• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rookie Cop "Accidentally" shoots, kills innocent man

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
An accidentl discharge happens when a gun fires afterv the built-in safety features fail. An accident is something that happens in spite of precautions to prevent the action from happening.

A negligent discharge happens when the gun goes bang when the person holding it manipulates the firing mechanism at a time when they did not intend for the gun to go bang.

It does appear that the cop has good combat accuracy. Maybe not the best time to bring that up?

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He's not a rookie anymore ! First kill !

If the victim's family members have an accidental discharge involving the rookie I wonder if they'll have a nice press conference about that too.

END_THE_FED

Funny how a chunk of metal on the chest and a fancy costume will transform negligence into an "accident".

A young child lost his father because of the reckless and negligent actions of this "officer". I hope the faces of the victim and his son haunts this "officer" for the rest of his life.

I think the rookie's partner has some responsibility here too. As the senior officer I feel he had a responsibilty to tell the rookie to holster his weapon until there is a threat.

This wasn't an "alarm response" to a closed business where a break in was suspected. This wasn't an abandoned building they were clearing in search of a suspect. This was an occupied residential building, this was peoples home. Did he really expect to walk through the building without seeing any residents? This is not an accident, this is negligence.

ODAAT

I think the rookie's partner has some responsibility here too. As the senior officer I feel he had a responsibilty to tell the rookie to holster his weapon until there is a threat.

This wasn't an "alarm response" to a closed business where a break in was suspected. This wasn't an abandoned building they were clearing in search of a suspect. This was an occupied residential building, this was peoples home. Did he really expect to walk through the building without seeing any residents? This is not an accident, this is negligence.

I felt the same way when I read it. My first question was "was the partner senior to him, or another rookie?" If senior to him, the partner had a responsibility to prevent the stupidity. If another rookie, NYPD needs to be held responsible for THAT stupidity.

Under no circumstance was the wielding of a service weapon by a fekkin rookie acceptable in that situation...

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Did the cop get to go home safely? Please tell me the cop got to go home. They keep telling us that is what matters.

OC for ME

...pitch black...hmm, one "unsettled" cop and one not so unsettled cop. Did the other cop know his "partner" had unholstered his service weapon? Why am I not surprise that NYPD is involved.

Ken56

This is New York after all, you know that Bratton will protect his own and maintain the "unfortunate accident" mantra. Damn good shot for an accident. To me this speaks to the disparity of justification between civilians self defense and the police shooting innocent people. A civilian would be in jail and most likely convicted of negligent homicide if not murder 1 under these same circumstances. Officer friendly will be protected and coached on writing his report of what happened. If this officer is charged it will be a cold day in hell.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Damn good shot for an accident.

Considering the NYPD are highly skilled professionals who would never intentionally discharge their service weapons without the appropriate and safe backstop of a nearby crowd, I think it's safe to say this particular shot was an accident.