• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Defense - Are You Covered?

Rollbar

I watched a video last week from USConcealed Carry. Basically for $297.00 a year you get 300K and 75K for civil. They call it "Self Defense Shield". Scroll down about 3/4 way and there is a video.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/#customer_service

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Then someone told me about Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network and said that was the one to get ( http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org ).

I would like to know your thoughts on this issue.

I am not a part of any network, nor am I promoting any, just asking a question.

Thanks,
Jim

H

Herr Heckler Koch

A decision theory expected utility estimation argues against it. First, it is unlikely to be needed. Second, it has a cost. Third, the outcome is only likely.

Like an "extended warranty" you're betting against your own interest in a quality product.

VW_Factor

I'd much rather find an attorney that I like, and trust with the matters, and put in the retainer fee.

(Generally I'm finding that a retainer is between 1500 and 2000 smacks). Well worth it IMO, if/when I find the right lawyer.

tonnere

I am a member of Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. They can refer you to a lawyer and can even show up to help your lawyer prepare the defense. They have extensive educational resources to keep you on top of your game as a gun carrying American. They have a 24 hour hotline so you can call them anytime. Like most insurance policies, I hope I never have to use it.

The Big Guy

I am a member of Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. They can refer you to a lawyer and can even show up to help your lawyer prepare the defense. They have extensive educational resources to keep you on top of your game as a gun carrying American. They have a 24 hour hotline so you can call them anytime. Like most insurance policies, I hope I never have to use it.

Link?

TBG

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I would not want to have the prosecutor point at me and say "PROOF that he was looking for his chance to gun someone down is that he spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS over the years to keep lawyers on standby! He had the gun, he had the lawyer, all he needed was the right victim!"

wrightme

I would not want to have the prosecutor point at me and say "PROOF that he was looking for his chance to gun someone down is that he spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS over the years to keep lawyers on standby! He had the gun, he had the lawyer, all he needed was the right victim!"

FUD.

Or, have you seen that used in a court of law? EVER?

Rollbar

I think in this day and age it is called being prepared. Why do we have car insurance; life insurance; some states even have uninsured motorist and the list can go on .......

I'm thinking about my family and the help we as a family will/can receive because I don't have 250k or more for an attorney; let the POOL of the network help, that is what they are there for. I just received a package from the Legal Defense Network, haven't opened it yet (busy day), but I will read it.

If you choose not to use the service that is up to you, but I don't see where your comment holds any weight, and I hope you are never on a jury if someone used a service like this for their peace of mind and well being of the family. Education is the key to most things, then experience.

I use to work at a maximum security prison and the people I have met say if they have education/experience and enough money for a lawyer they would not or their sentence would be less than what it is generally speaking.

To each his/her own, just don't carry bullets.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I hope you are never on a jury if someone used a service like this for their peace of mind and well being of the family. ...
I think it is fair to say he himself does not personally feel that way, only that he recognizes that liberals often will want to feel that way against us.

I think most of us would WANT him on our juries.

Rollbar

I think it is fair to say he himself does not personally feel that way, only that he recognizes that liberals often will want to feel that way against us.

I think most of us would WANT him on our juries.

Oh, ok, now that you put it that way.

Sorry, long day and i am half asleep. 4:15 wake up/couldn't sleep, then at the range all day after out 7am OC meet-n-eat.

I apologize I did not write that w/contempt.

Jim

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...then at the range all day after out 7am OC meet-n-eat....

Could be worse.

I spent the entire day trying to organize my tax paperwork and receipts. I am hiring someone to do my taxes for the first year EVER. I makes me wish I'd never started a real business. I don't mind paying taxes one bit, but I very much hate how complicated everything is to do properly. It's why I waited so long to start a real business and I almost regret it now.

I just want to live, help people, and make a living, paying my taxes along the way. I feel like I have to pay someone twice what I make just to see that I document it correctly.

Sorry, does it seem like I'm ranting OT? Bad day...

DVC

FUD. Or, have you seen that used in a court of law? EVER?

Not that one, but some equally as stupid. Remember that a prosecutor can say ANYTHING, and the best that defense or judge can do is tell a jury to disregard what they have just heard . . .nobody has ever managed to UNhear something. The prosecutor will pull every emotional string they can find to convince the jury that the defendant should be convicted.

While I can't imagine it being used here, I would EXPECT it in a court in, say, New York City. At Gunsite we used to hear of prosecutors there and in other places making such claims over guns which had any modification (such as trigger jobs, improved sights or stocks, etc) or "exotic" ammunition (anything other than hardball). When one defense pointed out that the police in that city used the same pistol, ammunition and modifications, the prosecutor then cried about how the defendant was "a wannabe cop" -- until the defense pointed out that he had had that pistol before the local cops did.

wrightme

Not that one,.
Then we can safely assume that it is simply a 'fear,' and not something to base a decision to not be prepared upon.

Using the same argument, a prosecutor could claim that if I paid for comp/collision and uninsured motorist coverage, and subsequently got into an accident where someone broke a law and totaled my car, that I was simply 'wanting a new car since I had insurance.'

DVC

I think in this day and age it is called being prepared. Why do we have car insurance; life insurance; some states even have uninsured motorist and the list can go on .

A valid point.

The next question is whether the underwriter will be there when you need the help.

Insurance is a pool, in which the members gamble that they will need the service, and the underwriter bets that they won't. At the rates quoted, it will take 1250 annual-dues payments to cover one max payout.

The question after that is whether the 300K/75K will pay the bills, or enough of them to make it worth the gamble. There are other legal plans which might give better bang for the buck, and be useful for a wider range of legal issues. An advantage of using one of those is that it's hard to see anything sinister in a general legal plan.

DVC

Then we can safely assume that it is simply a 'fear,' and not something to base a decision to not be prepared upon.

Using the same argument, a prosecutor could claim that if I paid for comp/collision and uninsured motorist coverage, and subsequently got into an accident where someone broke a law and totaled my car, that I was simply 'wanting a new car since I had insurance.'

Uh . . .wrightme . . ? That one HAS been used, FREQUENTLY (there are several scams which revolve around being hit by other cars). Same for fire insurance, life insurance, etc.

I've never had a bad accident, but I wear a helmet when I fly my experimental plane or ride a motorcycle, and wear a seatbelt when I drive -- not because I "fear" that an accident will happen, but because of the possibility that one might.

I believe that you should make your own choices, but should have all of the available information. If you're thinking far enough ahead to consider the possibility of ending up in court, you also need to consider the weapons which might be used against you.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

It is sad to live in a world where one even has to think about such possibilities as what some overpaid, left leaning lawyer or judge might or might think or say. My first thought too when I read this thread was that some sharp (pointy head) lawyer would use the fact that you bought insurance as a tool against you. The difference between this type of insurance and auto or home insurance is that the latter are a general requirement.

TBG

Last edited:

wrightme

Uh . . .wrightme . . ? That one HAS been used, FREQUENTLY (there are several scams which revolve around being hit by other cars). Same for fire insurance, life insurance, etc.

I've never had a bad accident, but I wear a helmet when I fly my experimental plane or ride a motorcycle, and wear a seatbelt when I drive -- not because I "fear" that an accident will happen, but because of the possibility that one might.

I believe that you should make your own choices, but should have all of the available information. If you're thinking far enough ahead to consider the possibility of ending up in court, you also need to consider the weapons which might be used against you.

Having it used does NOT mean everyone who pays for insurance is wanting to scam someone.

When you posted that you would not want to be the one, that seems to indicate you felt it wasn't a good idea to pay for 'legal insurance' because of the 'fear' of the result. It appears you are arguing against preparing for eventualities, because someone may hold that choice against you in a court of law.