• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FEDS lay down the law in seattle. Federal Prison.

jbone

The Justice Department's top official in Seattle promised Monday to start sending more people to federal prison for gun crimes

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018467653_apwaseattlegunviolence1stldwritethru.html?syndication=rss

Will we see a rash of trumped up firearms charges on law abiding citizens in order to fill this anti-gun agneda. They never have been able to control criminals with guns, so all they really have here are the good citizens to lock away. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

Batousaii

Looks like they are going after criminals in possession of firearms, repeat firearm offenders, and other pre-existing felons. This is what they SHOULD have been doing in the first place, not as a reaction to anything thats already happened. You cannot retro-actively prevent a tragedy as the ant-rights groups would have you think.

jbone

Looks like they are going after criminals in possession of firearms, repeat firearm offenders, and other pre-existing felons. This is what they SHOULD have been doing in the first place, not as a reaction to anything thats already happened.

Maybe it's just talk to put the sheep at ease. But telling the citizen’s oh-bye-the-way, we’re going do our jobs now kind of makes them look like idiots. That’s why I think they may be head hunting campaign in the works. Regular Joes with guns will make better anti-gun headlines in Seattle then criminals.

lockman

State Researcher
Looks like they are going after criminals in possession of firearms, repeat firearm offenders, and other pre-existing felons. This is what they SHOULD have been doing in the first place, not as a reaction to anything thats already happened. You cannot retro-actively prevent a tragedy as the ant-rights groups would have you think.

This being the case does that mean the US Attorney's office has been derelict in their duties up until now?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It appears that the US Attorney's office is admitting their failure to prosecute violent felons in possession of firearms.... failure to execute the tough laws that they have advocated for in the past.

It appears that the US Attorney's office is admitting to their already being enough 'gun laws' on the books to prosecute violent criminals and no other laws are needed.

Batousaii

Lockman, I'd say "YES" - very. GoGo and Jbone, I'd agree with you, does seem like they are admitting (without actually admitting) that they should have been prosecuting and following through with these "tough laws" against criminals.

I dont really think they will go head-hunting Mr.Citizen, not unless there is some reasoning behind it. The media may try to spin or latch stories, make it sound like Mr.Regular guy, but if you/we are following the law, i don't see the federal gov going after you/us. Things like that end up in the lap of the supreme court faster than state side prosecutions, they know this, and avoid it.

If the fed indeed start to play hard ball against real hardened criminals, it may in fact be a good thing for the rest of us. As OC/CC and Gun ownership goes up, and crime starts start dropping even faster with help from the feds, then we have a favorable statistic in our favor yes? - Cross Your Fingers, lets hope they do the right thing!

:dude: Bat

Last edited:

amzbrady

"If you bring a gun to a crime, you will do time" What if the police bring a crime to my gun? Guess I'll be going down. They said on KEPR action news that this is due to the recent shootings.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

This being the case does that mean the US Attorney's office has been derelict in their duties up until now?

The last 10 years before I retired (1988-1998) we took several fed cases to the USAtty, only to have them declined because they did not meet the threshold for prosecution. (Threshold means note`worthy of the press)

amlevin

The last 10 years before I retired (1988-1998) we took several fed cases to the USAtty, only to have them declined because they did not meet the threshold for prosecution. (Threshold means note`worthy of the press)

And there you have it.

How about this:

Children under 18 have to be convicted of illegal gun possession five times before they are sent to a state Juvenile Rehabilitation Authority facility for 15 weeks, ]
he said.

No wonder the older, wiser, gangsters let the young punks carry the guns. Keep the kid close so you can get your hands on a gun if you need it and then give it to the kid so he can take the 'rap'. After all, 4 times are a free ride and the 5th only means a "vacation in Juvie".

Eeyore

I read much attempt at new gun control legislation in that article.

Disagree. This is more along the lines of what gun owners have long advocated: enforce the laws already on the books rather than pass new, more-restrictive [but ineffective] laws.

Project EXILE has been relatively effective in Richmond, VA. The thugs may or may not "get off easy" on the state charges, but then they get turned over to the Feds to face additional charges (illegal possession, use of a gun for a felony, etc.). The bottom line (as the billboards in Richmond say): "Use a gun to commit a crime, go to jail." Period.

Difdi

"If you bring a gun to a crime, you will do time" What if the police bring a crime to my gun? Guess I'll be going down. They said on KEPR action news that this is due to the recent shootings.

When the Columbine shootings happened, Colorado had the toughest laws and policies in the nation against guns in schools. Tougher than the laws a lot of places passed in response to Columbine.

I expect more of the same here. And I expect it to be just as effective. After all, we don't call people criminals due to their profound respect for the law, nor their refusal to ever break the law.

jbone

Disagree.

I'd like to agree, but this is Seattle. It’s not about felons with guns, and it’s going to be about guns in Seattle, period. There's to much anti history in Seattle for this not to have underlying motive. IMO, Felons-in-Possession is the cover story.

We know anti’s attack from every direction with multple angles, this one may just be another, and with a touch of deception.

jbone

I'd like to agree, but this is Seattle. It’s not about felons with guns, and it’s going to be about guns in Seattle, period. There's to much anti history in Seattle for this not to have underlying motive. IMO, Felons-in-Possession is the cover story.

We know anti’s attack from every direction with multple angles, this one may just be another, and with a touch of deception.

Yep, what's going on is as clear as can be!

This thread is another indicator that they are all teamed up on this one. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?103705-Anti-Gun-Groups-and-City-To-Meet-At-Town-Hall