^
Exactly!!!

Many people get confused with the FFL check as 'registering your gun'; when it is not registering your gun. The FFL has to maintain that form for a specific time frame and it can be reviewed by approved authorities; but it doesn't register it to you in a national or state database. Case in point, you could purchase the gun through a FFL and two weeks later, sell it to someone else.....no paperwork needs to be completed.

Now, some will get info from the buyer, ie drivers license, name, ssn, dob..etc...just to prove who they sold it to if the proper authorities come asking questions..however, it is not required.

Buy the gun from them and go down the road, unless you are unlawful to own a firearm, then you have other issues. :eek: