• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Salem coliseum grounds

thedevilrobyjohn

Im heading to Salem for tha fair. There are always police writing tickets for various things on parked cars. I asked one how do you write a ticket for a legally parked car that is not occupied....he replied that it is city property and a public right of way...so its the same as if on the road. They write for inspections, registrations, etc. Ok, if it is city property...then can I carry inside the fair...not in the coliseum but on coliseum grounds? Any help or experience here?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Im heading to Salem for tha fair. There are always police writing tickets for various things on parked cars. I asked one how do you write a ticket for a legally parked car that is not occupied....he replied that it is city property and a public right of way...so its the same as if on the road. They write for inspections, registrations, etc. Ok, if it is city property...then can I carry inside the fair...not in the coliseum but on coliseum grounds? Any help or experience here?

You might wait for some advice on this one. I have this vague recollection of police opposition and something quirky about the Salem coliseum. I think this has come up before, but can't recall anything about it.

You might try the search feature in the meantime.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Your recollection is accurate.

I wouldn't let that dissuade anyone from attending the fair, however. I plan to attend with my family this year.

Yeah, but there was something quirky about it. Or, maybe instead of the coliseum, maybe it was the Civic Center. I don't recall. I just have this vague recollection of the government twisting things in its favor against OC or something.

Sesrun

Yeah, but there was something quirky about it. Or, maybe instead of the coliseum, maybe it was the Civic Center. I don't recall. I just have this vague recollection of the government twisting things in its favor against OC or something.

I believe the quirk you are thinking of is in regards to the Civic Center (or any public land) where a non governmental organization/company leases the property for use from the county/city and can set their own rules banning firearms outside of preemption. I believe the Salem Fair, however, does not fall under that quirk as it is funded by the City of Salem and is not under a leased arrangement.

ETA: "(or any public land)" and "from the county/city" for further clarification.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

went well

approached the fair entrance, LARGE sign stating all that is prohibited....drugs and such....then "illegal weapons prohibited"... my remington .45 isnt illegal so I proceeded. Damn if it didnt rain, im like a rain dance with my steel guns. No problems, some looks. As I exited, saw several state troopers eyeballing my piece but said nothing, they had dogs, lots of dogs and bigger fish to angle for. It was actually peaceful....open carried all through Roanoke and Martinsville, im sitting in a nice motel now with a full booking in the whole city of Martinsville due to some lacross tournament that drew people from Maryland, Pa, about five states. Got my glock, no rain....Desert Eagle....RAIN. Lots of looks from the out of towners but the motel clerk actually walked with me, rode the elevator alone and showed me the last remaining room they had while I open carried with my new Bianchi 101 loop holster....loved the new holster so much I got 2 at town police supply $11 each. No problems anywhere....Tokyo express, Biscuitville, Town police supply, etc. Found 2 brand new factory five seven 20 round mags at town for $30 each...they are RARE, $100 each online....damn happy

thedevilrobyjohn

yep

This? Looks pretty cool. Definitely a very OPEN carry holster.

TFred
I love it, got one for both sides....wish I had thought of this simple money maker. most of the time I wear a gun belt through no pant loops, it allows strong side draw, cross draw , mexican(holstered) and weak hand calvary draw by simply sliding my holster, also allows me to slide holster for any sort of reason while wearing my regular belt to hold my pants on my fat butt...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Whachewtalkinbout, Willis?

'Splain yourself, Lucy.

stay safe.

All it is is a piece of leather. You put your gun between the thing and your belt.

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Its not what I expected June 21, 2013
By Jack G.
Amazon Verified Purchase
Theres no photo of someone using it, so I thought it was a holster you put on your belt. Turns out, it just adds an outer layer to your belt, to create a pocket to holster then gun. I honestly have not tried to wear it, I imagine the retention is just ok. The leather is good, because its bianchi, but other than that. Its just ok.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
You do realize it's not a holster, don't you Tess?

It's designed to hold the gun, and cover the trigger guard. Holster in my book. I'm not sure I'd want to carry with it all the time, but I do like its simplicity. And when you're my size, you don't worry about anything being too loose.

Yes, I realize some would call it a half-holster; its first mention in this thread called it a loop holster.