• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Novak Vs Heinie ?

exelci

Hi all
It has all come down to these two.
Any advise?
There for a USPC45

Dreamer

I assume you are talking about sights.

I'd go with Novak. Novaks pretty much invented the "low mount/concealed carry sight". They offer many options, from painted-on white dots, to tritium insert night sights, to plain black to 23kt gold inserts (which sound expensive, but aren't any more than Tritium, and are surprisingly bright and easy to see.)

Novak's shop built my Para Ordnance S-14.45. They do excellent work as a custom shop, have FANTASTIC customer support, and are just plain old-fashioned NICE folk. Plus they hail from the state where I grew up--WV.

exelci

I like gold.. Ill check those out.

What about the heinie straight 8 system? Any comments on those?

Will any of these two give me even a bit more sight radius?

Last edited:

Dreamer

I like gold.. Ill check those out.

What about the heinie straight 8 system? Any comments on those?

Will any of these two give me even a bit more sight radius?

Not that familiar with the Heine sight sets, but I always thought they had an odd shape, with milled-out channels that just seemed designed to collect lint...

But some folks like them a LOT, and several manufactures contract with Heine to produce their "factory" sights for "tactical" or CC-targeted guns, including Taurus.

Last edited:

exelci

Ok, one last question. I have a TB on the USP im not planing on getting a can for it(for now) I just have it because
It looks tacti-cool but if I go with novak and get the raised sights, will it affect my accuracy since there made to clear the can and I dont have one(yet) ?

exelci

Not a fan of the straight eight, but it's a personal thing. I'm a Novaks low mount user.

Low mounts are designed for CC. I like them to. But I have a Glock 27 for CC. The
Uspc is my OC gun so size doesnt matter much.

And I know guns are tools but I like cool tools and I think novak raised sights or
Maybe not raised but the normal ones are good looking.

Dreamer

Low mounts are designed for CC. I like them to. But I have a Glock 27 for CC. The
Uspc is my OC gun so size doesnt matter much.

And I know guns are tools but I like cool tools and I think novak raised sights or
Maybe not raised but the normal ones are good looking.

If you don't EVER plan to CC, get the regular height Novaks. They are still VERY smooth and snag-free.

Just because you OC doesn't mean you can forget about issues like snagging on clothing. I have factory PAra sights on my Para (which are essentially Bomar adjustables), and if I don't wear my shirt tucked in, they can be a little snaggy if I'm not careful. Unfortunately, nobody makes a "combat" or "low mount" sight that fits into the machining of the Bowmar. I'd have to replace the whole slide to put a Novak on it.

So I practice a lot, tuck my shirts i most of the time, and am REALLY careful when I'm wearing an untucked shirt (like Hawaiian shirts)...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have Heinie Straight Eight sights on two of my Taurus guns, I really like them. They take a little getting used to, but after a little while it feels very natural to use them.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Not that familiar with the Heine sight sets, but I always thought they had an odd shape, with milled-out channels that just seemed designed to collect lint...

My PT1911AR came with these sights installed. It's the only part of the gun I DON'T seem to collect lint on...

Also, I <3 my PT1911AR.

Yard Sale

I don't like the Novak rear with the recess:

181994.jpg

It's much too busy for a rear sight.

I much prefer something plain like this Heinie:

513-009.jpg

Speed shooting will be done with the front sight, or no sights. Difficult shooting will be done with both sights and a busy rear (dots, recess, different planes, etc.) will hinder you.

cbpeck

This is all preference, but I agree that the Heinie's aren't for me... they're just too different from most other products out there, and I don't shoot just one gun, so I like to stay with the 3 dot system.

Nothing against the Novak products, but have you considered Meprolight? IIRC, they're what H&K uses when they send a gun out of the factory with tritium sights. They're Israeli made, very high quality, and affordable. Kimber is the US importer, so all Kimbers that come with night sights come with Meprolights.

Here's a link: http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolite-night-sights-for-hk-pistols-and-handguns.html

Last edited: