• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MC Sports (Madison) posted

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I went to MC Sports on Verona Road in Madison today to check out their handgun selection. They usually don't have a lot but the prices are good and they told me they could order anything.

Anyway, I noticed next to the front door where I had not seen it in the past, the sign starting with "For the safety of our customers: All firearms and bows... (you know the rest)" but the second paragraph on the sign went on to read "This does not apply to customers legally carrying concealed or open as per state law"

I left with a warm and fuzzy feeling; this being Madison and all.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
I went to MC Sports on Verona Road in Madison today to check out their handgun selection. They usually don't have a lot but the prices are good and they told me they could order anything.

Anyway, I noticed next to the front door where I had not seen it in the past, the sign starting with "For the safety of our customers: All firearms and bows... (you know the rest)" but the second paragraph on the sign went on to read "This does not apply to customers legally carrying concealed or open as per state law"

I left with a warm and fuzzy feeling; this being Madison and all.

I would buy something, just for the sign

protias

If I ever get out that way, looks like I'd probably buy something. It would have to be a long gun though as I don't want to make the trip twice.

RR_Broccoli

So.... what's the handgun selection like?

I had no idea that place was there, and even if the prices are a bit high the short drive for me makes it an instant win for a CC pistol or two....

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I never knew it was there either. Must be outside the Madison city limits. Draft dodging Solgin drove the firearm dealers, except for used junk dealers like "Grampa's" out of the city years ago.

TyGuy

I often see those, but the usually state that it's for firearms/bows being brought in for service or to be sold. As I am carrying for my protection I don't believe the sign applies to me, and I carry nonetheless.

Carry on!

oliverclotheshoff

mc sports is in the city limits of madison they have a madison address im not sure how they are able to seel handguns none the less when im in the area i will definately stop by

Last edited:

rcav8r

Back when gander was still in city limits, I asked them why they didn't carry handguns, which is when I found out about the zoning ordinance in madison. I ask them why didn't they ignore it, given the preemption law. They basically said they didn't want to pay the legal fees.

So, either madison is ignoring MC sports and their handguns, knowing they'd lose, or they are ignorant of the fact that they have handguns.

As an added though, would the store technically be in verona? I doubt it though.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I often see those, but the usually state that it's for firearms/bows being brought in for service or to be sold. As I am carrying for my protection I don't believe the sign applies to me, and I carry nonetheless.

Carry on!

Did you read the whole post? :confused: That is what it said.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
The ban on selling handguns in Madison lapsed a few years ago and was not renewed. MC Sports has been selling for at least 2 years (that's when I heard about the ban being over and that they had guns). It's only a couple miles from my house.

I bought a Sig Mosquito there last year. The prices are decent but the selection is not that great. They typically have a lot of Taurus stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that. Currently they also have S&W Airweight and a Bodyguard revolver, an LCR and LCP, a couple 1911's but I don't recall the brands, and a few other things...

A clerk there did tell me they could order anything at which point he pulled out a catalog as thick as a phone book. I would buy from them again.

IcrewUH60

... and they are right next door to Home Depot, which not only follows sate law on OC but also gives a 10% discount to all active duty, retired and all veterans 24/7 - just show them your DD214 or military ID card :monkey

Does MC Sports sell ammo too? I'm all out of depleted uranium quantum bore tipped 9mm for my ninja glock.

Last edited:

IcrewUH60

Kicked from MC Sports today - wife and child in tow

Went to MC Sports on Verona road today to "fit" my wife for her first ever handgun. She had her eye on the Taurus .380 or Ruger .380.
Spent about 35 minuets or longer at the counter and thoroughly inspected, handled and compared at least four different models. All while I was open carrying.

All of a sudden a younger gentleman (employee) approaches me from my left and taps me on the shoulder. The following ensues.

Him: "Sir, are you an officer of the law?"

Me: "No, I am not, why?"

Him: "You can't carry that in here. The law has not taken effect yet."

Me: "Oh, I see. But, I think you might be confused between the new concealed carry law and open carry. Open carry has been legal in Wisconsin for quite some time now. My Glock is displayed on my hip and "openly carried", so unless you have a specific policy against lawful open carry, then we shouldn't have a problem."

Him: "No sir, you cannot carry any weapons into the store."

Me: "That's your policy? You do know this is completely legal right? You might want to check with your manager before you ask us to leave."

Him: "I am the manager and yes it is against our store policy, so if you would please take it to your car and leave it there..."

Me: "No thank you, We'll shop somewhere else."

So we left (with two hand guns still on the glass and the clerks mouth on the floor) and drove to Gander and dropped $516.00 on a new Smith & Wesson 38 Bodyguard with Insight Laser and some ammo for the wife :)

I'll never step foot in any MC Sports again. This guy was so sure about this "policy", that he threw out a $500 sale, two repeat adult customers and one future (my daughter) customer. Must be nice to be able to do that in this economy.

P.s. I've been in there before open carrying and had no issues. They must have new manager training that instructs them to piss on the rights of their customers and turn away business. So it seems.

protias

So wait, he'll allow it once Act 35 goes into effect but doesn't allow people carrying in there? That's saying "Yes but no."

IcrewUH60

So wait, he'll allow it once Act 35 goes into effect but doesn't allow people carrying in there? That's saying "Yes but no."

he was confused and both my wife and I noted his shaky voice during the conversation indicating some level of fear. I honestly don't know what he will and won't allow, but I won't go back to find out, that's for sure.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
You want to know where most of the misinformation about OC and the new law is spread? The gun counter at the sporting goods stores. I was in Gander a while back and had to step in to correct the clerk three times when he was telling a lady looking at a handgun about the new law. He wasn't happy and I certainly would have minded my own business but what he was telling her could have gotten her into some serious trouble.

IcrewUH60

So is the sign still up or has it been changed that they dont let you carry in the store anymore?

I did not see any sign on the way in (I could have missed it) but what I left out originally was that after he first confronted me and told me "that wasn't allowed in here", I apologized and told him that I did not see a sign. He said that "they haven't put them up yet" ?!?!?

IcrewUH60

You want to know where most of the misinformation about OC and the new law is spread? The gun counter at the sporting goods stores. I was in Gander a while back and had to step in to correct the clerk three times when he was telling a lady looking at a handgun about the new law. He wasn't happy and I certainly would have minded my own business but what he was telling her could have gotten her into some serious trouble.

yeah, the odd thing is that the kid at the MC Sports counter had NO problem working with us while I was carrying. He even made a comment to my wife something to the effect "now this gun here is much smaller and lighter than your husband's Glock) as he pointed to my firearm.

I get lucky at Gander, somehow always end up with Tom.