• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So disappointed in Alabama

jvelie

Man, I thought the south would be gun friendly. What the heck, first off the sheriff of Baldwin county states in their pistol pamphlet that carrying a weapon is Not a right!! What planet are these LE's from?? Then I can't carry concealed in any place that serves a beer. Heck, I am sitting in a coffee shop, and just found out they have beer. Guess I better leave or be a felon. I love Alabama and fulfilled a lifelong dream of moving here, just really put out at the moment. Hope to meet some of you open carry folks here soon. I opened carried in Louisville Ky before I moved and had no issues. Maybe a brighter day is coming. Done venting. :)

Daylen

Sorry, you choose a county with an oppressive sheriff. Some counties have unrestricted permits allowing one to conceal in any location not prohibited by federal law, and courthouses. Of course the pistol permits have nothing to do with openly carrying a pistol. Be careful if you choose to OC, there have been at least 4 arrests and two convictions. If you do get charged get a change of venue OUT of any municipal court.

77zach

Man, I thought the south would be gun friendly.

The southern most states are not pro gun rights. Neoconus americanus is the most prevalent species. Boot lickin' and flag waving is what's done down here. If you want freedom, you have to find out how to eke out a living on top of a mountain somewhere out west where roads don't go.

eye95

I love how all the non-Alabamians seem to know so much about Alabama. :rolleyes:

It would be an interesting dispute in court as to whether the power of a sheriff to issue a qualified license means that he can say that the permit cannot protect you from concealed carry laws in a bar. I think it can. Some think it can't.

However, there is no question that he cannot tell you that you cannot OC in a bar. Your license is not necessary to carry in a bar, merely the approval of the owner or his agent--which may be tacit. Be aware, though, that the sheriff can revoke your license for almost any reason. You'd have to go to court to prove that the revocation was arbitrary or capricious to force the sheriff to reissue the license.

Your best course of action would be to support the bill in the legislature to fix some of these problems. Among other fixes, it makes Alabama a "shall issue" State, taking discretion away from the sheriffs. The new grassroots non-profit we are forming will be better suited to the political action needed to get it passed than the social structure that exists now. Be sure to join in and support it as we get it off the ground.